Any suprises after Week 1? Big games in week 2.

RiverRat24

I thought Northwestern pretty much dominating Stanford was a shock. Maybe Stanford is piss poor this year but they normally have great fundamentals and play solid smashmouth football no matter how much they lack in talent. Kinda suprised on this one.

I expected to see Wisconsin give Bama a little bit more of a fit than they did. However, their starting RB did go out with an injury in the first half.....but 40 yards rushing is still putrid. In defense to them, Bamas defensive front is SOLID. It will take a dual threat QB to shake them up i think.

Another couple big shocks was Arizona St getting pummeled by A&M...not even close really. And Oregon letting EWU hang near 50 on them along with a ton of yards.

An awful QB and awful QB performance and Michigan still had a chance to beat the Utes. I think in another 3 years Harbaugh will have them in the mix.... even though I can not stand him.

I won't say that BG giving TN a fit was as big of a shock due to Johnson being a highly touted QB and having good receivers. Biggest let down for them was the secondary not being able to stop Gherig Dieter....no answer whatsoever. But they did pull away finally. TN has a good backfield and Dobbs is pretty solid.

Who's everyone's favorite matchups for week 2?? First week is almost in the books with OSU and VT still left.

Stanford's reverting back to the mean, and this is put-up-or-shut-up time for Fitzgerald, who is a very good coach. Surprising, but not shocking.

Rob Riggle did a horrible job coaching Pitt. Expect him to run Wisconsin straight into the center of the earth.

My favorite matchup is watching ND hang 60 on my Hoos in Leg 2 of the London Death March.

I don't see them hanging 60 haha not even close! UVA has alot more of a pulse than TX in my opinion. Me being a ND fan....I'm still not drinking the Kool aid. It takes alot for me to buy into all the hype....been burned way too many times before.

What kind of prediction do you have for the game UVAObserver?

I have ND winning 31-17. Not a blowout this week since it's on the road.

Notre Dame - 62

UVA - 10

The talent gap and coaching divide are worlds apart. It will take ND about 15 minutes to prepare for the "run-run-pass" Fairchild offense. Our defense is young and undisciplined, which leads to poor play and dumb mistakes.

The line came out at -10.5, and I was shocked. Very tempted to make a bet on ND with that spread.

I am not a VT fan but if they are considering burning the redshirt on Dwayne Lawson, the next two weeks would be the ideal spot for them to do so.  That would make the VT/Furman game pretty important for the later part of the season for VT.  It gives him a relatively safe environment to get 8 quarters under his belt before playing stiffer competition.

He is better suited to start at this point than Tyrod Taylor was as a freshman.  I know the ESPN guys spoke of Chris Durkin last night quite a bit but from my limited knowledge of VT football, he has been somewhat of a disappointment.

Just a thought for all the Hokie Homers on this board!

Doubt they burn Lawson's redshirt unless Motley or Durkin go down.  Post game show was all about getting Motley ready for next week and Durkin would be stepping up to #2...never once mentioned Lawson.

Penn State losing to Temple was somewhat of a shocker to me.  PSU QB was/is highly touted as a first rounder but that performance looked more like a practice squad kind of guy. 

Stupid phone...

Hackenburg was as good as he'll ever be in Year 1.  There's a reason Penn State as the only high-major program recruiting him as a QB, as opposed to TE, where he was projected to play by everyone.  When Mike London gives up on you as a QB prospect...that's harsh.

Penn State was more of an offensive line problem than QB issue. Pro style QB who lacks mobility and no time to make progressions equals sacks. Add to that a suspect secondary on defense and you will have a long season.

Doubt they burn Lawson's redshirt unless Motley or Durkin go down.  Post game show was all about getting Motley ready for next week and Durkin would be stepping up to #2...never once mentioned Lawson.

In separate articles on The Key Play and Bleacher Report both Beamer and Loeffler are quoted as saying Lawson would get "a significant look this week to see where he is".

I sincerely hope they do not burn his redshirt. He is NOT ready. Not even close. Tyrod was more ready from a mechanics and playbook standpoint than Lawson is. Let Motley manage the next month until Brewer can play again.

NW was a shock to me. I thought they would make a game of it but I didnt expect them to win.

Not suprised by Bama/Wiscinsin, W just doesnt have the athletes that Bama does.

AZSt getting whooped up on came as a huge suprise to me. There was some hype for them preseason.

Oregon letting EW put up that many points was a huge suprise to me. The "experts" on ESPN said "thats how Oregon plays ball", I just dont see how they expect to win anything outside of the Pac like that

A lot of hype for UT(from their fans anyway), I think they are gonna be disappointed. Good season but not what many are expecting

VT was leading the clear cut #1 team in the nation at halftime. Im proud of how they played. Sure they had some issues but OSU is loaded. I wouldnt burn Lawsons redshirt unless Motley simply cannot do it.

In separate articles on The Key Play and Bleacher Report both Beamer and Loeffler are quoted as saying Lawson would get "a significant look this week to see where he is".

In the post game show, neither one said "Lawson"...but they did say "the freshman"...fact check 100%...

Some of my thoughts from the NEZ.

1. Motley looked TERRIBLE in the 1st quarter. Looked way out of sync and just couldn't make any right decisions.

2. Motley looked decent in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. He started calming down and was reading progressions a bit. Still was bailed out by the receivers on a few plays, though.

3. Durkin is a tank of a QB. You need 1 on 4th down? Give him the Logan Thomas treatment.

4. Lawson looked good mentally. Making progressions. Running when needed. Staying in pocket. Etc. His mechanics were a bit sporadic though. I think he'll be a good one when he leaves.

5. Don't know what to make of it since it was Furman, but it was good to see 250+ yards rushing.

On to Purdue.