Union @ John Battle

John Battle sports

I predicted a 41-14 game last weekend in this matchup. Now that Battle is without Tipton, I'm not so sure Battle scores 14. But like I said, Battle's defense better show up big time if they want to compete tonight, gotta find a way to make Turner uncomfortable in the backfield. You can't give Turner all day to sit back and find Mitchell once he gets open.

But I can also see Union laying an egg tonight. We won't know what's going to happen until 7:30pm, you play the game for a reason. I'm just hoping to get my $6 worth.

Heard through my director at work that Battle's QB tore his ACL last week... 

And to my knowledge, they've also already lost their #3 QB to an ACL tear (was QB of the JV team at least) earlier in the season. I don't know if this would ever come into play (and I certainly hope not), but for a team the size of Battle, I believe that leaves them down just a few options at the spot, and only one of whom whose primary position is QB. For example, if they (as has been rumored above) have to move Scarbrough to QB (who's listed as a QB/RB/DB on their official roster), they'd be taking his playmaking ability at other positions.

But, I do have to say, he's a GREAT kid. I'm not denigrating anyone else in saying that, just saying how impressed I've been with Mr. Scarbrough in my limited interactions with him. It's ALWAYS yes sir, no sir, and he's an affable kid that I think most of the student body at JSB considers a leader. So best of luck to both him and the Trojans this week and beyond.

And to my knowledge, they've also already lost their #3 QB to an ACL tear (was QB of the JV team at least) earlier in the season. I don't know if this would ever come into play (and I certainly hope not), but for a team the size of Battle, I believe that leaves them down just a few options at the spot, and only one of whom whose primary position is QB. For example, if they (as has been rumored above) have to move Scarbrough to QB (who's listed as a QB/RB/DB on their official roster), they'd be taking his playmaking ability at other positions.

But, I do have to say, he's a GREAT kid. I'm not denigrating anyone else in saying that, just saying how impressed I've been with Mr. Scarbrough in my limited interactions with him. It's ALWAYS yes sir, no sir, and he's an affable kid that I think most of the student body at JSB considers a leader. So best of luck to both him and the Trojans this week and beyond.

You're right about him being a leader. My son talks about him all the time. It should work out pretty good with him being a RB all season. So he is very in tune with how it works. I think the transition will be more seamless than most people think.

Union and Giles somehow need to make it to the 3rd round so that we can see how good that run defense is against a real single wing ;) jk but I would love to see them two play!

If Union gets to the 3rd round, and has a home game against Giles. Win or Lose, I'll buy your ticket to the game. :) That would be the least I could do for you knocking off the #1 seed. Gas money to Graham or Appo would cost more than that.

If Union gets to the 3rd round, and has a home game against Giles. Win or Lose, I'll buy your ticket to the game. :) That would be the least I could do for you knocking off the #1 seed. Gas money to Graham or Appo would cost more than that.

Anything is possible! In 2013 Appo was the 8th seed and stomped Marion in the 1st round and almost pulled off the upset against #1 seed Giles. How the tables have turned haha we may have the exact scenario but with Appo at 1 and Giles at 8!

I follow the Union twitter account, they do a great job. 42-14 in 4th, figured Battle would put a better fight. Union claims second consecutive conference title going undefeated in conference play.

I do too. Was hoping to listen to it while I was fishing.

Battle did fight hard. And Larry is right. The sweep with #9 killed them. Plus Battle left some points out there. They made 3 trips inside the 20 only to come up empty handed. But that was probably the best team on both sides of the ball we've seen all year besides Abingdon. Anybody who was there will tell you that Battle moved the ball well & played hard until the end. There is no quit in this team. I've been watching JSB since 2001 & this team plays harder than any that I have seen there... Very good crew officiating the game tonight also. I feel that they called it very fair both ways. I didn't see them miss anything obvious all night. Both teams played an extremely clean game. My hat's off to both teams for a class act on the field. Congratulations to Union & good luck to both teams moving forward.

Good luck going forward, but it woint get any easier, a trip to Richlands will be a tough road to hoe.

How do you think Union compares to Abingdon?

I thought Abingdon was better. They put it on us pretty bad & pulled the starters after the 1st drive of the 3rd Quarter. They are very solid.... and yeah Richlands will definitely be tough. But we moved the ball very well tonight. You could really tell a difference in the second half on Offense. I think they should do even better next week.

I mean no disrespect here but I don't see this game being close. Unions first team defense is no joke they should stop the run an the offense should put points up at a pretty good clip. like I said no disrespect to the battle program they are going in the right direction but union is a different caliber team and program at this point. I change my prediction to Union42 Battle14. I cant wait to see everybody tonight I got a good friend from battle Mr Bill Brooks.

42 14 was my prediction i was close

I thought Abingdon was better. They put it on us pretty bad & pulled the starters after the 1st drive of the 3rd Quarter. They are very solid.... and yeah Richlands will definitely be tough. But we moved the ball very well tonight. You could really tell a difference in the second half on Offense. I think they should do even better next week.

I wouldn't count Union out against the Falcons but Abingdon would be a favorite. Union would have the best player on the field but it'd be much tougher to run okn them compared to Battle or Lee, although Union had a lot of success early running v. Richlands.

But good luck, you'll need every drop at Richlands, if you give JLA time to throw, they'll kill ya. They also have WRs that make big plays.

If Battle had even a little of a passing threat they could score on anyone. They ran the ball on us better than anyone all season. Game was a lot better than the score indicated.

You can only take what the Defense gives you. The deep passes were not open tonight. I thought Battle did a really good job with the short to medium passing game. And I agree, the game was better than the score.

I don't know how the offense looked with the starting QB in there, but it looked pretty good tonight. I enjoyed watching it. Was impressed with Battle's speed as well. Good, clean, and fair game all around.

The Offense looked pretty much the same. I really thought there wasn't any drop-off. He ran the Offense very well. Unions DBs took away any chance of throwing the ball deep. That hurt. Because we usually take a few shots down the field.

I was really surprised in Battle's defense not being able to adjust to the sweeps. They went in at half knowing what they needed to stop, the 2nd half started and nothing changed defensively for Battle. Union just controlled the LOS and executed a good gameplan. Speaking of officials, I wish GC could get some officials like what this game had, very well done and kept the game moving along. Only thing I questioned is the onside kick recovery and from where I was sitting, it looked like a catch on Battle's 2nd drive.

I was really surprised in Battle's defense not being able to adjust to the sweeps. They went in at half knowing what they needed to stop, the 2nd half started and nothing changed defensively for Battle. Union just controlled the LOS and executed a good gameplan. Speaking of officials, I wish GC could get some officials like what this game had, very well done and kept the game moving along. Only thing I questioned is the onside kick recovery and from where I was sitting, it looked like a catch on Battle's 2nd drive.

Those sweeps to #9 killed Battle. That kid really had some wheels... Onside kick was nutty. They blew the play dead, started getting kids out of the pile, & the Battle kid let the ball go too soon while trying to get out of the pile. He definitely had it. But the refs most likely hadn't seen him yet. So that was that. I couldn't see the catch. The receiver had his back to me & I couldn't see the ball. 

Those sweeps to #9 killed Battle. That kid really had some wheels... Onside kick was nutty. They blew the play dead, started getting kids out of the pile, & the Battle kid let the ball go too soon while trying to get out of the pile. He definitely had it. But the refs most likely hadn't seen him yet. So that was that. I couldn't see the catch. The receiver had his back to me & I couldn't see the ball.