VT Basketball

Ryan4VT

So this Saturday, VT could potentially win its way into the 6 seed in the ACC Tournament. This coming when every major (aside CBS Sports) sports media had VT at 14th winning 1-2 games. 

If VT wins and finishes the regular season at 18-13 and 10-8 in the ACC, is that enough for Buzz to get CoY mentions? I know it will likely go to Roy or Bennett or Coach K, but they are expected to do what they are doing. We weren't even supposed to be mentioned. 

Thoughts??

I think even with a loss Saturday Buzz is still in the talks for COY but IMO I would give it to Larranaga....If Roy Williams wins it then it's a total joke...he is one of the worst coaches i've ever seen...No way with that talent they should have some of the losses they have....but I frankly don't care who wins it. Buzz has done a very good job and that's all that matters to me

So this Saturday, VT could potentially win its way into the 6 seed in the ACC Tournament. This coming when every major (aside CBS Sports) sports media had VT at 14th winning 1-2 games.

If VT wins and finishes the regular season at 18-13 and 10-8 in the ACC, is that enough for Buzz to get CoY mentions? I know it will likely go to Roy or Bennett or Coach K, but they are expected to do what they are doing. We weren't even supposed to be mentioned.

Thoughts??

No, not every major media outlet had VT 14th, and I've already posted that in the Chatbox. You must recall that. There were several calling between 10th and 14th.

COY will probably go to Larranaga if Miami finishes 1st. Buzz does have a shot.

So, I'll be the first to admit that I haven't followed basketball this year near as much as I have in years past.  New girlfriend will do that to you, Lol.  Duke and UNC is probably the only game I have watched in the last month.  I'm going to try to start this week cause of conference tournaments and such, but anyways... last time I looked at Lunardi's bracketology, he had 9 ACC teams in the tournament.  So, if VT is possibly a 6 seed, are they one of the teams that could possibly get an at large?  If so, that's awesome and Buzz should be commended for that. I don't recall them being one of the nine Lunardi had in, but it's been awhile since I last checked.

So, I'll be the first to admit that I haven't followed basketball this year near as much as I have in years past. New girlfriend will do that to you, Lol. Duke and UNC is probably the only game I have watched in the last month. I'm going to try to start this week cause of conference tournaments and such, but anyways... last time I looked at Lunardi's bracketology, he had 9 ACC teams in the tournament. So, if VT is possibly a 6 seed, are they one of the teams that could possibly get an at large? If so, that's awesome and Buzz should be commended for that. I don't recall them being one of the nine Lunardi had in, but it's been awhile since I last checked.

VT has no chance of an at-large bid. VT's RPI is still hovering near 100, and VT's dreadful nonconference slate (and some bizarre losses early) was always going to make them prohibitive.

Hopefully Buzz uses that as a lesson, scheduled much tougher next year, and mounts what should be a realistic NCAA campaign.

No, not every major media outlet had VT 14th, and I've already posted that in the Chatbox.

That's why I said aside CBS Sports. They were the only one you put in the chat box that didn't have us 14th. They had us 10th.

The only way we go dancing is if we win the ACC tournament. That said. One more win could lock us into the NIT. The only issue with the NIT is we are likely to be a low seed and not get a home game. If we were to get bumped to the CBI, we would almost assuredly get at least one home game.

It's a double edged sword. Do you want the better prestige of the NIT over the CBI, or do you want a home game(s)?

(and some bizarre losses early)

Only one "bizarre loss" this year...Alabama St. to start the season.  Other losses were Iowa St. (#4 at the time) by 22 on the road, Northwestern by 2 in OT (a game they coulda/shoulda won), St. Joe's on the road by 19, and, of course, the WVU debacle.  Iowa St., St. Joe's, and WVU will all be dancing.  VT did beat UAB (24-5) who will likely make the NCAA tourney.  Their other seven non-conference wins, even though they weren't against the toughest competition, were by an average margin of 19.67 points, including four 30+ point blowouts.

No, not every major media outlet had VT 14th, and I've already posted that in the Chatbox. You must recall that. There were several calling between 10th and 14th.

The one that matters is the ACC's preseason poll...VT was 14th...

But, honestly, none of them really matter...only the final standings do...

VT broke the top 100 in RPI today. We are 98th.

Miami isn't nearly as good on the road as at home, and VT has only lost twice at home in the ACC to UNC and L'Ville.

VT could possibly pull an upset here.

Only one "bizarre loss" this year...Alabama St. to start the season. Other losses were Iowa St. (#4 at the time) by 22 on the road, Northwestern by 2 in OT (a game they coulda/shoulda won), St. Joe's on the road by 19, and, of course, the WVU debacle. Iowa St., St. Joe's, and WVU will all be dancing. VT did beat UAB (24-5) who will likely make the NCAA tourney. Their other seven non-conference wins, even though they weren't against the toughest competition, were by an average margin of 19.67 points, including four 30+ point blowouts.

Northwestern is still north of 100 in the RPI. And you can't erase that SWAC loss. That is hideous.

VT played 6 teams north of 300 in the RPI. That is NCAA damnation, given how much a factor SOS plays in the RPI and on its own metric.

But the NIT is just about in play, and that's quite a jump from where most thought VT would be.

Northwestern is still north of 100 in the RPI. And you can't erase that SWAC loss. That is hideous.

VT played 6 teams north of 300 in the RPI. That is NCAA damnation, given how much a factor SOS plays in the RPI and on its own metric.

But the NIT is just about in play, and that's quite a jump from where most thought VT would be.

Our SOS is actually in the 60s, so it's not like some team who's is in the 150s or something. 

In that dimly lit high school gym, yes.

When the two teams played in a legitimate college arena, VT got reamed.

I'll gladly take our compact 9000 seat arena over a "legitimate" arena any day. 

Go ask Dook is theirs is a "legit" arena or not. lol

I'll gladly take our compact 9000 seat arena over a "legitimate" arena any day.

Go ask Dook is theirs is a "legit" arena or not. lol

Duke at least uses greater than 40W bulbs in its ceiling fans. And yes, Cameron Indoor is a dump compared to the majority of college basketball.

Duke at least uses greater than 40W bulbs in its ceiling fans. And yes, Cameron Indoor is a dump compared to the majority of college basketball.

Yet it is THE place in this country to watch a game. Sometimes, the biggest, best stadiums aren't always the best. ;)

Tuesday, March 8 - Opening Day
Noon – No. 12 NC State vs. No. 13 Wake Forest (ESPN2/ACC Network)
2 p.m. – No. 11 Florida State vs. No. 14 Boston College (ESPN2/ACC Network)

Wednesday, March 9 - Second round
Noon – No. 8 Pitt vs. No. 9 Syracuse (ESPN/ACC Network)
2 p.m. – No. 5 Duke vs. Tuesday noon winner (ESPN/ACC Network)
7 p.m. – No. 7 Clemson vs. No. 10 Georgia Tech (ESPN2/ACC Network)
9 p.m. – No. 6 Virginia Tech vs. Tuesday 2 p.m. winner (ESPN2/ACC Network)

Thursday, March 10 - Quarterfinals
Noon – No. 1 North Carolina vs. Wednesday noon winner (ESPN/ACC Network)
2 p.m. – No. 4 Notre Dame vs. Wednesday 2 p.m. winner (ESPN/ACC Network)
7 p.m. – No. 2 Virginia vs. Wednesday 7 p.m. winner (ESPN/ACC Network)
9 p.m. – No. 3 Miami vs. Wednesday 9 p.m. winner (ESPN/ACC Network)

Friday, March 11 - Semifinals
7 p.m. – Thursday afternoon winners (ESPN/ACC Network)
9 p.m. – Thursday evening winners (ESPN/ACC Network)

Saturday, March 12 - Championship
9 p.m. – Friday evening winners (ESPN/ACC Network)

Great season for the Hokies, especially after a disastrous nonconference. 5 straight wins to make the NIT a realistic goal. The #6 seed in the ACCT, and a better conference record than Pitt, who will make the NCAAs.

Buzz should be coach of the year with the progress the team made.

I think Buzz gets CoY. Roy is supposed to win the ACC. Miami was a surprise, as was Clemson, but neither were picked to finish 14th. This was a masterful job by Buzz of taking what he had and making it fit together.