#32 - Cody Thomas-One of the Blues Best

tbgfan

Sending prayers and thoughts to Cody's family and former teammates.  Cody passed away from an auto accident night before last.  I had the honor to see him play many games as a Big Blue.  He was a fine young man who represented his school with distinction having earned 1st team All-State as a senior.  He was a 2011 graduate of Richlands High School.

Psalm 61:2--"....when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I."

Offering up prayers for his grieving family. In addition to Cody's family, the Richlands' community is feeling the loss of a truly good person.

Following are some articles written about Cody while wearing the Blue Tornado uniform.

excerpt:

December 2, 2010

Blues’ Thomas a special player

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

RICHLANDS, Va. — There are certain athletes that simply exude what a football team is all about.

At Richlands, that would be Cody Thomas.

Just ask Greg Mance. The Richlands’ head football coach isn’t shy about his praise of the talented senior, who plays all over the field for the Blue Tornado, including linebacker, tailback, fullback, tight end, wide receiver and even returns kicks on special teams.

Got any other position that needs covered? The 6-foot-3, 180-pound Thomas is your man.

"Wherever they want me to play," Thomas said. "That is where I will go."

Mance takes him up on the offer.

"Cody Thomas is the heart and soul of this football team, he is something special," Mance said. "We have had four (college) coaches come watch us practice and everybody has just marveled at number daggone 32 and how quick, how aggressive and just how instinctive he was.

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/x1199043241/Blues-Thomas-a-special-player

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas thrives in hitman role for Richlands

Bristol Herald Courier/Allen Gregory | Updated Dec 24, 2012

excerpt:

Youth football is a time of exploration and maturation. Athletes discover how it feels to be hit and what it means to sacrifice for a goal.

For Cody Thomas, it was love at first contact with the Richlands Cowboys.

"I played linebacker in pee-wee ball, and I’ve played the same spot all the way through high school," Thomas said. "Linebacker is the best position for me because I’ve always loved to hit."

Hit man

As a gangly but determined freshman, Thomas made an early impression on the passionate fan base of the Richlands Blue Tornado.

He started on special teams for the 2007 Richlands team and was one of the most valuable performers for longtime Richlands assistant Jeff Tarter.

"I’ll never forget running down the field for the opening kickoff in the [Division 3] state finals against Monticello in Lynchburg," Thomas said. "Our fans were going crazy, and it was just a great atmosphere. I’d like to experience that again."

Thomas has developed into a 6-foot-3, 175-pound hitting machine at middle linebacker for the Blues.

"I’ve always been taught to just play with my pads and just do my job," Thomas said. "I’m always trying to get better."

The job requirements for Thomas entail a mix of physical and mental challenges. He’s responsible for reading the opposing defense, calling the defensive signals and making sure his teammates are aligned in the right position.

"The mental game is very important," Thomas said. "After three years, things come pretty natural to me. I try to be like a coach on the field."

According to Richlands head coach Greg Mance, Thomas has all the requirements for success at linebacker.

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_e9bfb781-61ba-59bb-ae8a-5f062ee18e22.html?mode=jqm

Football Friday State Championship Saturday Game Recaps

Posted: Dec 11, 2010 9:17 PM EST

Poquoson 23, Richlands 17

LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) — Tee McConnell threw for 152 yards and two touchdowns Saturday and Poquoson beat Richlands 23-17 to win its first Division 3 state football championship. The Islanders (13-1) trailed 3-2 at halftime before McConnell connected with Austin Smith for a 79-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter to tie the game at 10-all. He then hit Cody Hutchison for a 23-yarder in the fourth quarter, putting Poquoson ahead to stay. After Hutchison's 56-yard run set Poquoson up for a 5-yard touchdown run by Dylan Hill that made it 23-10 with 6:46 to play, Richlands (13-1) got a long kickoff return to the Islanders' 9 by Cody Thomas and a 6-yard scoring run by Reece Strong with 5:47 to go. Strong kicked the extra point and then recovered his own onsides kick, and Richlands drove to the Islanders' 24 before two holding penalties forced it to punt. The Islanders never relinquished possession again. Hutchison finished with 119 yards on 14 carries. Cody Lockhart threw a 53-yard pass to Austin Johnson for Richlands' first touchdown.

http://www.wset.com/story/13658183/football-friday-state-championship-saturday-game-recaps

Cody played in our 1st FCA Va versus Tenn All Star game at Science Hill. He and Will Lowe , Brad Strong , and other Richland's guys. He was a great player. My heart is saddened by this loss! Prayers going up for all of his family and friends!

I went to school with his dad and have been friends with him since.  I just hate this sooo very much !  Such a good kid,  he will be missed very very much ! 

Love, thoughts and prayers to all of his family, teammates and friends !

• 1 year later...
One of the best and toughest to ever wear a Richlands football uniform...

Today we take time to reflect on and celebrate the life of Cody Thomas, one year later.

As a football player and a man, you couldn't have asked for anyone with more heart and passion.

Today we mourn your loss and celebrate all that you gave.

Rest easy Cody. Until we meet again.

‪#‎CT32‬

11831733_460685557472085_207448534561441