Weight Lifting Program

Mountain Football

From what I understand from coworkers with sons in the program, Mark Dixon starts the Galax kids when they reach middle school.  He spends quite a bit of time teaching proper technique.  I do not believe they get into actual "strength training" until he is certain they have a good understanding of what they are doing to avoid injury.

I think Coach Turner former Coach at Pulaski and Auburn has always had a great weightlifting program. He would also be one I contact on this subject.

"Cougar Ed", LOL...

I thought Cougar Ed passed away a few years back.  He always used to post on VAPreps...

Techinique with really light weight usually starts in Middle School with serious weight coming after 8th grade is the model most schools use.

Exactly.  Dixon doesn't have 6th and 7th graders lifting serious weight.  It's more about learning the proper technique before high school.

Exactly.  Dixon doesn't have 6th and 7th graders lifting serious weight.  It's more about learning the proper technique before high school.

I spoke with a dad several months ago at another sporting event.  He was bragging on his son, a 6th grader, being able to squat 175lbs.  I thought that was a little much for a 6th grader to be doing.  

I spoke with a dad several months ago at another sporting event.  He was bragging on his son, a 6th grader, being able to squat 175lbs.  I thought that was a little much for a 6th grader to be doing.  

A dad of a Galax 6th grader?  

No it wasn't a Galax 6th grader.  Rural Retreat.

I wouldn't know for certain but I would agree, 175lbs seems a little much for that age.  My daughter is a 6th grader and I wouldn't expect any of her classmates to be squating that much.

Big weight has more dangers than benefits at that age. They don't really develop big muscles at that age anyway, better to build high rep strength. Not to mention everything is growing and expanding, seems like it would be tough on their joints/ligaments/tendons. I wouldn't recommend it and would never endorse it.

No earlier than 6th grade. I actually liked to wait till 7th or 8th. Early on is technique and strengthening the shoulder girdle and core. I taught my own kids technique early and they were strong early. It didn't effect anything with growth or injury, but I wouldn't advise just anybody to do that. Weight doesn't matter. Weight will come. Just my 2 cents.