well the east finally gets their wish......

cwood78

you're probably right cwood78. it just makes me sick that the vhsl would back teams from the east, knowing that teams from the west (like haysi, fort chiswell, giles, and so on) are far better than the teams from the east.   

Yes, I'm sure the VHSL wants the region that brings the most fans and makes them the most money to get shut out of the championship.

The reality....they love it when schools like Gate City and Giles make it because they know they'll sell tickets. The Galax/Clintwood game a couple of years ago was probably their biggest crowd ever for a Group A final.

Yes, I'm sure the VHSL wants the region that brings the most fans and makes them the most money to get shut out of the championship.

The reality....they love it when schools like Gate City and Giles make it because they know they'll sell tickets. The Galax/Clintwood game a couple of years ago was probably their biggest crowd ever for a Group A final.

True! It is all about the $$$$$$$$$!

I was living in Harrisonburg back in 1998 and went to the "A" championship game between Powell Valley/Madison County. It was PACKED!  I don't think they could have stuffed another body in the stadium.  I am sure the VHSL doesn't care where you are from as long as you fill the venue.

I don't know about Altavista, but Essex doesn't have that many fans at their own home games (even in the state tournament), so this championship game crowd might not be nearly as big as it would be if it were Haysi vs Fort Chiswell.

Haysi/Fort would have packed the stadium, 7,000+ . Altavista had under 1,000 fans at Saturdays game imo. Very average turnout. I know its not a short drive but it isint that long.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, just an observation; a lot of Altavistas players were black, of the fans I saw at the game almost all were white. Sad that these young men were playing and didn't have family at the game.

Altavista will have a large turnout in Salem this Saturday. During their last appearance in Salem it seemed as if everyone from the town was there. The great thing is that the Salem Stadium is the perfect setting for the smaller schools with the venue holding slightly over 7000 fans. Although the East schools do not usually have the rabid following as a West representative would, the East is usually represented well during the finals. The Roanoke Valley is an easy drive from Altavista unlike the long haul to far Southwest Virginia. Personally, I would have loved to have seen an all West final; however, the reality is an all East final. Hopefully, next year we will witness an all West final in both D1 and D2!

Good luck to all schools especially Giles and Northside!

Hopefully, next year we will witness an all West final in both D1 and D2!

Seems like every year the D2 teams get a little better overall, hopefully 2 can make it next year and hopefully 1A West can get 2 teams back.

It's always tough for a West team traveling to the East in the playoffs... the officiating can be highly questionable...  If Fort would've taken care of Graham at home, I think the outcome of that Essex matchup could've been very different....but that's why you have to play every game like it's the championship.

I think all of SWVA is pulling for Giles today.... If they get that wing working....I think they can do it....I loved watching them play a couple of times this year....both times I saw them this season....they had the wing humming...