NEW RIDGE VIEW HIGH

cwood78

I used to think that, but I can't reconcile:

(1) Where do you build "Tazewell West"; and

(2) What do you do with the Bishop/Gratton kids for "Tazewell East";

Build one at Cuzs and one right there where they were going to put the dental school for BC.

Build one at Cuzs and one right there where they were going to put the dental school for BC.

I had figured "Tazewell East" would go into the Bluestone complex, because the County IDA owns that land and has enough space. It's an easy transfer. But it creates problems for the kids in Bishop and Gratton, who would be spending 45 minutes on a bus just to get to school.

As for "Tazewell West", the County doesn't own that land. To acquire it by government taking, you have to pay the owners fair market value. Pretty much, the County would have to buy Cuz's to build a new school. And Cuz's will fight that to the bitter end. The cost would be exorbitant.

And again, how do you divide the County into two, especially regarding Tazewell. Where do you draw the line? Do the Tannersville kids go to "Tazewell West"? How will that affect districting of the Elementary/Middle Schools?

It's not simple.

Union and Central's new schools are really nice, but that facility is stunning! Look forward to seeing it in person.

I still can't figure out why the folks that built Union and Central thought each school just needed half a gym...for the money spent it's piss poor.

And again, how do you divide the County into two, especially regarding Tazewell. Where do you draw the line? Do the Tannersville kids go to "Tazewell West"? How will that affect districting of the Elementary/Middle Schools?

It's not simple.

The elementary school in Tannersville is already closed. About half of the Tannersville kids goe to Rich Valley Elem, Northwood Middle (rich valley) and Northwood High already.  The bus I rode was on the loop through Tannersville, Little Valley, Flat Top, and back into Smyth Co through the lower end of Broadford and North Holston.

This blows Central and Union off the map! Nice!!!

I know some folks of the Dickenson IDA very well.  If the Dickenson IDA sets its mind to something, it gets done and it gets done above and beyond expectations.

It's kinda like Tazewell County, only the exact opposite.

Cuzs would be fine, its the property beside the Thompson farm. I had heard the county already owned it. Don't quote me on that. You would enter the school on the west end of the bridge because of the railroad but the school would be on the east end towards tazewell.

I still can't figure out why the folks that built Union and Central though each school just needed half a gym...for the money spent it's piss poor.

I can tell you exactly. They had 3 firms to present their blueprints and plans for the 3 schools(new Union, new Central, and remodeled Eastside). Shockey, I believe out of Roanoke, had the best plans, VERY nice school layout. However, they nor the 3rd firm would guarantee a price. Only Ballard, who won the bid, would guarantee a price. So, when the school system started naming all the things that they wanted in the new school something had to go to maintain the "locked" in price. The blueprints went through several revisions before they settled on what you see. The gyms were originally supposed to have seated 2000-2500, but it kept shrinking in size to accommodate the other "needs". The "needs" included new computers, touch screen TVS in each classroom, chairs, desks, filing cabinets, etc. NOTHING from the old schools was supposed to be brought into the new schools.

I think Rt. 16 would play an important role in the East/West division of Tazewell Co...jmo...

It probably would have to, and it solves another issue, because the Tazewell corporate limits run very near it anyway.  

But a high school with that sort of division would be not insignificantly skewed in favor of "Tazewell East" by about 250-300 kids.

I can tell you exactly. They had 3 firms to present their blueprints and plans for the 3 schools(new Union, new Central, and remodeled Eastside). Shockey, I believe out of Roanoke, had the best plans, VERY nice school layout. However, they nor the 3rd firm would guarantee a price. Only Ballard, who won the bid, would guarantee a price. So, when the school system started naming all the things that they wanted in the new school something had to go to maintain the "locked" in price. The blueprints went through several revisions before they settled on what you see. The gyms were originally supposed to have seated 2000-2500, but it kept shrinking in size to accommodate the other "needs". The "needs" included new computers, touch screen TVS in each classroom, chairs, desks, filing cabinets, etc. NOTHING from the old schools was supposed to be brought into the new schools.

Well, all I'm saying is for the longest time the school system said they were going to do the consolidation right...then they cut corner after corner. And the gyms are pitiful for the money spent. Guess they never stopped to reason that with what they ended up with that they will never host tournaments etc. and be able to profit off of it. Promised monetary savings and enhanced curriculum, and now can't even provide Drivers Ed instructors without a couple hundred dollars fee. Leave it to Wise County....if it can possibly be screwed up, they'll find a way to do it...and expect everyone to sing Cumbaya while they do.

Gyms are not big enough to host tournaments by state standards...seats on one side, 5 rows of bleachers tops on the other. County is still paying a good chunk of change to rent UVA Wise's facilities for Central football and the convocation center for district or conference tournaments...when they could have built schools adequate enough to serve those purposes just as well and saved money in the long run. During the entire consolidation process, all they stressed was saving money...and in the end they did a half ass job all the way around. In retrospect, it seems they just wanted to say they did it instead of doing it up right.

The situation in Wise Co is rediculious. I went to the auction the school held at Old Central/JJ Kelly, the rooms were full of desks that werent taken to the new school, absolutely nothing wrong with them. Science storage closets that were in near perfect condition were auctioned off. Just ignorant.

Speaking of Wise Co and ignorant. They pay UVAW to play Centrals football games there but they are still maintaining the old Central/JJK facilities for JV games, just ignorant.

For tournaments the Wise Co schools will just rent the UVAW Convocation Center. 

The situation in Wise Co is rediculious. I went to the auction the school held at Old Central/JJ Kelly, the rooms were full of desks that werent taken to the new school, absolutely nothing wrong with them. Science storage closets that were in near perfect condition were auctioned off. Just ignorant.

Speaking of Wise Co and ignorant. They pay UVAW to play Centrals football games there but they are still maintaining the old Central/JJK facilities for JV games, just ignorant.

Can't hide money.

Well, all I'm saying is for the longest time the school system said they were going to do the consolidation right...then they cut corner after corner. And the gyms are pitiful for the money spent. Guess they never stopped to reason that with what they ended up with that they will never host tournaments etc. and be able to profit off of it. Promised monetary savings and enhanced curriculum, and now can't even provide Drivers Ed instructors without a couple hundred dollars fee. Leave it to Wise County....if it can possibly be screwed up, they'll find a way to do it...and expect everyone to sing Cumbaya while they do.

Yep, I agree. Basically, the war between the school board and board of supervisors turned into a political, testosterone battle of wills. The kids were not the focus. When the board of supervisors finally agreed to the amount of money that the school administration said would get everything they needed, they quickly discovered that it wouldn't. That's when the corners started to get cut.

All of that stuff was auctioned due to the arrogance of the school administration. They promised that the money allotted for the new schools would include all new items from the ground up. They were determined to keep that promise regardless of common sense.

I don't know about the convocation center, but according to a former Central assistant coach and an article in the Coalfield, Central paid $500 to rent the football stadium for games. They said it cost more than that to paint the field and light it each week. Plus, the band boosters had to split the concession money with the college due to the college's contract with Chartwell's, their food manager.

You may or may not have heard about this. Central received a 2 million dollar donation to go along with the nearly 1 million that they have raised to build a football stadium at their new site. They are hoping to have it completed by next season. I guess that will eliminate the upkeep of the old field and future rental of UvaWise's.

My question, there are no major industries, per se, in Tazewell Co...the coal industry has been decimated...where would the dollars come from to build two new schools? If declining enrollment is the reason for consolidation...that would mean less tax dollars/revenue for such a major undertaking.

When the time comes...do you think the only realistic solution is to remodel with some possible additions to the west Tazewell Co. HS and to the east Tazewell Co. HS...with the third sadly being closed? 

Where would the funding be found for two new Tazewell Co. schools without corners being cut as Sup_rbeast noted in his response for the Wise Co. schools..

Union_Fan, I did hear about that. Great news for Central, Very generous donation. But over the past few years a lot of $ has been wasted.

trublue, thats why there will be 1 school in Tazewell Co, they wont have the $ for new buildings so they will just renovate/expand Tazewell High

I'm going to limit myself to just a single DCPS question...

since HHS will close in a few months, and they already have the property/infrastructure there, why did they put the new ES way put on Backbone instead of where HHS is?

Don't know if they could have kept any of the HHS bldg. or not, but it would've delayed the opening by no more than 1 year.