Lee @ Gate City

fb-fan24263

5 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

You made the statement there Einstein. You quoted me and said GC had a better winning percentage than the team I root for, which is inaccurate. You brought it up unsolicited and then were proven wrong. That would drive me nuts, but again I'm not sure we're the same species.

Well, yea, we do.  I love the namecalling.  Like you lesser winning percentage fans eluded to in Shoemaker, I felt the need to throw in Powell Valley and Union after 1956.  Gate City comes out on top, because Union and Powell Valley-Appy are the same.  They were around since the 50's in PV and Appy.  The Gate gets the nod.

1 minute ago, TTownTigers said:

Ahhhh, there it is.  There's that UVA education.  You end the post with a name called (because you've lost and are angry), and then try to cover research, in which it's obvious that a 5 or 6 year sample of a higher winning percentage is totally easy to come by.  I think you know that though.  Either way, the Gate is still Great, and we will be back.  

Again, a pop culture reference that went over your head.

Is the Gate great? They will be back? Did you guys get a new coach? & if you did, or will in the future, it doesn't mean he will be a good coach or know X's & O's in 2 years. Someone that spews a lot of "facts" told me that once. 

Good point and finally, finally, you actually make a valid point worth responding to.  Therefore, I will.  The difference in Gate City and Tazewell's coaching is history my friend.  We have a history of success in that area.  Tazewell has a rough history in that area.  Remember now, you just brought up the coaching thing.  Remember?  Oh yea, to kind of turn it back around at ya....."lets don't bring it up because the kids don't need to hear it."  LMAO.  What did you just do?  You brought it up.  Yes, very subtle, but you did bring it up.  I certainly finished.  to answer your other question, Gate City is great right now and will be much better next year.  I don't know if I should say, "back."  You have to truly be down.  Tazewell is the definition of that having not won in 25 years or so.  Gate City won a title just a few years ago.  We are having a bad season, but never really are we "down."  At least, not in our lifetimes.

10 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Well, yea, we do.  I love the namecalling.  Like you lesser winning percentage fans eluded to in Shoemaker, I felt the need to throw in Powell Valley and Union after 1956.  Gate City comes out on top, because Union and Powell Valley-Appy are the same.  They were around since the 50's in PV and Appy.  The Gate gets the nod.

Oh so we're combining now? Then I have more wins, again disproving a statement you made. Keep digging hombre.

2 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Oh so we're combining now? Then I have more wins, again disproving a statement you made. Keep digging hombre.

No you don't.  Not when you add the two and split the difference.  You actually don't have more wins.  Keep "digging hombre"?  What does that even mean.  I'm going to take it as a compliment and follow it up by saying.....a great player for the Gate was once named "hombre" and he ran rufshed over your team in route to a victory.  Since you brought up the "digging hombre" statement.  I felt I should at least try to provide something on it.  Go Gate.  Lee High 34- Gate City 17, and the Gate keeps it closer than most think.  I'm not digging.  I'm winning.  Afterall, I'm the GC fan, you are not.

No you don't.  Not when you add the two and split the difference.  You actually don't have more wins.  Keep "digging hombre"?  What does that even mean.  I'm going to take it as a compliment and follow it up by saying.....a great player for the Gate was once named "hombre" and he ran rufshed over your team in route to a victory.  Since you brought up the "digging hombre" statement.  I felt I should at least try to provide something on it.  Go Gate.  Lee High 34- Gate City 17, and the Gate keeps it closer than most think.  I'm not digging.  I'm winning.  Afterall, I'm the GC fan, you are not.

You said wins AND winning percentage. Do I need to requote your post? You said I can't use Union to prove your point wrong on winning percentage because you have to add in Appy and PV as well, well then if that's the case then your statement about wins is incorrect because the combined schools have more wins than GC. You made the claims when quoting me broseph, no need to get pissy when I dispute the fake news! 

And all I called you was Einstein, or Henry Melville. What's wrong with being compared to beloved historical figures that made amazing strides in their fields?

9 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Good point and finally, finally, you actually make a valid point worth responding to.  Therefore, I will.  The difference in Gate City and Tazewell's coaching is history my friend.  We have a history of success in that area.  Tazewell has a rough history in that area.  Remember now, you just brought up the coaching thing.  Remember?  Oh yea, to kind of turn it back around at ya....."lets don't bring it up because the kids don't need to hear it."  LMAO.  What did you just do?  You brought it up.  Yes, very subtle, but you did bring it up.  I certainly finished.  to answer your other question, Gate City is great right now and will be much better next year.  I don't know if I should say, "back."  You have to truly be down.  Tazewell is the definition of that having not won in 25 years or so.  Gate City won a title just a few years ago.  We are having a bad season, but never really are we "down."  At least, not in our lifetimes.

What makes you say Gate City will be much better next year? Right now you have the same coaching staff there that has seemed to have lost control of the program. Are you playing the "can't get any worse card"? 

& Wait, 0-7 is great? Hell, I didn't realize until now that I played on some all time great teams at Pocahontas. We even won 4 games one year so we were 400% better than great! Thanks for clearing that up! 

Just now, BigWinners said:

You said wins AND winning percentage. Do I need to requote your post? You said I can't use Union to prove your point wrong on winning percentage because you have to add in Appy and PV as well, well then if that's the case then your statement about wins is incorrect because the combined schools have more wins than GC. You made the claims when quoting me broseph, no need to get pissy when I dispute the fake news! 

And all I called you was Einstein, or Henry Melville. What's wrong with being compared to beloved historical figures that made amazing strides in their fields?

Like I wrote, add PV and Appy and divide by two, and the might Gate comes out on top and gets you!    For the 3rd time I've clarified that for you.  Wish to make it a fourth?  Gate City has more wins than either school, whether it's PV or Appy.  I think your frustrated and that's ok.  I respect that.  I respect your opinions, but disagree.  Remember, when one reverts to name-calling, that's the tail-tail sign that...."I've gotcha."  The interesting thing about this thread..........a classy GC fan who has not called anyone one name or made any personal attack.  I debate the issues, wins, percentages, who we think GC could beat (as one poster in the thread asked) and of course, the GC vs Lee game thoughts.  That's class my friend.  That's the difference.  Either way, back on track again and redirecting......Lee High 34-Gate City 17.

5 minutes ago, EH31 said:

What makes you say Gate City will be much better next year? Right now you have the same coaching staff there that has seemed to have lost control of the program. Are you playing the "can't get any worse card"? 

& Wait, 0-7 is great? Hell, I didn't realize until now that I played on some all time great teams at Pocahontas. We even won 4 games one year so we were 400% better than great! Thanks for clearing that up! 

Question one. What makes me say GC will be better?  What do you think the answer is?  What did I tell you a while back on this board?  WE aren't Tazewell.  We learn quickly and I suspect a different staff.  Not necessarily the Head Coach being gone, but many, many changes at the coordinator and AD positions, plus we are very young..  Question 2.  The "can't get worse card."  I don't play cards.  As for question 3, be it the comment or insult about 0-7 and still great.  We are great because we are Gate City.  The two are the same in my opinion regardless of any record on one give year.  You played where?  Pocahontas?  What the he** is a Pocahontas?  That one did fly over my head.  You are from the Richmond area I suppose?  Well, great football played out that way also.  

3 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Like I wrote, add PV and Appy and divide by two, and the might Gate comes out on top and gets you!    For the 3rd time I've clarified that for you.  Wish to make it a fourth?  Gate City has more wins than either school, whether it's PV or Appy.  I think your frustrated and that's ok.  I respect that.  I respect your opinions, but disagree.  Remember, when one reverts to name-calling, that's the tail-tail sign that...."I've gotcha."  The interesting thing about this thread..........a classy GC fan who has not called anyone one name or made any personal attack.  I debate the issues, wins, percentages, who we think GC could beat (as one poster in the thread asked) and of course, the GC vs Lee game thoughts.  That's class my friend.  That's the difference.  Either way, back on track again and redirecting......Lee High 34-Gate City 17.

I'm frustrated because you cant make up your mind! PV has been closed for seven seasons now, and I have family at Union so I root for them. You quoted me saying your school has a better win % than the one for which I cheer, which I simply showed you was wrong. You just can't admit it. Then you move the goal posts, I show you the error of your ways, and you do Jedi mind tricks to convince yourself you were right.

What's the underlying issue TTT? Did someone steal your favorite GI Joe as a child? Did your primary school crush check No on the 'Do You Like Me Yes or No?' note? I'll be your therapist, I'm just here to help.

10 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

You all are talking about winning percentage a lot.  But let's talk about end result.  State Titles!  You said add them together and divide by two.  Pv has 8 and Appy has 6.  That's 14.  Divide by 2 and that's an average of 7, two more than GC.  And lets not forget that PV and Appy have been closed for 6 years, this being the seventh.  I'm a little biased on the matter.  But numbers are numbers. 

Lee 42 GC 0

Question one. What makes me say GC will be better?  What do you think the answer is?  What did I tell you a while back on this board.  WE aren't Tazewell.  We learn quickly and I suspect a different staff.  Not necessarily the Head Coach being gone, but many, many changes at the coordinator and AD positions.  Question 2.  The "can't get worse card."  I don't play cards.  As for question 3, be it the comment or insult about 0-7 and still great.  We are great because we are Gate City.  The two are the same in my opinion regardless of any record on one give year.  You played where?  Pocahontas?  What the he** is a Pocahontas?  That one did fly over my head.  You are from the Richmond area I suppose?  Well, great football played out that way also.  

For all the "facts" you claim to have you just answered my question with a homer bias. Tazewell's stay at the bottom has had a lot to do with coaching and administrative problems which has been the same over the last few years at GC, per reasonable GC posters. But GC has a recent state championship, and a little more than 500 wins in the programs history! Wow! You say you don't play cards but you keep pulling out that trump card. 

0-7 isn't great. Keep your history, I'll live in 2017 where Gate City is getting worse every week with no end in sight. That's a fact. 

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I'm frustrated because you cant make up your mind! PV has been closed for seven seasons now, and I have family at Union so I root for them. You quoted me saying your school has a better win % than the one for which I cheer, which I simply showed you was wrong. You just can't admit it. Then you move the goal posts, I show you the error of your ways, and you do Jedi mind tricks to convince yourself you were right.

What's the underlying issue TTT? Did someone steal your favorite GI Joe as a child? Did your primary school crush check No on the 'Do You Like Me Yes or No?' note? I'll be your therapist, I'm just here to help.

See, there you go BigWinners.  A half-way decent, cogent, well-formed argument in paragraph one, then boom.....just the irresistible urge to try to finish with a personal attack?  Why man?  Why the inability to simply make your argument and let it stand on its own merit?  But, being a common sense guy, let me repeat.   Union is PV and Appy as far as I'm concerned and I'm not moving any goalposts (wish I could for my team this year though).   As for GI Joe, I don't know.  I was playing football and preparing for "Pocohontas."  No, on a serious note, I was busy WINNING over P. Valley and the rest.  I got it at Lee High 34, Gate City 17.  Lee finally gets us this year.

11 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

You played where?  Pocahontas?  What the he** is a Pocahontas?  That one did fly over my head.  You are from the Richmond area I suppose?  Well, great football played out that way also.  

Uhhhhh. Are you serious right now or being sarcastic?

2 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

You all are talking about winning percentage a lot.  But let's talk about end result.  State Titles!  You said add them together and divide by two.  Pv has 8 and Appy has 6.  That's 14.  Divide by 2 and that's an average of 7, two more than GC.  And lets not forget that PV and Appy have been closed for 6 years, this being the seventh.  I'm a little biased on the matter.  But numbers are numbers. 

Lee 42 GC 0

Very nice.  Even if you are biased on the matter, so am I as a GC fan.  I respect your post.  I never argued state titles and titles certainly are worthy of any discussion as at least one of the formulas for a great program.  No argument with you on titles.  

Just now, TTownTigers said:

I'm dead serious.  I don't know what the he** he's talking about when he said he played there.  I'm assuming it's near Williamsburg/Richmond/Jamestown.  I know the movie.

Pocahontas was the 4th Tazewell County school until (I believe) 2005. It's just NW of Bluefield, VA. 

4 minutes ago, EH31 said:

For all the "facts" you claim to have you just answered my question with a homer bias. Tazewell's stay at the bottom has had a lot to do with coaching and administrative problems which has been the same over the last few years at GC, per reasonable GC posters. But GC has a recent state championship, and a little more than 500 wins in the programs history! Wow! You say you don't play cards but you keep pulling out that trump card. 

0-7 isn't great. Keep your history, I'll live in 2017 where Gate City is getting worse every week with no end in sight. That's a fact. 

LOL, and you ask me a question and why I feel a certain way, then you get an answer, and get mad at the answer?  LOL.  Ok, you don't like the answer, but that's the answer.  It has NOT been the same over the last few years at GC in my opinion.  Those are your words on that part.  I think this year is a coaching issue and largely do to the AD coming "into his own".  The past few years, we were fine and were simply down some, but were well coached.  We simply got beat.  We would have rebounded and been fine in the coaching area.  Only my opinion.  As for Tazewell..........I don't care.  I don't care about Tazewell.  I care about Gate City.  If asked about Tazewell or who I think GC could beat in a list of AA teams in SWVA, I do think we have a shot at Tazewell this year.  

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Pocahontas was the 4th Tazewell County school until (I believe) 2005. It's just NW of Bluefield, VA. 

I am vague on Pocahontas.  Thought it was a small school in the Richmond-Williamsburg area.  Never heard of it.  Did they even play football there or was it like Council, only having basketball?  In all my years playing in my youth and High School Ball at Gate City, I've never seen a Pocahontas clip or score or anything.  I would only read the Bristol paper so maybe they didn't cover them.

Just now, TTownTigers said:

I am vague on Pocahontas.  Thought it was a small school in the Richmond-Williamsburg area.  Never heard of it.  Did they even play football there or was it like Council, only having basketball.  In all my years playing in my youth and High School Ball at Gate City, I've never seen a Pocahontas clip or score or anything.  I would only read the Bristol paper so maybe they didn't cover them.

@EH31 just told you he played there. That should give you a context clue that they did, in fact, play football. They were just small. A very small single A school

No, it absolutely did NOT give me a "context clue" that he played there because I don't trust name-callers very much.   I suspected he played football somewhere in SWVA and when he said that, I thought he was being facetious.  Nothing wrong with being small and single A.  Ask the former Appy fans.   Powerful bunch.  I lived 3 of my 4 years while in HS at GC on the Tennessee side, and I just don't have the knowledge of the furthest portion of each county 2 hours or more away from me.  

3 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

No, it absolutely did NOT give me a "context clue" that he played there because I don't trust name-callers very much.   I suspected he played football somewhere in SWVA and when he said that, I thought he was being facetious.  Nothing wrong with being small and single A.  Ask the former Appy fans.   Powerful bunch.  I lived 3 of my 4 years at GC on the Tennessee side, and I just don't have the knowledge of the farthest portion of each county 2 hours or more away from me.  

How does, "Hell, I didn't realize until now that I played on some all time great teams at Pocahontas." not give you a clue that he actually played the sport...

12 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

@EH31 just told you he played there. That should give you a context clue that they did, in fact, play football. They were just small. A very small single A school

Smallest school in the state at the time to field a varsity program. Had some rough years but was a strong team in the late 80's & early 90's. Had a couple playoff teams in the late 90's too with a district championship. Were 4-6 & 3-7 in '07 & '08, the last two years of the school. Was bringing back a team that could've/should've won 5-7 games the next year and possibly competed for the MED championship (that was a VERY down year for the MED) had the school not been closed.