Hurley vs PM

Lance

The tariffs and states' rights arguments are the first things confederate apologists throw out, but both are flat out wrong.

An attempt to pass the Morrill tariff occurred in the fall of 1860, but the vote was tabled because the supporters of the tariff didn't have the votes to pass it. In fact, the supporters couldn't even get it out of the finance committee until seven southern states had seceded. Regarding states' rights, all you have to do is compare the southern constitution with the U.S. Constitution. In the Confederate Constitution, at least three states rights are explicitly taken away.......the freedom of states to grant voting rights to non-citizens, the freedom of states to trade freely with each other, and the freedom of states to outlaw slavery within their borders. As far as slave-owning rights go, however, the document is ironclad, and far more overreaching than the U.S. Constitution. Four different clauses entrench the legality of slavery in a number of different ways, and together they virtually guarantee that any sort of anti-slave law or policy would be unconstitutional.

This being said, Parsons is right (and it may cause a seal of the Apocalypse to crack by me saying it) vis-a-vis the Confederacy's justifications. "State rights" is a cutesy phrase that our history teachers like to use, but the common denominator of all that is the agrarian economy that flat couldn't exist without slavery. Take away slavery, you take away the antebellum economic foundation.

First of all, before you try to twist my post(s) and label me a bigot or racist, which I AM NOT, the right side won. .... The Southern states were defending state's rights, they were not trying to dominate the world or exterminate a specific race of people. Germany had the means to accomplish their goals, the Confederacy did not. By that, I am talking about their industrial advantages. The Confederacy had no advantages, with the exception of Robert E. Lee, who was defending his home.

I hope you are not going to compare Jefferson Davis or Robert E. Lee to Adolph Hitler.

I've added a couple of quotes from an earlier discussion of the same subject. You are wrong, the only states' right the confederacy was fighting for was the right to preserve the institution of slavery.

First of all, before you try to twist my post(s) and label me a bigot or racist, which I AM NOT

I hope you are not going to compare Jefferson Davis or Robert E. Lee to Adolph Hitler.

No, but here's a quote from Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens in his famous "Cornerstone speech" --"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. [Applause.] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

You seem to have a knack for being "right."  I am starting to see a pattern here.  You have to be a progressive....I am right, all who disagree are wrong!!  Your comment comparing the Confederacy to Nazis is ridiculous.  Plenty of Confederate dead in local cemeteries that died as Americans.  Most confederate soldiers were too poor to own slaves.

The pattern persists............

First of all, before you try to twist my post(s) and label me a bigot or racist, which I AM NOT, the right side won. The Southern states were defending state's rights, they were not trying to dominate the world or exterminate a specific race of people.

I guess, using your scale, fighting to keep almost 4 million people enslaved doesn't quite spike your bad cause meter ...

no, its pointless to argue with you....

Because you are in the same position as your "old school" buddy. The facts don't support you. You called me "uneducated" a little earlier ... and now you're disengaging. I suspect you recognize which one of us is truly uneducated ...and it's not me.

No, not the case. I'm disengaging because of you social ignorance. Maybe the war started over slavery on the national level. But you're too ignorant to understand that your average confederate fought for states rights. And the fact stays the same as I stated before. So it's pointless because you're a libtard that's more than likely butt hurt because Trump won. DROP MIC

No, not the case. I'm disengaging because of you social ignorance. Maybe the war started over slavery on the national level. But you're too ignorant to understand that your average confederate fought for states rights. And the fact stays the same as I stated before. So it's pointless because you're a libtard that's more than likely butt hurt because Trump won. DROP MIC

Have you ever read the secession declarations, the secession convention speeches, or the confederate constitution?  Lol, what states' rights not  related to the preservation of slavery did  the average soldier fight for?   

Since you've left the conversation, I'll make my final statement on the matter ... assuming no one else chooses to engage. The only true heritage associated with the flag is that white trash have been using it as a crutch to support their self-esteem for over a century.

"Since you've left the conversation, I'll make my final statement on the matter ... assuming no one else chooses to engage. The only true heritage associated with the flag is that white trash have been using it as a crutch to support their self-esteem for over a century."

So all of Hurley is "white trash" I guess? Is that what you are implying here? (Sounds racist btw)

Or anyone that doesn't view it as a racist symbol? This is typical liberal banter, you act like you are "the just side" of arguments like this, but when things don't go your way the truth comes out as to what really dwells in your heart. Typical. Turn on the news and you see the same thing with the election protests.

Stay classy.

The states may have seceded to continue the institution of slavery but the men who fought and died for the Confederacy did so to defend their homes from an invading army, they fought because it was an "us versus them" mentality, they opposed the Union because what do those people up in DC, up in the northern cities know about me and my rural life, what right do they have to tell me to do anything? 

When teams are nicknamed the Rebels and when they're depicting confederate soldiers they're not representing the southern elite, they're representing the common man. The battle flag represents the men that fought against insurmountable odds to defend their homes and refused to quit. The men that owned no slaves and just enough land to scrape out a living. Men that did not own slaves. If Hurley's mascot was a man with a whip I would agree 100% but that's not what it is and to make that equation is ridiculous.

Is there racism and hate associated with the flag, yes of course. Is that what the mascot and flag represent, in no way. The KKK marches with the Christian and American flag as well as the swastika, does that make Christians and patriots racist? No.  Are people that fly the flag supposed to just turn it over to racist idiots? No, they're fighting for it.

Slavery may have been the key states rights issue but its still a states rights. Its still why should the slight majority get to determine the direction of the of the slight minority?

parsons, you're not as educated on the matter as you think you are. What you're doing is giving your personal opinion and presenting it as irrefutable fact, when its not and you flatly refuse to see any other perspective.

And why are we having this conversation again? Didn't we just do this a few months ago???

Lets be honest here for a minute... The confederate flag sure does not represent something positive. Try and spin it as you wish but the flag was a battle flag for the South. The South stood for "States Rights'" and slavery. Okay, glad we got that settled.

Now back to Hurley. What flavor of cupcake you guys going with next year schedule wise? This year was Red Velvet but i hear next year funfetti is making an appearance! 

As far as the schedule for Hurley it was done 2 years ago and they are lucky to get 10 games. Why don't you contact Coach Tester and see if you can help them schedule some better teams I'm sure he'd let you help out.

Remember you'll need to know what kind of team you'll have two years from now and how many kids you'll have to field. Usually runs 18-30 kids over 4 grade levels but the population is shrinking with the demise of the coal industry so you'll have to figure that stuff out as well. Good luck.

As far as the schedule for Hurley it was done 2 years ago and they are lucky to get 10 games. Why don't you contact Coach Tester and see if you can help them schedule some better teams I'm sure he'd let you help out.

Remember you'll need to know what kind of team you'll have two years from now and how many kids you'll have to field. Usually runs 18-30 kids over 4 grade levels but the population is shrinking with the demise of the coal industry so you'll have to figure that stuff out as well. Good luck.

My schedule comment was entirely directed as sarcasm... I forget internet sarcasm is tough sometimes. 

As for their schedule goes, I feel like for the most part, they know what they will have in a few years. They utilize a JV team I assume as well as play young kids as freshmen/sophomore's. Maybe I am too foolish to believe that NO ONE in Hurley saw that this team could have been good 4 years ago. The addition of the QB was icing on the cake for them this year. I just have a hard time believing that this team just popped out of no where and was good last year. With that said, no I do not think they should be trying to schedule the Richlands/Graham/Union's of the state but maybe a few teams with some clout. Maybe they did and was ignored several times. Who knows. Bottom line, their schedule came back and haunted them somewhat this year. 

Just my two cents for what it is worth. Which is not even that much. 

Sarcasm aside, you're not the first to say it. The truth of it is that they don't have any idea even 2 years out who will be on a team or how many. One or two mines could close and the team might be half the size and good players gone to Richlands or beyond with their family looking for work. It's just how it is now. Factor in the location and even Grundy has a hard time getting a full schedule most of the time, people complain about the drive. it's a longer and worse drive to get to Hurley so people aren't lining up to play them, although they should because everyone should play at the cliff at least once if possible.

Haysi was always in the same boat. Hurley plays all of the similar sized schools around, and why would 2A schools play them? This Hurley team would beat most of the 2As in the area. Without the matchups being traditional theres no reason for 2As to play down. Add to that the drive which is a long one. No one wants to play there. Its not like Hurley is dodging tough competition.

My schedule comment was entirely directed as sarcasm... I forget internet sarcasm is tough sometimes.

As for their schedule goes, I feel like for the most part, they know what they will have in a few years. They utilize a JV team I assume as well as play young kids as freshmen/sophomore's. Maybe I am too foolish to believe that NO ONE in Hurley saw that this team could have been good 4 years ago. The addition of the QB was icing on the cake for them this year. I just have a hard time believing that this team just popped out of no where and was good last year. With that said, no I do not think they should be trying to schedule the Richlands/Graham/Union's of the state but maybe a few teams with some clout. Maybe they did and was ignored several times. Who knows. Bottom line, their schedule came back and haunted them somewhat this year.

Just my two cents for what it is worth. Which is not even that much.

These group of seniors were only 4-6 in their 9th grade years with multiple games missed by each due to injuries or sickness. Brady, Zack, Devan and Rocky didn't start and the other 4 didn't play that year. So....yeah it was hard to predict.

As of right now, we have added Tazewell, Pike Central ky, Tug Valley WV, Eastern Montgomery, Rye Cove and we need one more. Elizabethan TN and Blacksburg called last week. You think we can hang with them? How about Tolsia WV? they called or how about Union? Union offered us the same deal as Thomas Walker playing both games at BSG. Just telling you our offers so you wont be in the dark when you make the calls to schedule games

These group of seniors were only 4-6 in their 9th grade years with multiple games missed by each due to injuries or sickness. Brady, Zack, Devan and Rocky didn't start and the other 4 didn't play that year. So....yeah it was hard to predict.

As of right now, we have added Tazewell, Pike Central ky, Tug Valley WV, Eastern Montgomery, Rye Cove and we need one more. Elizabethan TN and Blacksburg called last week. You think we can hang with them? How about Tolsia WV? they called or how about Union? Union offered us the same deal as Thomas Walker playing both games at BSG. Just telling you our offers so you wont be in the dark when you make the calls to schedule games

Exactly, and you sure don't see many 2A teams beefing up their schedules with 3A competition or 4A for that matter. Hurley's sos definitely hurt them this year, but come on. Are they supposed to play Richlands, Union, Graham, Giles, and Appomattox?