FB Score UPDATES Week 8

Dick_Vitale

Now Reed for Falcons chewing whitecap out for calling Blues pass incomplete

Looks like he had a good point on that one. Howie had turned up field and had made what the NFL has coined "a football move." Seemed to lose it after that. Ultimately, it didn't make a hill of beans one way or the other. Just field position.

Feels like John Luke was looking one of two ways tonight. Either the defenses way or Howies and neither was good. Why run in two minute drill when you gotta score? Lotta questionable stuff both ways.

Agreed. Didn't get that playcalling. One time early on it made sense only because to run that sweep with Collins was only sure way to get out of bounds and gain yards as opposed to spike or incomplete pass/completed pass that didn't make the sideline. I support that call because it creates another stoppage. Otherwise...

Also, they could have just used their timeouts on D instead of letting Abingdon milk about half the clock (don't know why they were still snapping it in the teens). Then time would have never been an issue.

I super impressed with Abingdons defensive game plan, and the execution of it. I picked AHS in the pick'em because there was no money involved. Had there been money involved I would've bet on Richlands. I've been saying all year that our backend was going to get burned by Richlands. Then I recently decided that if AHS can develop enough of a run game to keep RHS offense on the sidelines then we have a chance. That's what they did through the first three quarters. You Richlands guys please correct me if I'm wrong, but it also seemed like the passing game for you guys has to happen between the 20's. Your guys are dynamic big play guys and when Howie and company are restricted by the back of the end zone things seem to tighten up. We had that early pick by Willis and that helped the defense gain some confidence in the plan. I think Richlands has more overall team speed but the game plan tonight snuffed that. I still can't stand that pooch kickoff Reed does..but because they don't coach kickoff coverage they try and get it as high as they can to allow coverage to converge. But still, we give up massive field position. That kid can kick it to the 5 pretty consistently but he inevitably out kicks the coverage when he does. I just wish theyd coach that better. Any way, best game I've watched all year. I feel certain Richlands will go very far in the playoffs and I wish you guys all the best. Oh yeah, Asbury can sure spin it, no doubt, but he seemed to really telegraph his passes tonight. Has that been something you all have noticed before?

Ginger and I were talking, if they're going to do this, why don't they just kick it out of bounds every time? It'd be better for field position and then you wouldn't have to worry about the return. They haven't gotten close to creating a turnover with that play outside of tonight, and that was on the elements.

Ginger and I were talking, if they're going to do this, why don't they just kick it out of bounds every time? It'd be better for field position and then you wouldn't have to worry about the return. They haven't gotten close to creating a turnover with that play outside of tonight, and that was on the elements.

Dont u have the option to have them rekick?

I 100% agree...kick it out of bounds at the 20 and give them the ball at the 35....which beats giving it to them at the +40. Historically RHS has been a special teams nightmare, at least for AHS. I just wish we would coach them up on kickoff coverage. Dick can kick it inside the 5 somewhat consistently but I would say inside the 10 very consistently. Just coach coverage and tackle them at the 20. Reed had a GREAT game plan overall though...and if they can win regularly while kicking it like that then I'll take it. But the first one that gets housed he will hear it even worse from the crowd. If you guys get a chance to chat with him be sure and ask for his reasoning!

I super impressed with Abingdons defensive game plan, and the execution of it. I picked AHS in the pick'em because there was no money involved. Had there been money involved I would've bet on Richlands. I've been saying all year that our backend was going to get burned by Richlands. Then I recently decided that if AHS can develop enough of a run game to keep RHS offense on the sidelines then we have a chance. That's what they did through the first three quarters. You Richlands guys please correct me if I'm wrong, but it also seemed like the passing game for you guys has to happen between the 20's. Your guys are dynamic big play guys and when Howie and company are restricted by the back of the end zone things seem to tighten up. We had that early pick by Willis and that helped the defense gain some confidence in the plan. I think Richlands has more overall team speed but the game plan tonight snuffed that. I still can't stand that pooch kickoff Reed does..but because they don't coach kickoff coverage they try and get it as high as they can to allow coverage to converge. But still, we give up massive field position. That kid can kick it to the 5 pretty consistently but he inevitably out kicks the coverage when he does. I just wish theyd coach that better. Any way, best game I've watched all year. I feel certain Richlands will go very far in the playoffs and I wish you guys all the best. Oh yeah, Asbury can sure spin it, no doubt, but he seemed to really telegraph his passes tonight. Has that been something you all have noticed before?

Same thing I have stated all year on Bburg onside kicking,  imagine giving Giles ,Abingdon , and Salem the ball on the 50 or 45 every series.  He finally stopped the crap against Pulaski and put the best 11 on the field and a W appears. And our kicker put 4 of 5 in the endzone against Pulaski.

Kick it out of bounds everytime and the opposing coach will continue to back you up and make you rekick.  Each time you do the spot on the field where you can take possession moves up.  The receiving team has the option to take the ball where it went out of bounds, back the kicking team up 5 yards and rekick or take possession 25 yard from where the ball was kicked from.

Dont u have the option to have them rekick?

I believe so, yes. In which case, why are we even talking about this? Haha. Lost my head for a minute. Just kick the ball off and teach lane discipline/coverage. I don't think Abingdon's been AS bad in that respect this year as they were last, so why give up field position? That's the kind of thing that gets you beat real quickly in the playoffs. I hope Abingdon doesn't continue to be so cavalier about that.

Kick it out of bounds everytime and the opposing coach will continue to back you up and make you rekick.  Each time you do the spot on the field where you can take possession moves up.  The receiving team has the option to take the ball where it went out of bounds, back the kicking team up 5 yards and rekick or take possession 25 yard from where the ball was kicked from.

This is true, but compared to the yard lines they were giving it up at last night...you can't do much worse than the 45 or 50. Why even kick at that point? Just say, "oh, you can take it from here, we don't even have to kick it."