Union Bears at Burton Raiders

FBDevotee

I mean no disrespect to the Richlands and Gate City or Honaker and Lebanon fans, but I think this will be the best game for fans to watch week one VHSL 2015. I suspect that Burton is the most likely team in SWVA to go 10-0 this season (in part due to their schedule); and will definitely be most improved. And we all know that Union will be very strong. I think because the game is on Thursday night the stands will be packed with a college game atmosphere and the game itself will be an exciting high scoring affair. It is a great way for southwestern Virginia HS football to begin!

On paper they have the makings of a great team and Perrigan(when healthy is an incredible athlete) but this is basically the same team Haysi handled pretty easily in the first round of the playoffs. With Perrigan they could be very good but if hes not 100% then they may just be pretty good. We will find out Thursday

When Burton was dominate they had elite speed for this area. Jet sweep here jet sweep there and Jacob Coleman and company just couldn't be caught. Then oh wait let us hand it off to will godsey and let him rumble up the middle for 10 yards. Don't forget their smothering defense were very fast to the ball. Burton don't have that elite speed at multiple positions anymore so therefore they are very predictable and can be contained.

Now they run more Jet Sweep, GT Counter as where it used to be Jet left, Jet right, jet, jet, jet. With the OL they have and a different approach they could be hard to stop, if they try jet, jet, jet then they will struggle against good/fast teams

Hey guys, coming from Abingdon...is it best to just stay on 58 through town and then turn at the Holiday Inn...or is it better to get on 23 and come down to the next exit?  Thanks.

If you want to make it a little quicker, get on 23 when you get into Norton and then get off at the next exit. Either way, you may encounter a little bit of traffic and pedestrians. 

Really doesn't matter.

I take that back. 

Get on 23. Past the turnoff to 23, there is a bridge that is one lane and they are working on a wall that they have been building for over a year and it holds up traffic. The 23 route will be a lot quicker.

Big crowd in Norton, standing room only. 

JIB was never in the game. 3 botched snaps on their first possession. If JIB doesnt step up theres no way they get past GW, Covington, Galax, Honaker, etc

Union looked good. Very athletic backs, matched with solid line play. They will be tough to stop. That athleticism carried over to the defensive side of the ball. JIB didnt get the edge all night