Rebels vs Trojans

Rebel_girl_13

PHs win streak ends Friday night. Battle is a very solid team and PH has played a weak schedule so far. 

PH has really improved and has a chance at a .500 record this year, that's a big improvement over where they were a few years ago.

Hard to believe PH used to dominate this rivalry, winning 9 out of 10 from 1999-2008.Rebels might surprise, but Battle should roll

that's wild!   Shows just how bad Battle was, PH wasn't exactly dominant in those years

Hard to believe PH used to dominate this rivalry, winning 9 out of 10 from 1999-2008.Rebels might surprise, but Battle should roll

Are you sure it was that bad? I mean, I can only specifically remember one year beating PH (my senior year in the 06 season), but I don't think PH won 9 out of 10 in those years.

Quite a few Falcon fans went to watch PH play last week since we were off. This is definately not the PH of recent memory. Granted they were not playing a top tier team, but they looked very sound. They have a dynamic offense and the defense seems very solid. Most expect Battle to win this. Remember just a couple of years back Battle was a cellar dweller and look at how they are thought of now. This could possibly be a very good game.

Quite a few Falcon fans went to watch PH play last week since we were off. This is definately not the PH of recent memory. Granted they were not playing a top tier team, but they looked very sound. They have a dynamic offense and the defense seems very solid. Most expect Battle to win this. Remember just a couple of years back Battle was a cellar dweller and look at how they are thought of now. This could possibly be a very good game.

This is going to be a great game.

Things are finally changing in Emory! Good to see a Rebel fan here defending her team. Coach Palmer inherited a total mess and has things going in the right direction. But i have to agree with the other posters for this week, Battle wins by a wide margin.

Congrats to the Rebel team and staff for getting things heading in the right direction!

This game could be much closer than most think.  PH has the chance for an upset here.  JSB may overlook PH and PH has too many athletes to do that.  If this were ESPN and I was Kirk Herbstreit I would put JSB on "upset alert". 

From Tim Hayes...Mister HS FB "history researcher"

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports1h

John Battle and Patrick Henry High School's varsity football teams have played every season since 1960.

One of the most memorable games in the Patrick Henry-John Battle #HCFH rivalry was a 0-0 tie in 1968

And a legendary VHSL football coach associated with  both schools...

Both Patrick Henry and John Battle have connections to famed #SWVA coach Phil Robbins: He was Assistant at PH, later head coach at JB

Great State

Just out of curiosity, how many games have Battle's opponents won? VHS = 1, LHS = 1, AHS =1, and HHS = 2? Is that correct?

Do you have the stats on these games too? Fact is Battle is 4-0 and your Falcons well.......enough said!!

I should have changed that because after this Friday. AHS will have 2 in the win column.

Well...we'll just have to settle this tonight. Things gonna be a really good game. I actually asked a coach how he thought we were gonna do and he said it depends on who wants to play. I've asked several varsity guys at school and they said we are going to win. I asked some JV guys and they said lose. So who know but it's on a be a really good game tonight.

Yes you beat us...We handed you all 14 of those points.  Take those away and it may have been a different story, however, that wasn't the case and Battle won the game because the deserved to win the game.  We will just see what the rest of the season has in store.

PH has the right man in place to turn the program around.   I think that is pretty obvious just from watching them improve over the past few years.  With that said... You don't go from from 1-9 to 10-0 over night.   Most people think that Battle did but I was there....Let me explain.   We went 0-10 in 2008...3-7 in 2009 by playing a lot of young kids.  4-6 in 2010,  6-4 in 2011 and earned a playoff birth with those same young kids we started in 2009.   Last year those young kids were SR's and had set a great example for the kids that were following them as far as work ethic goes.  They went 9-1 and advanced on to the state semifinals.  That work ethic that they've passed on to the kids below them is showing up this season.

It's a process....it doesn't happen overnight.   That's why I hate to see programs fire coaches every 2-3 years.  You never get anywhere, just ask John Battle fans.     Give Palmer time and he'll have PH competing with good teams.    Anyone that is giving PH a hard time over their "weak" schedule is crazy.   You have to start somewhere, you have to build a winning attitude within your program.   At Battle...our 3 wins in 2009 came against Twin Springs, Patrick Henry and Castlewood.  As coaches, we knew we had a long way to go...but it gave our kids confidence that their work was paying off to a degree...and made them want to invest even more into the program.   In 2010..our 4 wins came against Twin Springs, Holston, Patrick Henry and.. Honaker!.  We all remember what happened that year to derail the season...but that Honaker win was our 1st signature win and we built off of that in the off-season.        The next year was a 6-4 year with a playoff loss to the eventual D2 state champion Gretna.  Still not great but we kept improving with each year...... and then Last year they made it all the way to the state semifinals.    

All of that, to get to this---- PH fans/players shouldn't get discouraged after this Friday night.  I think that Battle will win this game by 3-4 td's but PH has a shot to win 4-6 games this year.   That is a tremendous amount of progress no matter who the wins come against.     It's a process and can be tough...but you've got to crawl before you can walk.     Be patient and enjoy the process.

Battleftbl I love reading the posts on here and they amuse me. Your post is probably the best I have ever read. You get it and you are exactly right about Battle. I think from here on out they will always be a threat every Friday night because of what you described in your post. It is a process for any team to turn things around when the team has been down for a while. Great post and good luck

Just to praise myself a little I said PH getting Palmer was a good move and said so on here. The man fielded competitive teams at St Paul and Ervinton, that is something very few coaches in swva could do.

PH is gonna take one on the chin tonight but thats gonna happen some as a program grows. The players/community need to keep their heads up, they are well on their way to being considered a good program. PH has 3 wins which is incredible compared to where they were a few years ago.

And as far as their schedule, I say leave it more or less the same. When they win the Hogo and blast those weaker opponents by 50 then they can upgrade it some. Until then they are still growing/developing.