BHC-PREP FOOTBALL: Akers ready to go at Gate City helm

trublue

Texas A&M has lost every scholarship QB they have had since Johnny Drunkballs left campus. Galax doesn't help your argument in this scenario either. Galax has never ran a spread offense!

http://secsports.go.com/statistics/football/team/total

Injury riddled texas am is 5th in total offense with random walk ons, thanks for solidify my point. Sounds legit.

In 2011 I was attributin more to Clintwood's swva "style" more than galax being spread (nor did I say they were, FYI they are in the "I"). I'll be sure to illustrate my point more.

Will an offensive system make you a champion? No if that was the case everyone would be a champion with the spread.

You are trying to pin my post down to "you must run this" instead of football is changing and do what you do. Comprehension man comprehension.

"It all comes down to practice time and developing talent. If you are blessed with enough talent the spread style system is perfect for you. If you have kids that can't break 5.0 40, then a ground and pound would be the system for you. Establish a excellent weight room, adjust to your talent"

Simple terms

Spread = extremely reliant on talent based

Ground and pound = little more flexible.

Would you like to add something constructive? Maybe you'll teach me something.

Only physically big teams are running ground and pound offenses and being successful. Clintwood was HUGE for a 1A team and were one of the largest teams to ever come out of SWVA. Galax is also a very large team. Honaker is a ground and pound team and also traditionally has a lot of size, when they don't they go with more shotgun.

Essex was a ground and pound team but were HUGE when Haysi played them(250lb+ FB and a 250lb+ TE to go along w/ a OL that probably averaged 260lbs).

Belfry is a MASSIVE team. This years roster boasts 11 players over 200lbs and 3 over 300lbs and the roster isint complete. Their TEs are listed at 6'2" 285lbs and 6'5" 300lbs. With that kind of size they can run anything they want, they just happen to prefer to run Belly Option.

Ridgeview tried to run ground and pound last year and it blew up in their faces. Quick players got to the TB before he could get to the los and big teams overwhelmed an undersized C, TE and FB(all 3 were good players, the FB and TE were fine in space but struggled in the box, the C will make a fine FB at Grundy).

The only teams that are run based and successful without being very large in SWVA are GW and JIB(and JIB was really big up front last year).

Things are swinging back toward the running game but smaller teams will find little success running the ball, regardless of how talented they are.

Could you say that the lack of system and player knowledge attributed to Ridgeview season total?

Players weren't put in their correct places, as in with year 2 that will be fixed and the system is another year older?

What's easier to find

150 kids running sub 4.6

Or 250 kids standing 6ft?

Ridgeview suffered from a lack of system familiarity and I think that hurt the RB situation(going from shotgun 4 wide to I Form is tough for a RB). Beyond that injuries hurt Ridgeview at critical times. Overall they won the games they should have and lost the ones they should have, with Lee being the obvious exception(imo they Rv was the better team and mistakes cost them the game).

Around here, finding 3-4 kids that run 4.6 is equally as hard as finding 3-4 that are 6' 250. Most teams have 1-2 of each.

Ridgeview suffered from a lack of system familiarity and I think that hurt the RB situation(going from shotgun 4 wide to I Form is tough for a RB). Beyond that injuries hurt Ridgeview at critical times. Overall they won the games they should have and lost the ones they should have, with Lee being the obvious exception(imo they Rv was the better team and mistakes cost them the game).

Around here, finding 3-4 kids that run 4.6 is equally as hard as finding 3-4 that are 6' 250. Most teams have 1-2 of each.

Well my honest opinion, Ridgeview is in the system I feel fits them best. Start recruiting like another establishment and I could see the spread working.

To me day in day out a pro i, Wing t, and double wing system is easier to adapt with. They are point of attack driven where warm bodies can be beneficial at times

STUDENT BODY LEFT STUDENT BODY RIGHT

Counter to stay honest.

http://secsports.go.com/statistics/football/team/total

Injury riddled texas am is 5th in total offense with random walk ons, thanks for solidify my point. Sounds legit.

In 2011 I was attributin more to Clintwood's swva "style" more than galax being spread (nor did I say they were, FYI they are in the "I"). I'll be sure to illustrate my point more.

Will an offensive system make you a champion? No if that was the case everyone would be a champion with the spread.

You are trying to pin my post down to "you must run this" instead of football is changing and do what you do. Comprehension man comprehension.

"It all comes down to practice time and developing talent. If you are blessed with enough talent the spread style system is perfect for you. If you have kids that can't break 5.0 40, then a ground and pound would be the system for you. Establish a excellent weight room, adjust to your talent"

Simple terms

Spread = extremely reliant on talent based

Ground and pound = little more flexible.

Would you like to add something constructive? Maybe you'll teach me something.

Texas A&M was 5th in total offense in the SEC.  They actually ranked 50th out of 127 FBS schools when you factor in other conferences.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement of offensive prowess.  

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2016/team/21

I'm not trying to "pin you down" to anything.  Your examples lacked depth, clarity and factually based information.  As Mark Twain once said "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."  Therefore, in terms of comprehension, one can only work with the information provided.  Provide better information to support your argument and the reader may be able to comprehend what you are trying to say!  Otherwise, we are left trying to make sense of the rambling, often incoherent, grammatical mess that was the post quoted above.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative in my response earlier, although I am now.  You have my full attention!  I actually agree with two key points contained within the parameters of your argument.  One, spreads are highly dependent upon personnel.  Two, defenses aren't as ill equipped to contain spread offenses today as they were a decade ago.

Is that constructive enough or is my comprehension lacking still?

Texas A&M was 5th in total offense in the SEC. They actually ranked 50th out of 127 FBS schools when you factor in other conferences. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of offensive prowess.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2016/team/21

I'm not trying to "pin you down" to anything. Your examples lacked depth, clarity and factually based information. As Mark Twain once said "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Therefore, in terms of comprehension, one can only work with the information provided. Provide better information to support your argument and the reader may be able to comprehend what you are trying to say! Otherwise, we are left trying to make sense of the rambling, often incoherent, grammatical mess that was the post quoted above.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative in my response earlier, although I am now. You have my full attention! I actually agree with two key points contained within the parameters of your argument. One, spreads are highly dependent upon personnel. Two, defenses aren't as ill equipped to contain spread offenses today as they were a decade ago.

Is that constructive enough or is my comprehension lacking still?

I'll further my research and explain better next time.

For the sake of a good argument, would you run a spread or (for simplicity) run based system in the parameters that are set by the vhsl in a swva school?

Add moment: I believe Texas a&m offensive philosophy is Zone run with air raid concepts.

It's official. Mac McClung is not playing football. Going to focus solely on football. Akers confirmed to the BHC today.

thank you for being a vital part of this site, no matter how late your news is, I hang on every work you type.

Will losing McClure hurt a lot? I know he's great at basketball but don't know much about him when it comes to football?

Kids a pure athlete. Certainly can't help to lose him lol.

Will losing McClure hurt a lot? I know he's great at basketball but don't know much about him when it comes to football?

Really gifted athlete who could make something out of nothing, and kept defenses honest even though he didnt get a lot of touches from what I saw last year in the preseason and some film on GC.  

I'll further my research and explain better next time.

For the sake of a good argument, would you run a spread or (for simplicity) run based system in the parameters that are set by the vhsl in a swva school?

Add moment: I believe Texas a&m offensive philosophy is Zone run with air raid concepts.

It's hard to argue against what Mark Dixon has been able to accomplish at Galax.  Given my children go to school there, it's also hard to forget his philosophy when giving theoretical concepts of what I think a program should build around.  I know it sounds hyperbolic but the offensive line play of his kids is unmatched in SWVA.  The last three seasons has produced more than 16,000 yards rushing from scrimmage with three different starting RB's.  He has had talent at the RB position but the constant has been the OL.

If I were starting a program, First, I would watch as much tape of Dixon coached offensive lines as I could get my hands on.  Second, I would call RedTiger to come help and bring Colley with him.

Could you imagine a high school offense that featured Colley's passing genius and Dixon's offensive line play?

Would you say game footage is overrated compared to drills schemes and practice he has specialized for the line position. To me that is what separates him from other, what we don't see.

It's easy to "teach" block down pull right, it's a whole another animal simulating gameday activities and building the correct strength and pad level.

I would want to be on that sideline with his material and game plans for a year or two

Would you say game footage is overrated compared to drills schemes and practice he has specialized for the line position. To me that is what separates him from other, what we don't see.

It's easy to "teach" block down pull right, it's a whole another animal simulating gameday activities and building the correct strength and pad level.

I would want to be on that sideline with his material and game plans for a year or two

His players watch more game film than any other three programs I know of.  They are known as "The Breakfast Club".  If you aren't at school by 6am, virtually every day, the other players will drag you there.  And, it's all voluntary.

In essence, it's a happy medium of film, walk-through until you have each movement and repetition at full speed.

His players watch more game film than any other three programs I know of. They are known as "The Breakfast Club". If you aren't at school by 6am, virtually every day, the other players will drag you there. And, it's all voluntary.

In essence, it's a happy medium of film, walk-through until you have each movement and repetition at full speed.

Correct me of I'm wrong, but I feel that the line is more about physical and techniques than film study and recognition.

I can see, lb, dbs, qb's etc focusing on play recognition.

As a lineman you have predetermined men you are set to attack, whether it be a zone, gap, or man run style. If they were a strong passing system that were reactive as linemen, I could see a large film study taking place, to pick up blitzing. I'm just spit balling trying to learn.

Now if they lift at 6 am then I can see that be awesome.

To be clear, the 6am sessions are a combination of weights and film study.

Galax offensive linemen often comment on knowing the defensive players technique better than the defensive players.

How would that not be a remarkable advantage?

*McClung

306 rushing yards 1 TD

839 receiving yards 12 TD

We're losing 1,000 yards of total offense.

McClung was our 2nd leading rusher behind Collier last season and our leading reciever.

To be clear, the 6am sessions are a combination of weights and film study.

Galax offensive linemen often comment on knowing the defensive players technique better than the defensive players.

How would that not be a remarkable advantage?

Same thing happens at Richlands. Those kids lift and watch film 350 days a year. And it shows with programs like Galax and Richlands. They are a consistent force in their class, that doesn't happen overnight.