Mountain District: Friday 1/27

Leatherhead Larry

Gate City 85 Central 49:

I totally expect Gate City to take out some residual frustration on the Dirty Warriors from the last meeting. McClung is going to throw down some exclamation point dunks, even though "Hitman McA**s" has a bounty on McClung. McClung scores a game high 30 points with Ervin close behind.

John Battle 66 Ridgeview 52:

I'm not so sure why and how this game was even as close as it was in the first meeting, I look for Battle to continue to find ways to win. Felty continues his impressive season and leads the Trojans to victory. They better enjoy the win Friday, back to back losses will more than likely follow.

Union 71 Lee High 45:

This will be Union's 3rd game in 4 days. I don't really see it being too big of an issue. Union would need to go ice cold and Lee High's Stewart and Pennington stay on fire all 4 quarters, which I doubt. Slagle with another 25+ point night to lead all scorers with Mitchell adding around 12-15 of his own.

GC 77-53. McClung, Ervin, and Dean light it up against the Warriors at home.

Battle 71-52. The Trojans pull away in the 2nd half to win comfortably.

Union 67-40. Slagle dominates and Mitchell adds a solid 12-16 pts and has a bunch of rebounds.

union beat burton 66 62. union played like they didn't wanna be there in the first half. burton scored at will in the paint in the first haf. score was 40 27 burton at the half. I wish zack would use his bench more.

Has Burton got a decent team at all? I haven't even seen how they were doing this year. I'm gonna guess Union just didn't show up to play

They're ranked in the top 10 of 1A. Not a bad team by any stretch.

No need in creating another thread for it, but Ridgeview hosts Lebanon tomorrow night. Ridgeview defeated Lebanon at the UVa-Wise tournament, but from what I heard, Lebanon was playing with a couple of key players out, so will probably be much tougher tomorrow night on the Ridge.

Good info on Union v Burton above. It was obvious Burton REALLY wanted to beat Union tonight and Union played the worst half of basketball I have seen all season. Mitchell took over the 2nd half and Burton kinda folded. Union has to play better defense if they are going to have a chance to advance. And I totally agree with the above comment about using the bench. I have said it all season, we have way to much talent that never takes their warmups off.

games like tonite woulda been a good chance to use that bench. first 5 min in I woulda sat all 5 starters for at least rest of 1st qtr to get there attention. we could go at least 4 deep on the bench without a significant drop off imo. those kids can play but for whatever reason don't get any min. but I guess when your 13 3 you cant argue too much. we are winning. ijus think down the road we will need those guys and they wont be prepared.

games like tonite woulda been a good chance to use that bench. first 5 min in I woulda sat all 5 starters for at least rest of 1st qtr to get there attention. we could go at least 4 deep on the bench without a significant drop off imo. those kids can play but for whatever reason don't get any min. but I guess when your 13 3 you cant argue too much. we are winning. ijus think down the road we will need those guys and they wont be prepared.

I don't see it, but different strokes. I don't think the bench at Union has the talent or experience to be counted on in close games against good teams. The bench has not shown much of anything after the first two subs and even so, the shooter is very hit or miss and doesnt have much size and isn't a great ballhandler. The rotation of Garrison/Jenkins/Back/James/Wes/Sherritt seems very solid to me.

Hopefully Scotty will be on the sidelines tomorrow night. He was taken to the hospital over chest pains yesterday...tests came back good and they've sent him home now. I guess all the red faced, vein-popping antics on the sidelines might have got the best of him as of lately. Prayers for Scotty...Hope it's nothing more than a lil stress/anxiety.

Crowd tonight at GC was as packed or maybe worse than it was for the Union game. Wasn't expecting to be standing room only at 6:15....even if it was homecoming night.

Another win for the Devils but the rebounding was non-existent again and the FTs went south as well. Ervin was cold from deep and so was Dean until the 4th when he sunk back to back 3s to stretch out what was only a 9 pt game. Wise fought hard and crashed the offensive boards and McAmis and Mullins both had a good game. McClung had an outstanding game and Ervin still had 20 even being cold from the Arc.

Just keep winning boys! Rather have a sloppy win as a hard fought loss any day

Yea I wasn't expecting to be told I wouldnt be able to sit at the game.

That's interesting. I guess they are expecting the crowd to be way more than Union can hold. It's gonna be an interesting game. GC needs to play a few touches better than they did tonight.

I went to tonight's game at GC. Looked sloppy to me and Central hit some shots to keep it interesting. Not sure how many point blank shots GC missed tonight.

Very sloppy. GC missed several shots they shouldn't, mainly down low. But WC was getting away with a lot of contact early on in the game. Just seemed to be a lacking something tonight. All in all we'll take the win. I think Warner did a great job with the HC duties tonight. Maybe GC's downside of offensive explosion is due to the team being out of sorts with Scotty being under the weather and having them side tracked a little bit this week? But overall I feel Warner did a fine job in place of Scotty tonight.