Mountain District: Friday 1/27

Leatherhead Larry

Lotsssss of missed layups/putbacks and no rebounding at all. The Devils will have to step up their play. They run that motion offense but no one truly is looking for the ball when they are making cuts to the bucket....Just running through the motions with no purpose. When GC does decide to make great basket cuts and sharp passes they get wide open layups. Seen it a couple times tonight and it was a thing of beauty.

That isolation style of play works for GC but it really is a cheap version of how good GC really could be with a different offense. It's all dribble drive with contested layups or deep 3s. Would like to see a little something different from the Devils. (Mac does well with this offense obviously)

I did think that Warner did a good job tonight in place of Scotty. He was chewing on the guys for not rebounding....Heard him several times screaming to box out and get the ball. Maybe a few chewings will resonate with the boys. On a couple occasions I seen 3-4 players watch the ball land in the paint after Central shot the ball and no one went after the rebound thinking someone else was gonna get it. Central grabs it and gets the easy layups. That stuff can't happen! I'm still convinced GCs best rebounders are backups in Sharpe and George. Those guys go after the ball when they are in.

Union handled Lee, 76-39, lost of different kids seeing the floor and Slage pacing the Bears w 25. Mitchell had 10 with ~8 boards and ~8 dimes. He had a tremendous dunk on an oop from Jenkins, he went WAY up to snatch it one handedly.

Something is going to have to be done about the crowds. WAY too many people in the gym. People standing in the hall outside the gym looking in. People seated in the aisles.

I personally love it. I hope we keep packing the gym more and more. We should want as many people packed in there like sardines as we can get.

Maybe I'm different. I'm not the kind of person who cares to rub elbows or even stand on the baseline if I must.

I hope GC is standing room only the rest of the year. I love the atmosphere! Heard several older individuals last night say in all the years they've watched GC bball they've never seen crowds like the past 2 home games. Hope a bigger crowd comes tonight to help support the Delanos and the other family in need.

I was one standing along the baseline Friday night as well.  GC does need to be careful about it and I am sure they are trying to just in case of an emergency.  I was informed Friday by a source not to expect a great game from them going into it.  With Scotty being out and etc they hadnt been shooting or practicing well.  If you are going to go into a bit of a funk, its better to now than in a few weeks so that you have time to recover.

I'm concerned about Scotty. He started holding his head towards the end of the game last night and turned the duties over to Warner for the rest of the game. I'm not sure what's going on with Scotty but I hope he can get it straightened out. You can tell something just ain't right.

I just hate the fact that this team plays to the level of their competition. We haven't been the same since Ervin was sick and Dean hurt his wrist. It seemed to knock us out of timing. We need to finish the regular season out strong heading into tournament time. I rather not split with Union to force a tiebreaker with them.

Yea Scotty doesn't seem well on the sidelines at all. He looks wore out all the time....Hollow eyed and looks like someone that hasn't had any rest in quite a while.

GC has played to their level of competition almost all year long other than maybe a game or two. If GC had a true big man to rely on I think it would help bring them out of the funk they seem to get in with the sloppy offense and no movement. I noticed George was establishing good position in the post the other night. Zac spotted him open a few times and fed him the ball. Even if George doesn't contribute on the scoring end that much (he's capable of doing it) he could still allow GC to have a better inside out game allowing us to take better 3 pt shots. A lack of a post presence is glaring. It didn't seem to be a big issue against Knox Christian....But ever since it has been. The games at GC against Knox Christian and Boone were the best games I've seen GC play this year and it's not even close.