"Fan" behavior

sixcat

running up the score is about the margin of the lead, 40 points imo. if the score is 35-7, i see nothing wrong with scoring again.If the score is 48-35, I see nothing wrong with the leading team scoring again. If it rubbing the losing teams nose in it, yeah a little. Is it the move of a gentleman? no. But its not a jerk move either.

Now if the score is 58-14 and the leading teams scores again with the 1st team offense, thats not right imo.  

just my opnion on the subject.

me personally, im all about letting the backups get some playing time.

The same people who complain about running up the score usually fail to realize that more often than not, they'd do the same thing if they were in that position.

Running up the score isn't called for. At the same time, your team should stop the other team.

Like in '04 Powell Valley vs. Giles in state semis. For those who remember, that game will always have the memory of "the play." Powell Valley was up 35 to 6 with a minute left in the game. They went for it on 4th down and it ended up being a 90 or so yard touchdown play.

Should Powell Valley have just punted the ball away and let it go since the game was decided? Yes. I don't blame the Giles people who took that as a slap in the face. Then again, Giles' defense should have stopped it.

More times than not, if the defense stops the play, you will hear nothing about "running up the score."

My favorite example of this happened in the 2001 Graham-Richlands game. Graham was up 14-0 late in the 4th, around 90 seconds to go, 2nd down and 7 or so. Bradshaw takes the simplest dive you'll ever see and breaks through the porous defense for a TD. The final ended up being 21-0.

I know there are some Richlands fans still butthurt over Graham scoring that TD. The amount of whining over that call was hilarious. You'd think Graham would've just went up 105-0 and did a crotch chop to celebrate it.

"I laugh every time I hear the "running up the score" argument in high school sports, especially football.  It's a lame position to take.  Own your butt whipping, and get better."

It is not about owning your butt whipping.

It is about a coach doing what is best for his team. Makes NO sense to keep your star player.....the player your entire team depends on......in a game late when the outcome has long been decided. If that kid blows out a knee, you have just let your entire team down.

It is also pretty smart to get your younger players some experience. You never know when those players are going to have to play. Could be the following week.

Now I am NOT talking about a coach playing his second and third teams, and allowing those kids to run plays. IMHO, that is what a coach should be doing. You shouldn't put those kids in and ask them to take a knee. Put them in and let them run some plays. That can only help your team in the future.

I can agree with that.  But I can also tell you that "whining and crying" about it is always a lame position to take, no matter the circumstances.  That's why I say, "Take your butt whipping, etc".  You never look good complaining about someone running up the score.  It's loser speak.  

"I can agree with that.  But I can also tell you that "whining and crying" about it is always a lame position to take, no matter the circumstances.  That's why I say, "Take your butt whipping, etc".  You never look good complaining about someone running up the score.  It's loser speak."

Well.................I can agree with that.

No one is whining or crying. On the contrary, it pissed people off more than anything, and going back to the original point, I was saying it was a bad idea given the history of these communities. Jeez! How about we put a few more words in my mouth here, eh?

And on the topic of GW running up the score? We've always either substituted down to our JV squad or taken knees. That should be common knowledge about us by now.

No one is whining or crying. On the contrary, it pissed people off more than anything, and going back to the original point, I was saying it was a bad idea given the history of these communities. Jeez! How about we put a few more words in my mouth here, eh?

And on the topic of GW running up the score? We've always either substituted down to our JV squad or taken knees. That should be common knowledge about us by now.Ok

Really?  They took a timeout once being up by more than 50 points to kick a 45 yard field goal with :35 seconds to go in the game....oh yeah the kick was good.  What is that?  That isn't working on special teams, that is trying to humiliate the other team.  I will not cry or complain about it, it was the other team's job to stop it, they didn't.  Do not come on here and give me that jv stuff and how they are such good sports.  

Coach? Huh?

And say what you will... I've openly admitted in this thread there's things we do I'm not crazy about that come off badly. The situation at the end of the game has happened to us against Galax isn't the first time it's happened to us, and it's even happened this season. No one said a thing about it, because no one here is crying about it.

Given the history of the two communities, though, it wasn't a good idea. There's reasons why we haven't played each other for 20 years, and even sixcat will tell you that tension was unusually high for this game. Pretty evident he seen that without even knowing what all has went on.

What is the point of kicking with the game that far out of reach?  Just a simple question.  I have also seen the 2nd team of GW run a "trick play" with the game out of reach.  It was the "hidden receiver" play off the sidelines.  I don't see the need for it with the game out of reach?  Don't be offended by what was said, it is the truth. So when they snap the ball to Peoples and he punches another one in old GW, don't take it so personal. 

Coach? Huh?

And say what you will... I've openly admitted in this thread there's things we do I'm not crazy about that come off badly. The situation at the end of the game has happened to us against Galax isn't the first time it's happened to us, and it's even happened this season. No one said a thing about it, because no one here is crying about it.

Given the history of the two communities, though, it wasn't a good idea. There's reasons why we haven't played each other for 20 years, and even sixcat will tell you that tension was unusually high for this game. Pretty evident he seen that without even knowing what all has went on.

I agree wholeheartedly!  I didn't know there was this animosity between Wytheville and Galax residents of a certain age.  I know it to be a fact now after what I witnessed at Friday nights game coming from our stands and I don't understand it.  Now comes the point that this thread has gotten off topic.  I understand differences of opinion on running up the score.  We must decide for ourselves what side of the fence we fall on that issue.  Given the state of things between these two communities which fall reasonably close to one another, the end of this game will not help in healing whatever wounds remain after this many years.

I agree wholeheartedly!  I didn't know there was this animosity between Wytheville and Galax residents of a certain age.  I know it to be a fact now after what I witnessed at Friday nights game coming from our stands and I don't understand it.  Now comes the point that this thread has gotten off topic.  I understand differences of opinion on running up the score.  We must decide for ourselves what side of the fence we fall on that issue.  Given the state of things between these two communities which fall reasonably close to one another, the end of this game will not help in healing whatever wounds remain after this many years.

This is my point exactly.  It's not the fact that what happened at the end of the game was complaining about running up the score.  It's the fact that people CAN and WILL take it personally given the circumstances. 

sixcat, I don't understand the why's and how's either.  I assume it goes back when Scott Memorial school here in Wytheville was the only all-black school in the area during segregation.  Kids were bused in daily from all over the region to go to school, including Galax.  Exactly what started it all, I'll never know, but I do know that carried over a couple generations long after segregation ended and Scott Memorial became a Wytheville middle school.  The tipping point in the schools pretty much staying away from each other happened one night in the mid '90's when some Galax and Wytheville guys ended up getting into it that escalated so far as to have every police officer within an hour radius of Wytheville being called into town and swat teams showing up from all over in full on riot gear.  I wasn't anywhere close to the middle of that mess, and I can still tell you that it was one of the wildest things I have ever seen.  A couple months later, the Roanoke Times even did a very long report on that night, the feud, etc.

What is the point of kicking with the game that far out of reach?  Just a simple question.  I have also seen the 2nd team of GW run a "trick play" with the game out of reach.  It was the "hidden receiver" play off the sidelines.  I don't see the need for it with the game out of reach?  Don't be offended by what was said, it is the truth. So when they snap the ball to Peoples and he punches another one in old GW, don't take it so personal. 

The fg?   In all likelihood, who ever was the coach at GW at the time was most likely trying to get and in-game look at the kicking team, but you've already rejected that answer, so I honestly don't know what to tell you.

As far as the hidden receiver play, I don't recall any coach at GW using that play right off the top of my head.  I do remember one instance where our JV QB threw it to an uncovered receiver when we had a big lead, but the receiver wasn't hidden by design.  It might not be the instance you're talking about, but that's the closest thing I can remember.  I'm not even sure who it was against. 

Hey, I'll be honest...I didn't like some of the attitudes GW played with during the Pruitt years.  I thought there were times he left the starting unit in too long, and I didn't like some of the things that were going on with the way our kids were playing the game.  I thought we were overly cocky at times.  I could see why a lot of fans from other schools didn't think highly of us.  I don't see a lot of those same things now, though. 

My favorite example of this happened in the 2001 Graham-Richlands game. Graham was up 14-0 late in the 4th, around 90 seconds to go, 2nd down and 7 or so. Bradshaw takes the simplest dive you'll ever see and breaks through the porous defense for a TD. The final ended up being 21-0.

I know there are some Richlands fans still butthurt over Graham scoring that TD. The amount of whining over that call was hilarious. You'd think Graham would've just went up 105-0 and did a crotch chop to celebrate it.

I see both sides of the argument, really. It's a jerk move to run up the score. It doesn't make your team look any better. What if your star player gets injured while you pad stats and run up the score and you need him the following game?

When I student taught for band in 2010 in Kentucky, the school at which I student taught had an 0-10 football team. Their last home game, late in the first half, that other team while up by about 40 points calls a timeout with a few seconds left at the half about to score. They run a touchdown the next play and go for two. That was a slap in the face.

On the other hand, your team should be stopping the other team. If Richlands were able to stop Bradshaw on that touchdown run, there would have been no complaining. Plus, even with 90 seconds left on the clock, the win isn't necessarily secure if you are ahead 14-0. You still want to put the game away in that situation. That's not rubbing it in. At this year's Union/Richlands game, there was about 4 minutes left. Union was down 21-14. They had to go for it on fourth down. That didn't go anywhere. I got up and left thinking Richlands would just run out the clock while trying to get down the field. I forget the situation but Richlands had a big loss. And Union had some timeouts left. Union tied the game. Richlands throws a pick six with a few seconds left while they try to force overtime. The point is, NEVER assume you've won that late in the game if you're up by one or even two touchdowns.

In 2002, the D1 state championship between Appalachia and William Campbell. A lot went way wrong that night. WC left their starters in and won 70-0. Also, there was the infamous WC calling a timeout to take a bow, apparently. Jerk move but Appalachia should have manned up to stop William Campbell from reaching 70.

Point is, it's wrong to run up the score. At the same time, your team should try and stop it. There would be no complaints except about the stupid coaching decisions. Also, you don't look good complaining and moaning about when your team would probably do the same thing in that situation. Appalachia had done the same thing to other teams before that game. In 1994 against Middlesex during the D1 championship (72-7) and in 1991 in the D1 playoffs vs. Pound (78-0).

gwloyal,  I was stationed in South Carolina at the time of the "feud" but I do remember getting updates from family members.  I had forgotten about that.  It was a pretty nasty, dangerous scene as I recall.  Dozens of arrests were made and it was the first time I could recall the term "local gangs" being used in the local newspaper.  

Whatever the issue is between our two communities, its senseless at this point and should be buried once and for all.

It was ugly.  I literally lost count of the police cars that buzzed by.  The whole "gang" term was totally incorrect, though.  Never has been anything like that, because I know fathers and grandfathers of the guys involved that night that carry the same hate. 

I completely agree that it should be buried. I'm hoping the younger guys can change the culture of that.