8 Man Football

redtiger

I've been thinking about this for a few years and every year it makes more sense, to me at least.

The small schools from SWV, SWVA and EKY should form an 8 man football league.

Maybe - Thomas Walker, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Twin Valley, Hurley, Harlan, Jenkins, Phelps, Montcalm and Tug Valley.

Thoughts?

That's the down side, it would only be those teams every single season. State wide in either WV, WV or KY would be tough because of the distances between really small schools, WV could probably pull it off better than VA or KY.

I appreciate the input from someone who has been involved with it first hand.

I've never heard of 8 man football. Anyone care to explain?

Mark Dixon brought the concept to Galax youth football in 2010.  The idea is to get more kids involved and keep them involved longer.  Read the "Building a Successful Program" thread for further detail.  Here is an excerpt.

First, what Dixon did was reestablish the sandlot program by convincing the recreation center to go to 8-man football and only allowing 10-11 players per team.  No neighboring county wanted to be a part, saying it was doomed to fail, so Galax circled the wagons and does everything within the confines of the city.  Participation is WAY up to the point of having 4 teams per age/grade level with 10 to 11 players per team.  Prior to 8-man, Galax fielded a younger team and an older team with about 15-18 players per team.  8-man guarantees more playing time due to shear numbers.  Sandlot coaches are forced to develop less talented kids they can no longer hide under the bench.  A lot of those kids are obviously dropping football prior to high school for various reasons but many are sticking it out who might otherwise, not have.  The biggest reason for dropping football in my opinion, is the demand on time generated by "The Breakfast Club".  The younger teams consist of 3rd and 4th graders while the older team consists of 6th and 7th graders.  The 5th graders are divided between the older and younger teams by size, age and ability.

But I believe Redtiger is speaking in terms of implementing the concept for high school football.

Football but with 8 players on the field per team instead of 11. 3OL, QB, 4 backs - 3 DL, 2LBs and 3 DBs. Smaller field in both length and width. Rules are basically the same.

The idea is it allows small schools to put better teams on the field by reducing the number of players needed. Its popular in the west/midwest where the schools are small and far between.

I think it would work well in this region because of the small schools and relative closeness of those schools.

Ive thought about it for years but the "Building a successful program" thread definitely got me thinking about it again and yes at the high school level. What im talking about would be an independent league

I've never heard of 8 man football. Anyone care to explain?

A lot of small schools in the Midwest implement 8 and 6 man football.  8 man offenses run without tackles and either without a tight end or wide receiver.  Defenses run a 3-3-2 or 3-2-3 depending on opposition. 

Played on a smaller field, both are fun to watch. 

6 man is pretty much back yard ball with pads, even the center is eligible to receive passes. 

Im not a fan on 6 man, just too crazy lol but 8 man is traditional football just with fewer players

Yeah, the first time I saw 6 man was when I was covering it haha.  I actually said, "What the hell is this?" on air.  Definitely  one of my top 10 broadcasting moments thus far. 

They play 6 man all across Oklahoma. Towns are not quite as far apart as in Nebraska, Montana, etc. It is a great sport. State Championships and all. They play in sneakers and minimal pads and helmet. All are eligible for a pass but there has to be a lateral before a pass can be thrown.  15 yards for first down (maybe twenty).  It is fun to watch and most importantly the players have a great time and the expense is much less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-man_football