More VHSL realignment goodness

RichlandsAlum

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/Item%2033-final-adopted-conference-alignment-plan-for-2013-14-and-2014-15.pdf

I would submit that the members of "Conference 3" deserve some kind of recognition for having the alignment that makes the least sense from a geographic perspective. I'm basing this argument on the fact that the shortest possible vehicular distance from Franklin County to Varina is 168 miles.

SW Virginia folks always have legitimate reasons to gripe, but I have a hard time seeing how anyone is going to get hosed worse than PH-Roanoke and Franklin County. Traveling mid-week to Richmond for a volleyball tournament should be lots of fun.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/Item%2033-final-adopted-conference-alignment-plan-for-2013-14-and-2014-15.pdf

I would submit that the members of "Conference 3" deserve some kind of recognition for having the alignment that makes the least sense from a geographic perspective. I'm basing this argument on the fact that the shortest possible vehicular distance from Franklin County to Varina is 168 miles.

SW Virginia folks always have legitimate reasons to gripe, but I have a hard time seeing how anyone is going to get hosed worse than PH-Roanoke and Franklin County. Traveling mid-week to Richmond for a volleyball tournament should be lots of fun.

You aren't kidding: that's a major hosing, and I sympathize with those Roanoke and Franklin County kids.

But there is a solution. Two, actually. And you might guess what they are...

Conferences are based on school size...not distance. They are for post season play only (basically replacing district tournaments). The districts in the regular season are based on travel and scheduling.

Those are just conference alignments. You will still have districts. So they can be in a district closer to there location.

Remember you can have different classes in a district.

This was my first thought.... At least it'll only come into play come playoff time. They'll have to compete against schools similar in size in the playoffs....their district foes or whoever fills out their schedule will be much closer... But still, sucks for them. I don't think there is another solution, it wouldn't be fair to have them compete for state titles in a lower classification...

I understand completely the nuances between districts and conferences. My point is that those schools are going to be at a unique disadvantage when postseason play commences. Unless their conference mates are either particularly magnanimous or just have some burning desire of their own to experience Roanoke and/or Rocky Mount, the conference tournaments will be in the Richmond area.

Traveling a few hours to play in the higher echelons of the postseason is a reasonable expectation. I don't see any other schools who will have to face that kind of cost at the very beginning of the process.

The upshot.... The City of Roanoke should give serious consideration to either jiggling the attendance lines between PH and Fleming or constructing a third high school. And the good folks in Franklin County should also be thinking about another school of their own.

The upshot.... The City of Roanoke should give serious consideration to either jiggling the attendance lines between PH and Fleming or constructing a third high school. And the good folks in Franklin County should also be thinking about another school of their own.

Pretty sure that was up for discussion in Franklin Co. in the not too distant past...don't think too many for for such an idea...

Pretty sure that was up for discussion in Franklin Co. in the not too distant past...don't think too many for for such an idea...

It's also problematic because the General Assembly (or at least the Senate Education Committee) is actively promoting school consolidation statewide. Maybe the solution occurs when Bedford, Montgomery, Pittsylvania, and Campbell counties are each represented by a singular high school.

We have a winner...

I understand completely the nuances between districts and conferences. My point is that those schools are going to be at a unique disadvantage when postseason play commences. Unless their conference mates are either particularly magnanimous or just have some burning desire of their own to experience Roanoke and/or Rocky Mount, the conference tournaments will be in the Richmond area.

Traveling a few hours to play in the higher echelons of the postseason is a reasonable expectation. I don't see any other schools who will have to face that kind of cost at the very beginning of the process.

I doubt you'd see much taxpayer support for building a third high school in Roanoke just so PH could play in a different classification. Having lived in Roanoke, I doubt many PH parents would be thrilled about having to send their kids to Fleming either.

A second high school would be justified in Franklin County given that its population has increased somewhere around 40% in the last 20 years. But again, this comes back to cost. I don't know how old the current high school is but if the need for a new school arises, I would guess they would look at just replacing or renovating the existing one instead.

I doubt you'd see much taxpayer support for building a third high school in Roanoke just so PH could play in a different classification. Having lived in Roanoke, I doubt many PH parents would be thrilled about having to send their kids to Fleming either.

A second high school would be justified in Franklin County given that its population has increased somewhere around 40% in the last 20 years. But again, this comes back to cost. I don't know how old the current high school is but if the need for a new school arises, I would guess they would look at just replacing or renovating the existing one instead.

You are right about not having taxpayer support in reference to building a third high school within the City of Roanoke. For those of you who are not familiar with the geographic divisions of Roanoke City schools, William Fleming represents the NW side while Patrick Henry represents the SW side. There are also two private schools ... North Cross and Roanoke Catholic. Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, and Northside are Roanoke County schools.

I lived in Roanoke for almost 10 years. It would be hard to think Roanoke City would be able to agree on anything as politically charged as a third high school. Just look at recent events such as rebuilding Fleming and PH as well as the whole Victory Stadium debacle.

Roanoke didn't just renovate Fleming and PH, they tore them down and completely rebuilt new buildings.

New school district lines have been kicked around for years in Roanoke City but are a bit racially charged. PH alumni tend to be more affluent, live in more affluent areas of the city, and have more pull and support with city council. Fleming is more of the stereotypical "inner city" school that gets PH leftovers. It took a court ruling for Fleming to get it's own football facilities at the new high school. They were forced to use PH's facilities for several years after the new high schools were completed.

As for Franklin County, I mentioned on this site before, the powers that be in and around Smith Mountain Lake have wanted their own high school for years. Eventually, Ron Willard will get what he wants. He always does!

When Jefferson was closed back in the 70's comments were made that the closure was due to race and to allow PH and Fleming to get the Jefferson athletes. Franklin will eventually need to do something if it keeps growing. Building new schools right now is an expensive proposition- can wreck a localities finances in a hurry- as Wise County is finding out.

Just to jump in on the consolidation talk, Dickenson County has started construction on Ridgeview. Timber has been removed from the property and some grading has begun. Projected opening is fall of 2015.