19. LURAY

20. PAGE COUNTY

21. BRUNSWICK

22. WILSON MEMORIAL

23. BLUESTONE

24. JAMES RIVER

25. MADISON COUNTY

VHSL GROUP 2A WEST REGION TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL PREDICTIONS

CONFERENCE 37 CHAMPION     DAN RIVER        VS.

CONFERENCE 38 RUNNERUP    GLENVAR

CONFERENCE 38 CHAMPION     MARTINSVILLE      VS.

CONFERENCE 37 RUNNERUP    RANDOLPH HENRY

CONFERENCE 39 CHAMPION     GRAHAM        VS.

CONFERENCE 40 RUNNERUP    UNION

CONFERENCE 40 CHAMPION     VIRGINIA HIGH   VS.

CONFERENCE 39 RUNNERUP    RICHLANDS

VHSL GROUP 2A WEST REGION TOURNAMENT SEMIFINALISTS PREDICTIONS

1. MARTINSVILLE

2. DAN RIVER

3. VIRGINIA HIGH

4. GRAHAM

VHSL GROUP 2A WEST REGION CHAMPION PREDICTION

MARTINSVILLE

MARTINSVILLE - STRONG INSIDE PRESENCE LED BY DEVONNTE HOLLAND WILL GIVE MARTINSVILLE ITS BEST SHOT AT A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP IN A DOWN YEAR FOR THE WEST REGION

DAN RIVER  - DEFENDING 2A STATE CHAMPIONS WILL GIVE STRONG ATTEMPT AT A REPEAT BUT WILL NOT BE AS STRONG AS LAST YEAR

VIRGINIA HIGH - MOST ATHLETIC TEAM COMING OUT OF FAR SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA WHO SHOULD WIN THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GOING AWAY IN AN OTHERWISE VERY DOWN YEAR IN THE USUALLY VERY COMPETITIVE AND STRONG CLINCH MOUNTAIN CONFERENCE..  SHOULD MAKE IT TO THE REGION SEMIFINALS BUT WILL MEET THEIR MATCH THERE. 

GRAHAM - COULD BE THE CINDERELLA TEAM COMING OUT OF SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA WITH SOME EXPLOSIVE AND UNDERRATED GUARD PLAY. TEAM IS FLYING WAY UNDER THE RADAR FOR MOST.  NO ONE KNOWS WHAT WILL BE COMING OUT OF BLUEFIELD, VIRGINIA. 

GLENVAR -  THE SURPRISE TEAM FROM CONFERENCE 38 WHO HAS AN UPSET OF THE HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE AND HIGHLY RANKED RADFORD BOBCATS ON THEIR RESUME.  COULD BE A POSSIBLE TEAM FLYING UNDER THE RADAR IN THIS YEARS TOURNAMENT.

UNION -  HAS SOME VERY NICE ATHLETES.  HAS SOME VERY BAD LOSSES....BUT GOOD ENOUGH TO GET OUT OF THEIR WEAK CONFERENCE.  TO QUOTE THE GREAT COACH BOBBY KNIGHT, "NEVER HAS SO LITTLE BEEN GOT OUT OF SO MUCH.".

RICHLANDS - THE AIR HAS GONE OUT OF THE FAB 5 FRESHMAN FROM LAST YEAR.  THE TEAM MOST PREDICTED TO BE THE FRONTRUNNER FOR THE TOP OF THE WEST REGION HAS NOW BEEN PUT ON THE BACKBURNER.   IF THERE IS A SOPHOMORE JINX, ITS HAPPENED HERE AT THIS SCHOOL.  TEAM IS UP AND DOWN.....BUT FIGURES TO BE MOSTLY DOWN COME TOURNAMENT TIME IN THIS REGION.

RANDOLPH HENRY - ONLY OTHER TEAM THAT HAS A CHANCE TO MAKE IT OUT OF CONFERENCE 37 WHICH COULD BE AS WEAR OR WEAKER THAN CONFERENCE 40 THIS YEAR.  DO NOT EXPECT THIS TEAM TO MAKE MUCH NOISE IF ANY AT ALL IN THE REGION TOURNAMENT.

First of all, Richlands has a tough road to hoe to come out of Conference 39, because they are the 4 seed right now and will need to beat Graham in the semis just to play for the right to go to state.  

Union is in the same boat in Conference 40-they will need to beat Virginia High in the semis and then likely either Gate City or Lebanon in the finals in order to make state.  

I also disagree with the author's comments on the weakness of Conference 40-there are several good teams in the league who have mostly beat up on one another.  While VHS is the class of the conference, both Union and Gate City have wins over the Bearcats, and Lebanon has twice led late in the fourth against them.  

Martinsville lost tonight in the Piedmont District tourney finals to 5A Halifax Co. 58-41. The Dogs open up Conference 38 play Wed. at James River High School against the winner of the Giles-Floyd Co. game. The other semi-final game will be Glenvar vs.James River. I still think right now that Dan River is the class of the region down this way, can't really speak about the teams from SWVA but thru some coaches I have heard nothing but good things about VHS and Graham.

How did Dan River do against Altavista? Just curious because I have seen Altavista and think VHS is a better team.  I know this is not the best way to analyze a possible match-up but right now, there is not much else.

How did Dan River do against Altavista? Just curious because I have seen Altavista and think VHS is a better team.  I know this is not the best way to analyze a possible match-up but right now, there is not much else.

January 6

Dan River 56

Altavista 40

January 30

Dan River 44

Altavista 38

G-Man, thanks for letting us down here in southside know the hard cold facts on what chance the teams out of conference 37 and 38 have in the regionals. I guess we can all save gas and eating money for something else since the outcome of the tournament has already been decided. Good luck to the G-Men, maybe they have a snowballs chance of pulling off an upset. Mavahi and Dan River aren't as strong as last year, so it may be a hard row to hoe trying to get back to the state semi's this year.

G-Man, thanks for letting us down here in southside know the hard cold facts on what chance the teams out of conference 37 and 38 have in the regionals. I guess we can all save gas and eating money for something else since the outcome of the tournament has already been decided. Good luck to the G-Men, maybe they have a snowballs chance of pulling off an upset. Mavahi and Dan River aren't as strong as last year, so it may be a hard row to hoe trying to get back to the state semi's this year.

Mavahi and Dan River are definitely the teams to beat in the West...everyone else is just playing to make it to the West semifinals...

I certainly agree with GMan ... Martinsville and Dan River are the teams to beat in 2A West! Hopefully, Graham can continue to slide under the radar and "rumble" without any sound or fanfare. As much as I back the G-Men, any early upset and exit would not surprise me. Either way, Graham has completed a remarkable regular regular season. With Graham's JV finishing 20-2, the possibility for some exciting and successful basketball is ahead for the fans calling Bluefield, VA home. Best of luck to the Graham G-Men and congrats on a 20-2 mark!

Graham's lack of a big man may prove to be detrimental in the playoffs.... The would match up very well with anybody at the other spots on the floor. That's what beat them against Bluefield.…. They were definitely peaking at the right time and the defense was really getting their act together at the end of the season.

Having been to the state tournament at VCU a few times.…. You would be surprised at how well the D 1 and D 2 schools from the West match up with the schools from the East. I think there are 4 or 5 teams from the west who could make it to the finals.....Graham is right at the top of the list. I love their intensity here lately, they have really stepped up their game...and both Miller and Dalton have improved at Center throughout the season.....they just lack the size.

The 4 teams to advance to the 2A west bracket from down southside way are Martinsville, Glenvar,Dan River and Buckingham. After the finals are played we will see who the match ups will be and where they will be at.