HS Sr benches 700lbs

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/msn/texas_high_school_senior_matt_poursoltani_lifts_700_pounds_rivals_nfl_bench_press_record_video/13226986

I cant believe this is possible, naturally that is.

Robbie Mullins at Clintwood benched 405lbs and thats incredibly impressive.

That's more than cancelled out by his 6.2 second 40-yard-dash and his steroid-induced infertility.

Those kinds of lifts are augmented by the bench shirts and the fact that hes got an 8-10 inch drop to his gut and back up.

I saw the vid on yahoo a fe days ago, and i do have to say that is very impressive regardless.

Those kinds of lifts are augmented by the bench shirts and the fact that hes got an 8-10 inch drop to his gut and back up.

I saw the vid on yahoo a fe days ago, and i do have to say that is very impressive regardless.

Bench shirts???? They make you stronger/able to life more weight???

Agree in the fact he does have a very short "press"...seems to have very short arms in conjunction with a barrel chest...

Bench shirts help, his frame helps but I cant see how an 18 year old does that without steroids. I just dont believe its possible. And really is it safe to be benching 700 lbs? The chance of getting hurt goes up when lifting that kind of weight. What applicable use does that have in sports? unless the kid is a weightlifter. I cant see how benching that much really helps on the football field. once youre up over 400 lbs I would think it would be better to focus on reps and not max

What sports does this kid play? I know for football (and most other sports where strength is really helpful) lifting that much weight will be beneficial, but only if he has proper technique as well. You can benchpress a small car, but if you can't move properly, it's pretty much all for naught.

I have never heard of someone being to strong. LOL! I would find him a spot on my team if he wanted to play. He could be just a strength guy and based on his size and these numbers it is probably where he should focus his time.

I have never heard of someone being to strong. LOL! I would find him a spot on my team if he wanted to play. He could be just a strength guy and based on his size and these numbers it is probably where he should focus his time.

Being too strong isn't the issue (at least not the issue I was referring to). Proper technique can find its way around strenght. Now, if that kid has technique to go with that insanely strong body, then the opposing teams better watch out!

There is no such thing as being "too strong" but at a certain point being able to bench a smaller weight more times is better than being able to bench a volkswagen. Its all about application. I just cant see it being a huge benefit to bench 700lbs, focus should be on getting 225 up as many times as possible. I cant see why a strength coach would direct a kid to this goal. Unless of course his focus is weightlifting and not football. The big question to me is can the kid apply that force 5 times in a row before he wears out or can he apply it 35 times in a row wibefore he wears out. Strength is good but without endurance its not very useful.

I would take a kid who can bench 350x8 over one who can bench 700x1. That strength translates to the field better

Edited by redtiger

I would take a kid who can bench 350x8 over one who can bench 700x1. That strength translates to the field better

How do you know he can't bench 350X8??? If he pushed 700, I'm sure 350 is probably a warm-up for him...

could be, but alot of the time when an athlete focuses only on his max(what it would take for a HS kid to reach that kind of max weight) he doesent have any endurance. Once he does more than 5 reps in a set hes done. Weightlifting for football should be geared toward football; I dont think he will be seeing any 700lb Guards on the football so benching 700lbs isint really important. He will be seeing alot of 250-300lb guards an he will have to push them around 40+ times a game. A high max is important but endourance and being able to apply that strength the whole game is more important.

Now ive never been around anyone that benches anything close to what this kid did so maybe once you reach 600+lbs you can just destroy anything under 400lbs as many times as you want, I dont know.

Lifting large weights is more dangerous than lifting smaller weights(350lbs is alot but smaller than 700). The chances of muscle tears and joint damage are higher, not to mention just the inherent danger of moving that kind of eight around.

I just cant see how benching over 450lbs or so helps him play football better.

When Trent Richardson was at Alabama, he regularly benched 600 + lbs. The coaches refused to let him try anything more than that for fear of injury. After Trent went to the NFL, he maxed out at 705. This is a guy who is known as a gym rat and has been lifting since he was a young teenager. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this 17-year-old lifting 700 lbs. unless he is pumped full of steroids, and even then it's hard to comprehend.

Edited by blueinbama

I've never really understood the whole power lifting fascination with some people. I worked at the WVU student rec center for four years and the majority of the meat heads I encountered were the biggest douche bags ever. Not to mention that a lot of the attractive girls that I worked with would just make fun of them the whole time.

I've never really understood the whole power lifting fascination with some people. I worked at the WVU student rec center for four years and the majority of the meat heads I encountered were the biggest douche bags ever. Not to mention that a lot of the attractive girls that I worked with would just make fun of them the whole time.

Times must have changed...because when I was a skinny kid at the gym...I found it was me that was laughed at by the girls...The meatheads seemed to have girls hanging off of them...

Times must have changed...because when I was a skinny kid at the gym...I found it was me that was laughed at by the girls...The meatheads seemed to have girls hanging off of them...

A lot of these guys use to be the the skinny kids who got picked on when they were younger. Weight lifting became their outlet. Although their image may change a lot of them still have insecurities and low self esteem that turns some girls off.

I like powerlifting, theres nothing like putting your hands on that bar and challenging yourself. but I despise steroids, it completly undermines what you are doing(I hate lifting shirts too, artificial inflation of #s, plain and simple). knowing that 8 reps will be hard but YOU WILL get 10, or knowing that the last time you maxed you got 305lbs on your bench but this time YOU WILL get 335. Theres nothing like it. Weight lifting challenges you as an individual, I assume much in the same way wrestling does. I dont understand being a jerk about it but I do understand the desire to lift hard and to be proud of what you have done.

blueinbama, its an incredible #, even with steroids. Almost beyond belief