The Nearly Thanksgiving SWVA Top 20

HowTheWestWasWon2017

Hampton returned alot of guys that was in their rotation from last years State championship run.... so it will be interesting to keep up with them and see how they continue to do. They always seem to keep alot of talent over in Hampton.

I've not seen Council play since GC played them many moons ago. I wouldn't have a clue what those guys bring to the table anymore. I do know they used to have a decent ball team for a few years though.

No disrespect against Council, but I do not think their Varsity team could compete against GC jv team... maybe even middle school. Gratned Council has about 100-150 kids. 

I hate to start talking basketball before football is over but what the heck... I'll chime in on Union's outlook, I think some folks might be surprised. They did lose a lot to graduation but we have some Sophomores that can really play, a couple should be in the starting 5 IMO. Mitchell and Slagle are both back as starters and are as good as anybody around. Sharritt is a solid shooter. Other two starters could go a couple of ways between 3-4 kids. If a few of the young guys come along they could make a little run. I don't think they are GC level right away but could be by season end. A late start will make a difference early.

Well, everyone on here should know by now what I (and the majority of everyone else in Dickenson County) think is wrong with the football team.  Basketball, they lost both Hunter Sutherland (arguably the best pure shooter in the district) and Will Ratliff (big 6'8" guy in the middle) to graduation.  I honestly haven't seen them yet to know what they DO have this year, and probably won't get to see them much.  I just know a 68-64 win over Council is not too promising.

The girls should still be OK.  I might have exaggerated that part of the statement above just a little.  Probably not a region contender this year, but probably a solid 4th place team in the Mountain.

1. Gate city 

2. Radford  

* Gate City and Radford about the same personal - Radford deeper or more experienced but Gate City just a little better players in the starting rotation.  Both teams need some more height.  But seriously Gate CIty stop crying about experience or whatever. You got 3 D1 Prospects.  Next years game b/w Gate City and Radford get there early for a seat.  

3. Union - 

4. Graham -

*  both lost big with graduation - I like the best players from Union better.  Love the coaching and hustle of Graham.  

5. George Wythe -  

6. Honaker - 

7. Richlands - 

* Honaker kids play together all year around.  Alex is different player all together than Tanner.  But will Help.  Richland could get together and be number 1 at the end of the year.  George Wythe just finished strong last year and was very impressive at the end of the year.  Everyone talks about Johnson but don't forget about Atwood.   

the rest - 8-20 ????  

Graham will be as good or  better than last season.  Dalton starting in place of Miller is an upgrade.  Although they lost Workman and Clarke at guard positions, they have more than capable replacements coming up.  They will have more depth this season as well.  The kids coming up from JV can play some ball.