Central vs. Ridgeview Girls

LongTimeSWVAFan

Looks like we'll get an early gauge of how good each team is Saturday. The two are going to play Saturday at UVA-Wise in the finals of a tournament. No way either loses on Friday.

I went and watched last night. I think they are pretty even among the first six or seven but Central has much more depth. They had a girl come off the bench that was in the 9th grade that I'm not so sure won't turn out to be the best player that is in that tournament when all is said and done.

Pretty good girls players in that thing, some kid from Jenkins scored her 4,000th point, Central has talent out the wazzoo and Ridgeview has some players in Mullins - the Gully girls. Frazier and the Counts girl aren't bad either.

Curious to see what GC has, they'll have to play to beat one of these two, may be the most competitive girls basketball has been around here in a while.

GW and Union are both good teams don't think anyone should be looking past there next game just yet.

Here are my quick thoughts of yesterdays games

RV has a ton of speed in the starting lineup and off the bench and moves the ball well in transition. But missed a lot of makeable shots IMHO that will hurt them somewhere down the line if it continues.

Central completely dominated Castlewood the game was over at the 4 min mark of the 1st qtr.....Central trapped early in the game and Castlewood imploded as they could not get across half court Central could pretty much do what they wanted inside or outside.

As for matchups Friday

I think RV will need to shoot a little better from outside as I expect Union to pack in and run a zone. I look for RV to press Union and force there guards to really work to get the ball up the court.

I think GW will do a better job of getting the ball across mid court than Castlewood did Central should win this one easily but I think GW will at least put up a fight

As for a possible Central/RV matchup it should be a dandy whether it happens now or in the reg season Central has the Size advantage RV the Speed advantage both teams had 4 girls in double figures in there games Wed Both teams went at least 10 deep on there bench without seeing a real drop-off in play.

GW and Union are both good teams don't think anyone should be looking past there next game just yet.

Here are my quick thoughts of yesterdays games

RV has a ton of speed in the starting lineup and off the bench and moves the ball well in transition. But missed a lot of makeable shots IMHO that will hurt them somewhere down the line if it continues.

Central completely dominated Castlewood the game was over at the 4 min mark of the 1st qtr.....Central trapped early in the game and Castlewood imploded as they could not get across half court Central could pretty much do what they wanted inside or outside.

As for matchups Friday

I think RV will need to shoot a little better from outside as I expect Union to pack in and run a zone. I look for RV to press Union and force there guards to really work to get the ball up the court.

I think GW will do a better job of getting the ball across mid court than Castlewood did Central should win this one easily but I think GW will at least put up a fight

As for a possible Central/RV matchup it should be a dandy whether it happens now or in the reg season Central has the Size advantage RV the Speed advantage both teams had 4 girls in double figures in there games Wed Both teams went at least 10 deep on there bench without seeing a real drop-off in play.

Are you kin to the Counts girl that plays? She'd start on most teams around here.

Looks like we'll get an early gauge of how good each team is Saturday. The two are going to play Saturday at UVA-Wise in the finals of a tournament. No way either loses on Friday.

I went and watched last night. I think they are pretty even among the first six or seven but Central has much more depth. They had a girl come off the bench that was in the 9th grade that I'm not so sure won't turn out to be the best player that is in that tournament when all is said and done.

Pretty good girls players in that thing, some kid from Jenkins scored her 4,000th point, Central has talent out the wazzoo and Ridgeview has some players in Mullins - the Gully girls. Frazier and the Counts girl aren't bad either.

Curious to see what GC has, they'll have to play to beat one of these two, may be the most competitive girls basketball has been around here in a while.

Yeah, I am from Dickenson County, but live in Bristol now, and can't tell what kind of competition Union is, but the BHC has already previewed the Hogoheegee and considers GW to be a state championship contending team in 1A.  

I honestly don't think either team will have an easy semifinal, but I do agree with you that both Central and Ridgeview will probably win.  Wished I could see it, but I will be in Salem tomorrow.

I'm not sure there is 7-10 points difference in Central-Ridgeview-GC-Union and with how the officiating is you can flip a coin on who wins.

Gully was clearly fouled on the last shot and Central was given two points on a clear lane violation on a one and one. Factor in Central shot over 30 free throws and I'd say things will get wild in January.

Yeah, I mentioned to a buddy last night, I don't think ever has winning the regular season conference championship been more important than this year in the CMD girls.  I wouldn't want to be that 2-4th seeded teams in the conference tournament having to worry about being the one to secure that second region berth out of the CMD tournament.

I know their last game was at the College but I haven't got a chance to walk into Ridgeview's new gym yet. Do they have a nice gym? I would think so but was just wondering. It would be hard to beat those gyms at Clinchco and Clintwood elementary. Even if you were late those upper decks was nice.

I checked it out for the first time on Friday night.  It's a nice gym, nice looking, don't get me wrong, but I think Clinchco is better.  I doubt I will get to another home game at all this year unless Union or Gate City is on a Friday.

I will be at the away games at Lebanon, Battle and Gate City and possibly the Coalfield tournament at Uva-Wise depending on who the other teams are in it.

I normally go to the Arby's, so the Coalfield tournament would have to be stacked for me to miss the Arby's.

Few things to hit on

#1 Union girls are Solid and will give anyone playing them trouble if they can get some breaks for there big 2 players so they have alittle more juice at the end of the game it could put them over the top

#2 RV Girls need to shoot better No idea of the stat line but they could not have been much better than 50% from the free throw line and they were still a ton of misses from directly under the basket IMHO better shooting is needed if RV wants to make a legit run at the CM district this season.

#3 Central is as solid as ever and play great basketball however seemed to go over the top with some theatrical flops playing D that will catch-up to them if they stop getting those calls

As for Ridgeview's Gym I am not sure what its capacity is but it is close to what Clintwood/Clinchco was I like that the court is actual wood and not whatever was at the old gym, The upper deck is a pretty good spot to watch the game from although the mini bleachers that they have up there are probably pointless

Speaking of gyms, Whitewood had/has the craziest most unique gym ever. First roll fans had to put their feet on the court. One goal had what seemed like 2 inches and then bam, a wall. The other goal had what again seemed like 2 inches and a stage. The back/half court line was around the top of the key. I have no idea what the dimensions were.