1a/2a West Region Rankings Dec 18-Dec 31

Dick_Vitale

As promised, I am updating my rankings. Rather than having one Megathread I am just starting a new thread to contain just this weeks rankings. Might try and make this a weekly or bi weekly thing since it seems to be going well. Keeping it in the West Region too btw so tossing in those teams from central va. 

1A:

1-Radford- Lost to Mavahi but still a solid team. 

2-George Wythe-I have not seen them play yet but they return a lot from last year. 

3-Eastside-Knocked off Union in a great game. They really clicked well with solid post play/perimeter play. 

4-Chilhowie-Beat Honaker in va high tourny but Honaker big man got hurt. 

5-Honaker -Hopefully the big man is okay (went down with a knee injury). With him they are not a bad team. I could see them knocking off both Chilhowie and Eastside with a healthy team. 

2A:

1-Gate City-They are the real deal this year. Hammered every team they have played thus far. 

2-Martinsville They lost a large portion of their team last year. Sure they are the defending state champions but they does not win them a ticket as the #1 seed because of what they did last year. They are 4-1 according to maxpreps and only losing to halifax which is a 5a school. 

3-Richlands-Big wins in a weak tourny this week. Struggled with Honaker but still managed to pull a win out. Literally hammered Happy Valley for the championship too. 

4-Chatham-Knocked off Dan River which is impressive. They lost to Randolph henry though which is concerning but a team ahve to come out of conference 38...

5-Union- I still feel Union in a top 5 team even with the loss to Eastside. The win against East is impressive. Still the loss to Tennessee High cannot bode well with the thought GC handled TN High easily. 

Union losing to TN High is troubling. For that alone I wouldn't have them in my Top 5.....instead maybe have Dan River or Graham.

I would swap Radford and GW around in 1A....but I've not seen either of them play to really know for sure. Seems about right though.

I think there is a huge drop off between Gate City and the rest off 2A west this year. Martinsville and Dan River are not near as strong, neither have the fire power as they have in recent years. I see GC with a straight shot to the final 4 with the other team coming from the 3 of Richlands, Graham or Union. Conf. 37-38 just don't have much this year. Mavahi will have at least 6-8 losses in the regular season, 2 each to Halifax, GW-Danville, and 6A Franklin Co and also RE Lee-Staunton and maybe at Radford this week if they are healthy. I have seen other Martinsville teams enter the post season with at or close to .500 record go on to win state, I just don't think this team will be one.

I think Martinsville and Dan River are both athletic enough to give GC all they want. I could see alot of people having Martinsville as their #1 team in the West right now and I wouldn't have any qualms with that at all. MHS might have several losses by the time the post season rolls around....but they will have faced a bunch of strong teams and be well seasoned. They are still the team to beat for all of 2A. GC is good...and they are improving in certain areas dramatically each game. The Devils will be tough to beat for anyone. (not including the power house teams in the Arbys)

Richlands and Graham I can both see giving GC some trouble as well. Richlands may end up being the toughest out....but you can never count out the GMen as they usually hustle harder than anyone.

However, I don't really see Union as being much trouble this year. Mitchell is gonna get his points and Slagle is gonna knock down some shots...but I just don't think they have the firepower I thought they would have before the season started.

Why Radford?

I got them 3rd or probably 4th in 1A west. I admit I have not seen them play this year. I personally think they lost a lot to graduation from their dominating team last year. I understand the injuries BUT they are currently 3-2. They beat Christiansburg twice, once in overtime. Christiansburg is 2-5. Radford with a full squad beat Christiansburg by 10. Abington's ONLY win this year is at Christiansburg by about the same margin of victory as Radford beat Christiansburg with a full squad. GW beat Abingdon by 36. Radford also beat Salem and lost to Salem. Salem is 2-6 with wins only against Christiansburg and Radford. Radford got beat pretty badly by Martinsville. And will likely be 3-3 on Tuesday.

2A

1. Gate City

2. Martinsville

3. Dan River

4. Richlands ( I saw them play Honaker without a couple bigs. I am a believer now... but I still like Graham)

5. Graham

Did anyone see both the Richalnds vs. Honaker Game and the Gate City vs. Knoxville Christian games? I would be interested in your thoughts in comparing the level of play and athletes in those two games?

Why Radford?

I got them 3rd or probably 4th in 1A west. I admit I have not seen them play this year. I personally think they lost a lot to graduation from their dominating team last year. I understand the injuries BUT they are currently 3-2. They beat Christiansburg twice, once in overtime. Christiansburg is 2-5. Radford with a full squad beat Christiansburg by 10. Abington's ONLY win this year is at Christiansburg by about the same margin of victory as Radford beat Christiansburg with a full squad. GW beat Abingdon by 36. Radford also beat Salem and lost to Salem. Salem is 2-6 with wins only against Christiansburg and Radford. Radford got beat pretty badly by Martinsville. And will likely be 3-3 on Tuesday.

2A

1. Gate City

2. Martinsville

3. Dan River

4. Richlands ( I saw them play Honaker without a couple bigs. I am a believer now... but I still like Graham)

5. Graham

Did anyone see both the Richalnds vs. Honaker Game and the Gate City vs. Knoxville Christian games? I would be interested in your thoughts in comparing the level of play and athletes in those two games?

I got Raddy at #1 bc their schedule is filled , currently, with 2a, 3a, and 4a schools. They have lost to Salem and Mavahi. I have not seen them play but plan on seeing them before Dec 31. I can them properly assess them. In the top 5 of 1A I have seen East, Chilhowie, and Honaker. I plan on seeing GW before Dec 31 as well to make my assessment. By Jan 1 I should have personally seen all teams in 1A that I find competitive. Anyone else got some teams not listed in top 5 from 1A that are solid... maybe in the eastern portion of the west region?

As for having Union in above Graham, Union has played a decent schedule up to this point. Losses to Eastside and TN High are tough but both solid teams. They did knock off Sully East. Graham has beat Va High and Tazewell... that is it. They really do not play anyone until Dec 28 against Bluefield. That will be a great measuring stick for Graham. Losing Cooper for Graham is a big blow to them IMO. With Cooper, they fight for a top 5 spot and could knock off RIchlands. I still feel like Carlock will have some nice game plan to throw Richlands for a loop. 

I again see your points. Radford is still playing bad teams regardless of the size of schools they play.

Abingdon is 3A and GW crushed them. GW has got to be a strong #1 at this points for me.

I know it was a scrimmage but Graham did beat Union head to head at Union.

I again see your points. Radford is still playing bad teams regardless of the size of schools they play.

Abingdon is 3A and GW crushed them. GW has got to be a strong #1 at this points for me.

I know it was a scrimmage but Graham did beat Union head to head at Union.

I understand where you are coming from. Abingdon is NOT a good team this year though. I have seen them play... Sure they are 3A but will probably finish 5th in that conference. The scrimmage argument is invalid. Who knows how it was played or how coaches played it. If I was coaching, I would be playing about every kid equally to see how they looked with different groups and such. People who put stock in scrimmages are probably the same people who put stock in being a bleacher coach...

I still have Raddy as the 1 in my rankings but GW is a solid back up in the 2 spot. In my personal rankings, a lot will go into how they do in there respective post Christmas tournaments. GW plays at UVA-Wise which is stacked with solid teams. GW will play Mount Mission B team in round one and if they win they play Richlands. That will be a solid measuring stick. Raddy played Carroll County in first round action in the Fort Chiswell Tourny. 

That's part of my point, Abingdon is NOT a good team but they beat the team you are giving Radford credit for beating. keep us posted if you can on the Wise tournament and others. I enjoy your insights. I am going to try to go the Arbys. Just better basketball. Disappointed in the Virginia local team turnout.

Mountain Mission B team is still solid. Carroll County is no Mountain Mission B team. Don't know if that is a fair comparison. If GW and Richalnds both losses to the MM B team there is still no shame in that.

That's part of my point, Abingdon is NOT a good team but they beat the team you are giving Radford credit for beating. keep us posted if you can on the Wise tournament and others. I enjoy your insights. I am going to try to go the Arbys. Just better basketball. Disappointed in the Virginia local team turnout.

Mountain Mission B team is still solid. Carroll County is no Mountain Mission B team. Don't know if that is a fair comparison. If GW and Richalnds both losses to the MM B team there is still no shame in that.

I see your point but I feel like this board has exhausted the transitive property. Just because Raddy and Atown beat Christiansburg by the same point total does not mean they are equal. Then tossing in the GW score is ludicrous. 

I can see your argument that they are the second best team in 1a west behind GW but they are not a 3 or 4. Like I said, Tourny's will tell us a lot IMO. 

Mt. Mission B team will be solid but they are not Oak Hill Red team good. ( both teams "jv" teams). Last year, MT. Mission loaded its b team with two varsity players to compete. Unsure who MM will bring with them this year. I notice they have a holiday tourny for the A team in NC that same time the Wise tourny is. Really a wild card as to who shows up for MM. If they stack like they did last year then GW and Richlands are in for a tough opponent. 

Also will keep you guys posted. I can understand wanting to go to the Arby's. I will probably head down myself for a day or two!

"I got Raddy at #1 bc their schedule is filled , currently, with 2a, 3a, and 4a schools."

I agree comparing scores and scrimmages are not a great indicators of success. But I submit it is better than giving teams credit just because they scheduled bigger teams that are not that good. At least Eastside beat Union your number 5 team in 2 A. sorry about the dead horse. Merry Christmas.

Sullivan East and Eastside

They played very well against Lebanon, beating a good team on the road. I'm not saying they do or don't deserve a spot, only that they are playing better and seem to be gelling.

Should Richland's and Union meet in tourney, we will see where Union stands in the area. I'm sure Graham is very good, but Union has the pieces to be a factor on the tier below GC.

They played very well against Lebanon, beating a good team on the road. I'm not saying they do or don't deserve a spot, only that they are playing better and seem to be gelling.

Should Richland's and Union meet in tourney, we will see where Union stands in the area. I'm sure Graham is very good, but Union has the pieces to be a factor on the tier below GC.

I have seen GC twice and Union twice... Once when they were literally lost on both offense and defense (Eastside) and when things were clicking (Sully East). Union is not staying within 20 points of GC this year... Guard play is miserable and they stack Slagle and Mitchell int he paint when teams are running zone. Graham plays hard and pressures you all night. They change up defense about every other possession which would have Moore spinning circles. 

The Richlands-Graham game on Jan 5th is going to be wild. Basically, bearing other losses, the loser of that game will travel to GC in the 1st round of the region tourny. That is assuming GC wins conference 40 and both Richlands/Graham run through a weak conference 39. 

I have seen GC twice and Union twice... Once when they were literally lost on both offense and defense (Eastside) and when things were clicking (Sully East). Union is not staying within 20 points of GC this year... Guard play is miserable and they stack Slagle and Mitchell int he paint when teams are running zone. Graham plays hard and pressures you all night. They change up defense about every other possession which would have Moore spinning circles.

The Richlands-Graham game on Jan 5th is going to be wild. Basically, bearing other losses, the loser of that game will travel to GC in the 1st round of the region tourny. That is assuming GC wins conference 40 and both Richlands/Graham run through a weak conference 39.

Which 2 Gate City games did you get the chance to see? I'm curious as to how GC looks in comparison to Graham and Richlands at this point in the season. I've not had the chance yet to see either of those two teams play this year.

Which 2 Gate City games did you get the chance to see? I'm curious as to how GC looks in comparison to Graham and Richlands at this point in the season. I've not had the chance yet to see either of those two teams play this year.

Gc is the best team I've seen in swva this year. Graham will give gc a more defensive scheme if they play while richlands will just run and and try to "out athlete" GC... not hapleneing. Richlands has some players that are great and are pretty deep as far as bench goes. Neither richlands or graham have anything to match gc. I think out of union, gc, and graham, graham has the best chance to give gc a run for their money only because graham has a big man that's decent.

Sorry for the format, I am on a mobile device.

GC will just have to play smart against a team that has a dominant big man. They got in the heads of the two big men for Knox Christian and then drew several charges on those guys. That will be the only way they can nullify the presence of a dominant post player....Get him in foul trouble.

GC will just have to play smart against a team that has a dominant big man. They got in the heads of the two big men for Knox Christian and then drew several charges on those guys. That will be the only way they can nullify the presence of a dominant post player....Get him in foul trouble.

Graham's big man is average at best. Maybe barely above average. He plays aggressive and I could see him getting j to foul trouble with the right team slashing the lane like GC