"Fan" behavior

sixcat

A select few "fans" from the Galax stands were taunting a member of the George Wythe football team for a brief period last night.  The visitors stands are very close to the field and the kids were responding on the field to what they were hearing from the stands, so I know it was heard.  I let my voice be heard to the select few and the verbal abuse stopped, for the most part.  The kids on the field are just that, kids.  They are susceptible to emotional outbursts as they mature and learn from the adults in their lives on how to behave as responsible members of society and learn to deal with disappointment.  I earnestly hope this behavior was an isolated incident from the Galax side.  It is NOT representative of the majority of the Galax faithful!

Is this normal, acceptable behavior?  It may be normal but, to me, it will never be acceptable!  This kid was verbally assaulted!

As long as it isn't profane, I don't have a problem with it. I graduated over twenty years ago and though I didn't play football, I did play basketball, and trust me, some fans are vicious and even resorted to racist epithets against some of our players.

depends on if it was personal or general.  "Go back home to your mama" is fine, but "hey, #x, you're mama ........" isn't.

It went well beyond "go home to your mama"!  It was personal, explicitly profane, and at times, racially charged.  I hear the "na na na na, goodbye", "go home to your mama", "does your sister play", etc. a lot.  I have never participated and teach my children to be respectful but this went way over the line of human decency.  

There is a lot of hate between a lot of people in Galax and Wytheville (it's not the majority of either community, but it's there).  It usually doesn't get talked about much at all publicly, but there is truth to it.  I don't think a lot of the kids feel the same way, but a lot of that has to do with the athletic programs pretty much staying away from scheduling each other for the last 20 years. 

Unfortunately, I don't think it took long for a lot of the kids of both communities to see some of that old school, bad blood between the two.  I expected some jawing...From both sides, and it did bleed onto the field somewhat.

Mark Dixon did have an opportunity to show some class at the end of the game, being up 45-20, less than a minute to go, with 1st down inside the GW 5 yard line.  Peoples takes the handoff and plunges in for the final score.  Those kids that play for Galax earned a lot of my respect last night.  They played with fire and were the better team.  However, Mark Dixon had an opportunity...And he blew it...That's something that we're not going to forget about around here any time soon, especially given the history between Wytheville and Galax.

sixcat, I don't like the behavior, either.  I just hope last night didn't stoke the embers of a fire that looked like it was finally dying.

I know that at the Marion/Appomattox game last night there was someone shouting "Get your boy off the field!" while they were waiting to bring in the cart to get Sam Wagner off the field when he was injured. The coaches and medical staff finally had enough and helped him over to the sideline and put him on the cart there. However, every Appomattox fan that I encountered face-to-face was very polite, perhaps more than any group of fans I've ever had contact with. Unfortunately there's somebody like that in every crowd. It's a shame, but you've got to take it for what it's worth and realize that the actions of some don't reflect the actions of all.

Mark Dixon did have an opportunity to show some class at the end of the game, being up 45-20, less than a minute to go, with 1st down inside the GW 5 yard line.  Peoples takes the handoff and plunges in for the final score.  Those kids that play for Galax earned a lot of my respect last night.  They played with fire and were the better team.  However, Mark Dixon had an opportunity...And he blew it...That's something that we're not going to forget about around here any time soon, especially given the history between Wytheville and Galax

I can't stand stuff like this, So Galax played the whole 60 minutes. Peoples is looking for a scholly. You can't stop the kid (who should be worn out by now) ? "Well, it wasn't OUR fault... he shouldn't have been ib there.   GEEZ!

if you don't like to lose, don't play.

I can't stand stuff like this, So Galax played the whole 60 minutes. Peoples is looking for a scholly. You can't stop the kid (who should be worn out by now) ? "Well, it wasn't OUR fault... he shouldn't have been ib there.   GEEZ!

Game was already over, and I sincerely doubt that 3 or 4 yard touchdown run will make or break his scholly.  No one is crying over it, but it told me all I needed to know about Mark Dixon. 

There is a lot of hate between a lot of people in Galax and Wytheville (it's not the majority of either community, but it's there).  It usually doesn't get talked about much at all publicly, but there is truth to it.  I don't think a lot of the kids feel the same way, but a lot of that has to do with the athletic programs pretty much staying away from scheduling each other for the last 20 years. 

Unfortunately, I don't think it took long for a lot of the kids of both communities to see some of that old school, bad blood between the two.  I expected some jawing...From both sides, and it did bleed onto the field somewhat.

Mark Dixon did have an opportunity to show some class at the end of the game, being up 45-20, less than a minute to go, with 1st down inside the GW 5 yard line.  Peoples takes the handoff and plunges in for the final score.  Those kids that play for Galax earned a lot of my respect last night.  They played with fire and were the better team.  However, Mark Dixon had an opportunity...And he blew it...That's something that we're not going to forget about around here any time soon, especially given the history between Wytheville and Galax.

sixcat, I don't like the behavior, either.  I just hope last night didn't stoke the embers of a fire that looked like it was finally dying.

I knew this stuff existed between Galax and Wytheville but I just don't understand why.  However, this was a 45 year old man, his 44 year old wife and some random 40ish guy I didn't know.  It should never be tolerated or allowed for this behavior to exist between a grown man and a high school kid, irregardless of what is happening on the field.

As for the end of game situation, I kept expecting Dixon to kneel the ball and was surprised he allowed them to score again.  With that said, its possible he wasn't paying attention.  He was blasting the QB on the track behind the sideline for the constant fumbling of the QB center exchange.  That was the full reason Peoples stayed in the wildcat formation for much 4th quarter.  That is no excuse, just offering a possible explanation why it was allowed to happen.

I knew this stuff existed between Galax and Wytheville but I just don't understand why.  However, this was a 45 year old man, his 44 year old wife and some random 40ish guy I didn't know.  It should never be tolerated or allowed for this behavior to exist between a grown man and a high school kid, irregardless of what is happening on the field.

As for the end of game situation, I kept expecting Dixon to kneel the ball and was surprised he allowed them to score again.  With that said, its possible he wasn't paying attention.  He was blasting the QB on the track behind the sideline for the constant fumbling of the QB center exchange.  That was the full reason Peoples stayed in the wildcat formation for much 4th quarter.  That is no excuse, just offering a possible explanation why it was allowed to happen.

Yeah, the bad blood isn't between the kids.  That age range is about right, sadly enough.  Like I said, it's not the majority of either communities, either.  I'm sure some GW fans were doing the same, because I know that history was mentioned during the week.  I just hope the kids change the culture of that, my man.

No explaination needed for the end of the game.  We really had no issue with the starting units being out there, nor the wildcat, nor the kids executing.  Like I said, I felt like Dixon had a chance to show who he was, and he did.  I would feel the same way if we were the ones that did it, also.  Besides, there's things that go on at our home games I simply do not like because it makes us come off as classless (our PA guy being one of them).

It's sad this kind of thing keeps what could be a fun, traditional rivalry from happening.  George Wythe has the tradition Galax is trying to build.  It could be a Radford/GW type of traditional rivalry if it were not for a select few.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Dixon played in the professional ranks for Jimmie Johnson and buys into the theory that "it's your responsibility to stop us" mindset.

so guys, whats the history on this bad blood?  

I have no idea.  It has to date back to the days when George Wythe and Galax were members of the old New River District.  Until last night, the two schools hadn't played football against each other since the 1993 regular season.  They occasionally play each other in basketball but those games haven't been competitive with each school winning big a handful of times. My wife graduated from Galax in 1995 but doesn't remember there being any type of animosity toward GW.   I grew up in Fries and left this area right after high school graduation in 1992 not to return, for the most part, until 2008.  I didn't grow up in the sporting "culture" of Galax so I don't get it.

Totally agree....Old Spurrier rule applies also, My job to score your job to stop me....Don't get mad if I do my job better.

"Totally agree....Old Spurrier rule applies also, My job to score your job to stop me....Don't get mad if I do my job better."

Totally disagree. 

Doesn't make much sense to risk the health of your top player when the outcome of the game has clearly been decided. 

If you will watch teams that have a long, winning tradition, they almost always pull some, if not all, of their starters when the outcome of the game has been decided. They do this to not only reduce the risk of injury for their starters, but also to give the younger players some experience. Reducing the risk of injury helps your team this year. Playing some younger kids helps your team next year. 

Now maybe the coach was not paying attention to what was going on.

Also totally disagree that Peoples having one more TD will have any bearing on his ability to get a scholarship. To think otherwise is simply naive. College scouts know how to evaluate a kid. The number of TDs a kid scores doesn't have much to do with it. 

I think a lot of coaches today have forgotten about sportsmanship> I think they want to get all they can, pad stats make mommas happy but it would be tough to explain a top player going down at the end of the game. NO offense GW but it seems to me that the entire HOGO is guilty of putting it on teams when they have a chance. Not seen GW play much but over the past several years they have scored alot of points.

I dislike to see teams run up the score. It is uncalled for IMHO. But...I dislike it even more when people on the losing team whine about it. Brings too much attention to a meaningless part of the game.

My philosophy on a team running it up on my team? Don't comment about it, store it away, and use it as motivation the next time.

The same people who complain about running up the score usually fail to realize that more often than not, they'd do the same thing if they were in that position. 

Running up the score isn't called for. At the same time, your team should stop the other team. 

Like in '04 Powell Valley vs. Giles in state semis. For those who remember, that game will always have the memory of "the play." Powell Valley was up 35 to 6 with a minute left in the game. They went for it on 4th down and it ended up being a 90 or so yard touchdown play. 

Should Powell Valley have just punted the ball away and let it go since the game was decided? Yes. I don't blame the Giles people who took that as a slap in the face. Then again, Giles' defense should have stopped it. 

More times than not, if the defense stops the play, you will hear nothing about "running up the score."

"I laugh every time I hear the "running up the score" argument in high school sports, especially football.  It's a lame position to take.  Own your butt whipping, and get better."

It is not about owning your butt whipping.

It is about a coach doing what is best for his team. Makes NO sense to keep your star player.....the player your entire team depends on......in a game late when the outcome has long been decided. If that kid blows out a knee, you have just let your entire team down.

It is also pretty smart to get your younger players some experience. You never know when those players are going to have to play. Could be the following week.

Now I am NOT talking about a coach playing his second and third teams, and allowing those kids to run plays. IMHO, that is what a coach should be doing. You shouldn't put those kids in and ask them to take a knee. Put them in and let them run some plays. That can only help your team in the future.