Lee @ Gate City

fb-fan24263

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

How does, "Hell, I didn't realize until now that I played on some all time great teams at Pocahontas." not give you a clue that he actually played the sport...

Because I don't believe anything the guys says after he name-calls for about 10 straight posts.  I had Never heard of "Pocahontas."  I thought he was directly lying to me because I would have heard of it, if it were in Southwestern Virginia.  Evidently, there was a school in Southwestern Virginia that I had never heard of. 

Just now, TTownTigers said:

Because I don't believe anything the guys says after he name-calls for about 10 straight posts.  I had Never heard of "Pocahontas."  I thought he was directly lying to me because I would have heard of it, if it were in Southwestern Virginia.  Evidently, there was a school in Southwestern Virginia that I had never heard of. 

Wait...you don't know everything? lol

1 minute ago, EH31 said:

Smallest school in the state at the time to field a varsity program. Had some rough years but was a strong team in the late 80's & early 90's. Had a couple playoff teams in the late 90's too with a district championship. We're 4-6 & 3-7 in '07 & '08, the last two years of the school. Was bringing back a team that could've/should've won 5-7 games the next year had the school not been closed. 

Where did the kids go in Tazewell County?  Richlands, Graham, Tazewell?  Where's it closest to?

1 minute ago, TTownTigers said:

Where did the kids go in Tazewell County?  Richlands, Graham, Tazewell?  Where's it closest to?

It's closest to Graham (hence me saying, "it's just NW of Bluefield, VA"), but I think plenty of kids (EH31 included) went to Tazewell.

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

Wait...you don't know everything? lol

Never claimed to.  My wife reminds me of that everyday.  I only claim to know one thing.  I love Gate City football and rabidly defend it.  You see, if one is "portrayed" as "knowing everything", then it's easier to attempt to tear them down.  I know Gate City football, family, and moving coal.  Those 3, I do almost everything about.  Other than that.....not much.  But....I got opinions and if asked, will give them.  

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

It's closest to Graham (hence me saying, "it's just NW of Bluefield, VA"), but I think plenty of kids (EH31 included) went to Tazewell.

Ahhh, closest to Graham, but went to Tazewell.  That makes no sense in one regard unless the driving time is closer to Tazewell, and it makes perfect sense in another regard as to EH31 and Tazewell love.  Now I understanding why he is so sensitive with the Bulldogs.  Makes sense.  I respect that. 

At the time of consolidation about 90% chose to go to Tazewell. I'd venture to say that it's almost flipped now with probably at least 80-85% going to Graham. 

You should read up about Pocahontas. The coal mined from that town did more that you could ever imagine for this area. Plus it helped to win WW2

Ahhh, closest to Graham, but went to Tazewell.  That makes no sense in one regard unless the driving time is closer to Tazewell, and it makes perfect sense in another regard as to EH31 and Tazewell love.  Now I understanding why he is so sensitive with the Bulldogs.  Makes sense.  I respect that. 

He's said on here plenty of times before that he's not a supporter of Tazewell. He's going to come on the Podcast soon and give an even better account of being in school when your school shuts down and how you deal with that and how you choose where to go. 

Just now, EH31 said:

At the time of consolidation about 90% chose to go to Tazewell. I'd venture to say that it's almost flipped now with probably at least 80-85% going to Graham. 

You should read up about Pocahontas. The coal mined from that town did more that you could ever imagine for this area. Plus it helped to win WW2

That I will do.  I've read much about Saltville and had ancestors fight in that battle during the Civil War.  Also, I'm still partial to the old Shakers of Saltville which no longer exists of course, but I still pay attention to Northwood because we had a special coach down this way that put in some time up at Worthy High many, many moons ago.

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

He's said on here plenty of times before that he's not a supporter of Tazewell. He's going to come on the Podcast soon and give an even better account of being in school when your school shuts down and how you deal with that and how you choose where to go. 

Yes, he has said on here plenty of times before that he's not a supporter of Tazewell.  What makes it interesting is when you write about 4 posts ago the words, "but I think plenty of kids (EH31 included) went to Tazewell."  It seems to me that one would support their school, or the one they attended.  Me not supporting Gate City would be freaking blaspheme. 

Yes, he has said on here plenty of times before that he's not a supporter of Tazewell.  What makes it interesting is when you write about 4 posts ago the words, "but I think plenty of kids (EH31 included) went to Tazewell."  It seems to me that one would support their school, or the one they attended.  Me not supporting Gate City would be freaking blaspheme. 

Did you go to a school that shut down and then you finished your last year at Gate City? No. He wasn't born and raised in Tazewell. He had to choose one county school over two others to decide where to finish up. If you asked him what he is, I'd put some money on it that he would reply he's a Indian. 

A lot of factors went into choosing Tazewell over Graham, but the main one was our coach was sent to teach/coach at Tazewell. I went there for my senior year. We beat Gate City that year, btw. Tighlee(sp) Anderson was a heck of an athlete. What happened to him?

I enoyed my one year at Tazewell but my home will always be Pocahontas. I don't have anything to do with Tazewell now. I denounced them on this forum a couple years ago if you wanna search for it. I'd like for them to have success now that I feel like the kids are putting in the effort and there's still one coach on the staff that I really respect but now I live in the Bluefield area and my kids are going to Graham. Me and my boy are at every graham game & we support the G-Men because that's 100% his team. 

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

Did you go to a school that shut down and then you finished your last year at Gate City? No. He wasn't born and raised in Tazewell. He had to choose one county school over two others to decide where to finish up. If you asked him what he is, I'd put some money on it that he would reply he's a Indian. 

Good question and a pretty solid answer as well.  I would be loyal to BOTH.  I would be a Pocahontas guy and a Tazewell guy.  I can tell you this, I wasn't a Sullivan County guy even though I lived there while in HS at GC.  But, this is just my take.  I respect whatever decision a person makes as to who they support in that situation.  It's their call.  It's their life.  I have my opinion only, just as others have theirs.

3 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

What if Gate City was taken from you after 12 years of going there and you were forced to attend another school? Not a new school but forced to join an existing school that had been open 50+ years? 

Just now, EH31 said:

What if Gate City was taken from you after 12 years of going there and you were forced to attend another school? Not a new school but forced to join an existing school that had been open 50+ years? 

I just told you.  I would be a Gate City guy, and lets say I went to school my senior year of High School at Rye Cove or Twin Springs, then I would also be a Rye Cove or Twin Springs guy.  Just my take on it.

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

This. You beat me to it. 

I enjoyed my season at Tazewell and most everyone there was more than welcoming but it's not like I would've transferred there had Pocahontas still been open. I'm sure Peyton Manning enjoyed his time with the broncos once he didn't have a chance to come back to the colts, but there's no doubt he'll always be a colt. 

Just now, EH31 said:

This. You beat me to it. 

I enjoyed my season at Tazewell and most everyone there was more than welcoming but it's not like I would've transferred there had Pocahontas still been open. I'm sure Peyton Manning enjoyed his time with the broncos once he didn't have a chance to come back to the colts, but there's no doubt he'll always be a colt. 

Very relevant comparison that is near to my heart lol

2 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Good question and a pretty solid answer as well.  I would be loyal to BOTH.  I would be a Pocahontas guy and a Tazewell guy.  I can tell you this, I wasn't a Sullivan County guy even though I lived there while in HS at GC.  But, this is just my take.  I respect whatever decision a person makes as to who they support in that situation.  It's their call.  It's their life.  I have my opinion only, just as others have theirs.

Nothing wrong with being loyal to both.  Personal factors need to be taken into account.  I went to Hopewell High through 9th grade.  Then we moved back to Appy where I was born and my parents went.  My little league teammate is Hopewell's HC and I follow them closely.  I've lived in Wise for 20 years.  Supported JJK and Central as my kids went there.  Then things happen.  Like my son being told to put a certain D1 prospect into the wall if he tries to dunk.  And when he does as he was told, the coach and administration suspends him for the next game to save face and deny telling the team to do so.  Now my son drives 11 miles past Central to Union.  We are back "home".  And they love it! 

Long story short, all a matter of personal preference and life experiences I think.

3 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I believe that would have been 2008, 30-20 or 28-17 in favor of Tazewell.  My nephew was on that GC team.  It was his sophomore year.  

2008 season. It was 29-19. Pretty odd score for a game 

1 minute ago, EH31 said:

2008 season. It was 29-19. Pretty odd score for a game 

Watched Tazewell twice that year.  Against GC in which Tazewell outplayed the Gate worse than final score in my opinion.  I watched the Bulldogs lose to Richlands in the playoffs later that year in a game in which I thought the Bulldogs should have won and actually outplayed the Blues in.

Watched Tazewell twice that year.  Against GC in which Tazewell outplayed the Gate worse than final score in my opinion.  I watched the Bulldogs lose to Richlands in the playoffs later that year in a game in which I thought the Bulldogs should have won and actually outplayed the Blues in.

They were the better team that year, 100%. Should have beaten Richlands in that playoff game. But neither Richlands nor Tazewell had anything for Brookville and Logan Thomas the next week.

5 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Shhhh. We don't speak of that game.