a special kind of penance.. being a Hokie fan

LegendatLegion

Wow! it takes talent to lose like VT did today. QB Brewer who played very well (or did he) at Ohio State, gave this one away. 2 td's are on his back with 2 horrible int's. At Ohio State he threw off balance several times and got away with it! I don't know what it is but 6 or 7 penalties on substitution infractions... I thought Frank was gonna stroke out.

Oh well... I thought maybe the Hokies had turned the corner and would improve this year after the big road win. I should have known better. After snatching another defeat from the jaws of victory.... I just sit here stunned? nope, incredulous? nope, disappointed!!

It was very hard to be there today. They just could not put it away. I keep telling myself that they are young and they will have growing pains. Next year and the year after VT should be very good. 

As a fan im getting tired of saying "next year".

Its been a bad weekend of football for me; Haysi lost, VT lost. If Dallas an my 2 fantasy teams lose I may go into seclusion until November!

Did I miss something, or on the pick six was there even a receiver in the area.  I saw three linemen, but no receiver.  He was baited on the last pick.  He thought it was cover 2 and the safety was cheating over. 

I also think Ford was bothered by press coverage at times.  A year in the weight room will solve that problem.

C'mon now boys!  These are good times in the history of VT football.

Look no further back than the 1970's if you want "hard times"...that is when my VT fandom began.  Being that my uncle and his best friend always went to the best friend's brother's place in Blacksburg every weekend, I was well aware of VT football as early as '72 or '73, in the days of Don Strock.  Went to my first game in 1978, a "Hail Mary" TD pass as time expired for VT to beat William & Mary.  I remember the "hard times"...

--17-16 loss to William & Mary in 1972

--Losses to both William & Mary and VMI and a 77-6 trouncing at the hands of Alabama in 1973...highlight of the 2-9 season: VT 27 UVA 15

--Another loss to VMI in 1974

--Losses to William & Mary and Richmond in 1976

--Wins over VMI, William & Mary and Wake and a 14-14 tie with UVA to finish off a 3-7-1 season

--Only 3 winning seasons the entire decade: 8-3, 6-4-1, 6-5

We're livin' the dream for the last 21 seasons...

I definitely remember the hard times, I went to see Phil Rogers play in the early to mid seventies and they had a fun team to watch, and I'm not a Beamer basher, I think he deserves to stay as long as he wants... I just get tired of the silly mistakes by QB's costing football games, and I really liked what I saw from Brewer at Ohio St. I think he has digressed since. Last year losing to Duke when our D held the Duke QB to a 15.6 QBR and Logan had an 8.8 and gave it back to them every time the D had a turnover.

Oh well I shouldn't have had a drink of the Kool-aid after the Ohio St victory....

Is it time VT goes out of state to recruit a QB?  I LOVE the fact that the vast majority of VTs team(and starters) are VA boys but Brewer is solid and I wonder if year in year out VA just doesent produce enough talent at QB. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that so many top QB's, college and pro, come from similar areas.  In some cases, even the same high school.  It takes a certain mental make-up and skill set to play the position but it also takes a tremendous amount of development.  Very few high schools in this state have the ability to develop top level QB's.  See Philip Sims for reference.  He was projected nationally as a top flight college QB.  Turned out not to be very good and is struggling for playing time at Winston Salem State. 

In my opinion, Virginia Tech doesn't develop the QB's they have.  Take a look at Blake Sims at Alabama.  Lane Kiffin, smug as hell but he knows how to develop QB's.  Blake Sims looked lost in the spring game.  He looked a little better the first game of the season but still looked raw and undisciplined.  He looks like a completely different player after 4 games. 

Brewer has regressed since the Ohio St. game because he isn't being coached by Kliff Kingsbury.  In my opinion, its about development or lack thereof. 

RE: Brewer

He took a beating in the OSU game.  He gutted it out in the ECU game (still physically feeling the effects from the OSU game) and got hit a ton in that game.  Most of his bad throws against ECU and GT were due to him trying to throw off his back foot while back peddling/trying to avoid getting hit.  If his OL can give him time, he can be really good...if not, he ends up tossing two or three INTS...

RE: Brewer

He took a beating in the OSU game. He gutted it out in the ECU game (still physically feeling the effects from the OSU game) and got hit a ton in that game. Most of his bad throws against ECU and GT were due to him trying to throw off his back foot while back peddling/trying to avoid getting hit. If his OL can give him time, he can be really good...if not, he ends up tossing two or three INTS...

Someone give this guy a website!!!

.....oh wait......

Someone give this guy a website!!!

.....oh wait......

Well, I'm gonna put my rep on the line and call the upset for Saturday...

Western Michigan beats VT in Blacksburg on Saturday...

You could be correct!  QB's with an ability to run give Fosters defenses nightmares.  There QB averages 15 yards per carry!  Additionally, they have a WR that runs some wildcat type stuff and averages 35 yards per carry.  They have a potent offense.  The key will be how VT rebounds offensively.  I expect a high scoring game that is much closer than it probably should be.

My daughters and I will be at the game supporting my wife.  She is an alumni and former Marching Virginian and will be on the field for the 40th anniversary celebration.

Is it time VT goes out of state to recruit a QB?  I LOVE the fact that the vast majority of VTs team(and starters) are VA boys but Brewer is solid and I wonder if year in year out VA just doesent produce enough talent at QB. 

Speaking of QB's, Tech's been recruiting QB's out of state. They got 2 from OOS last year, in Durkin and Ford. Also have Logan Byrd committed to them from Georgia, in the 2016 class. But QB recruiting doesn't matter if you don't have the OL for it, and we've gotten really bad at OL recruiting over the past few years, which has came back and bit us in the ass.