1st Round Matchups

redtiger

Is Galax still running the same offense they were in 2011?

Yes.  The freshman QB has a grasp on the entire offense now also and has been playing very well.  He didn't have a handle earlier in the season which probably contributed in some way to the slow start.

Since im a nice guy

1Haysi/16Eastside ------------------------------------- 

I -----------------------------------

8G. Wythe/9Galax --------------------------------------                                             I

I-----------------------------------------------

4Chilhowie/13Auburn  ---------------------------------                                             I

I -----------------------------------

5Clintwood/12JI Burton -------------------------------                                                                At this point the highest remaining West Seed

hosts the lowest remaining East seed and the

lowest remaining West seed travels to the highest  

remaining East seed.    State Semis

2F. Chiswell/15R. Retreat -----------------------------                                                               

I ----------------------------------

7Holston/10Radford -------------------------------------                                           I

I ------------------------------------------------

3Honaker/14Bath Co. ----------------------------------                                            I

I ------------------------------------

6Covington/11Northwood ----------------------------

well I cant believe I just did that and it worked

Yes.  The freshman QB has a grasp on the entire offense now also and has been playing very well.  He didn't have a handle earlier in the season which probably contributed in some way to the slow start.

I was wondering, I really like their offense, obviously influenced by the Gibbs/Redskins offense. Really features 1 back and has a lot of passing opportunities. Very unique style for small school ball.

I haven't seen them this year but their colors are Blue and Yellow, mascot Hawks, run a Spread offense (usually 3 wide w/ a TE or 4 wide), a lot of QB runs and screens. Athletes at every position. Traditionally that's what Gretna is. 

Just my thoughts as far as the 1st round goes:

Haysi over Eastside, 41-13

Galax over George Wythe, 35-11

Chilhowie over Auburn, 27-21

Clintwood over JI Burton, 42-16

Honaker over Bath Co., 31-15

Covington over Northwood, 34-18

Fort Chiswell over Rural Retreat, 47-6

Radford over Holston, 30-17

Looks about right to me, I think the margin ov victory for Honaker will be higher. That's not a shot at BC, the Tigers are gonna be mad!

Agree gretna has better match ups for the Bearcats but a passing team can and I think will beat Giles graham had over 200 yards on them and should have beat them but had turn overs at bad times in the game

Too low.

Too low.

Too low.

A little too low.

Much too low.

A little too low.

About right.

About right.

Agree gretna has better match ups for the Bearcats but a passing team can and I think will beat Giles graham had over 200 yards on them and should have beat them but had turn overs at bad times in the game

I am the biggest Graham Homer on this site..... and NO Graham should not have beaten Giles...... Yes, they did have success and it was a very entertaining game....but Giles scored on every possession (except for maybe 1) against Graham.....Graham couldn't even slow them down....  I believe Graham has made some defensive changes and hopefully have benefited on defense from that since.  But at the time....Graham had no chance to stop them.

But I do agree that a good passing team has a shot against Giles.  They will have to have good speed on defense as well, because Giles had some deceptively fast running backs.

Anything on Gretna?

Galax faced them in a controlled scrimmage in mid August.  Gretna pulled away in the latter sessions but it was pretty even among the starters.  Very quick team overall.  Not much size though.

Giles was highly praised last year also....but they weren't physical and didn't really stack up against Battle's athletes either.

They may be better than last year...but I cant imagine that they're untouchable by any means.

yeah I think the 2nd and 3rd seeds in 1A west is prob better matchup wise than 1 seed because of who you will get in 2nd round.  However, gotta play everybody anyway so might as well welcome whoever comes to haysi and see what happens.  makes no difference to me anyway because i'm in win it all or nothing mode anyway.  get the ring.  i believe this haysi team, if playing well and taking care of the ball, is good enough to beat any 1A team in the state.

Agreed on all points. District has been won, there only one more prize to be had and its gonna be a fight every week to get it done. It starts with Eastside and their 10,000 passing yards this season. They gave Honaker a hard time when they played this season.

I told several people on here privately that I thought this Haysi team was gonna be good and could be special but I did not expect them to play as well as they have been.

and you're right battleftbl, Battle was stronger and more athletic than Giles last season. Imo 2A is wide open. Giles is not unbeatable and Union, while solid, has shown some weaknesses this season. Every 2A West game should be a good one, there will be several upsets imo.

Too low.

Too low.

Too low.

A little too low.

Much too low.

A little too low.

About right.

About right.

A couple of the predicted scores may be low, but for the Honaker game, Bath County has a pretty good past in the post-season.  I think it might be tight in the first half and then the Tigers wear them down and pull away in the second half.  Hope I'm wrong, but a win is a win and that is needed to move on to round 2.