Wise central s stadium

jarhead24219

We are told that the cost for Centrals stadium cost was 2 million dollars covered by a donation. Carl Smith stadium cost 2.6 million in 1997? That was for grade work and turf, no lights ,stands, or press box , or field house. My question to the Richlands folks and Honaker, Ridgeveiw is what kind of price tag do you have involved in your fields??? 2 million seems low do to the cost of track, stands and other buildings at Central

8 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

We are told that the cost for Centrals stadium cost was 2 million dollars covered by a donation. Carl Smith stadium cost 2.6 million in 1997? That was for grade work and turf, no lights ,stands, or press box , or field house. My question to the Richlands folks and Honaker, Ridgeveiw is what kind of price tag do you have involved in your fields??? 2 million seems low do to the cost of track, stands and other buildings at Central

It's been a decade since the turf was installed at Richlands, but I think it was around 1 million for the turf installation alone. Honaker has the same turf, so I'd assume it's the same. Richlands also upgraded the scoreboard and lights around the same time, and built the field house. Not sure what it all came out to, but I'd assume it was over 2 million and most of it was donations. 

31 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

There's no way you could build Central's stadium for 2 million. 

38 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I sure hope you get to the bottom of this!

Here is my thing, Appalachia elementary closed due to budget, my son has CP and is bused 12 miles each way because they say the Union HS is not st up for him???really I thought ALL new schools  have to be handicap compliant. The Americans with disabilities act states that a child Shall be educated inside his own community and have an equal education and not be discriminated against for such disabilities. It is my belief Wise county has a shortage of funds due to Centrals  field and tennis courts, 

5 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Here is my thing, Appalachia elementary closed due to budget, my son has CP and is bused 12 miles each way because they say the Union HS is not st up for him???really I thought ALL new schools  have to be handicap compliant. The Americans with disabilities act states that a child Shaw be educated inside his own community and have an equal education and not be discriminated against for such disabilities. It is my belief Wise county has a shortage of funds due to Centrals  field and tennis courts, 

Curious, where does your son go then? Since Union and Central have the same floor plan I am guessing Eastside? 

You have got to be kidding me... Tennis/Football field drained the funds? lol come on man. Literally, in the article, it explains where that money comes from. Donors that were named and the Board of Supervisors. 

6 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I have also heard that there is a county swimming pool planned....guess where, no Virginia it's not at Eastside

if there is a shortage of funds why are they building a pool?

11 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

It was my understanding that Tommy McAmis donated all of the heavy equipment to be used on both projects, this saving cost. He’s good for donations like that. This is info as I understand it. That’s all the defending I will do for central.

As for your son having to be bused away due to his special needs...that sucks. I was for consolidating the schools to ensure a better learning environment for our kids. But I feel like it wasn’t done properly and was rushed. Sorry your son is going through that. Not cool. 

2.6 was for turf, grading, making the surface playable, nothing else included at CARL SMITH , UVA WISE in 1997(todays numbers over 3million), yes they said it was all donations, ok but WCSB still had to kick in $200,000 at least, ITS KINDA A PRINCIPLE THING TO ME,we have let our leaders lie to us for years and we just accept it. The elementry kids in APPALACHIA are bused to UNION now and are doing fine.I just felt like someone was rolling a dog turd in powderd sugar and telling me it was a donut. Just wanted to confirm the bs price tag through comparison with other like stuctures

8 hours ago, BearDawg said:

It was my understanding that Tommy McAmis donated all of the heavy equipment to be used on both projects, this saving cost. He’s good for donations like that. This is info as I understand it. 

^ True, this is the reason it is now called McAmis field. Dalton Mullins and Isaiah McAmis are two of his grandchildren. 

2 hours ago, cowboysnskynyrd said:

^ True, this is the reason it is now called McAmis field. Dalton Mullins and Isaiah McAmis are two of his grandchildren. 

sooo not one dime of county money was spent???and the total cost was 2 million??when other projects cost what 4 million ??nope i dont believe it, just open the books, show me the accounts where only donor money was spent, show where the man hours running that equipment are written down (OHSA REQUIRED),LOOK AT THE COUNTY OWN RECORDS $200,000 SPENT,

9 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

sooo not one dime of county money was spent???and the total cost was 2 million??when other projects cost what 4 million ??nope i dont believe it, just open the books, show me the accounts where only donor money was spent, show where the man hours running that equipment are written down (OHSA REQUIRED),LOOK AT THE COUNTY OWN RECORDS $200,000 SPENT,

Slow down pal. I’m not saying any of that. I’m just saying Tommy donated the equipment. I have no inside knowledge of the info you are talking about, so I can’t speculate on that. I’m no contractor nor do I have any love for central. It’s just good to look at things objectively with all info taken into account is all. Wasn’t trying to convince you one way or the other. 

2 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

You should have noticed I only quoted his reply about McAmis donating the equipment. I did not say county money wasn’t spent. My reply was simply confirming a very wealthy McAmis donated equipment being used on a piece of dirt that his grandchildren will benefit from. 

15 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

2.6 was for turf, grading, making the surface playable, nothing else included at CARL SMITH , UVA WISE in 1997(todays numbers over 3million), yes they said it was all donations, ok but WCSB still had to kick in $200,000 at least, ITS KINDA A PRINCIPLE THING TO ME,we have let our leaders lie to us for years and we just accept it. The elementry kids in APPALACHIA are bused to UNION now and are doing fine.I just felt like someone was rolling a dog turd in powderd sugar and telling me it was a donut. Just wanted to confirm the bs price tag through comparison with other like stuctures

When construction was completed, the Central students did not have any football stadium, baseball diamond, track or cross country field. The millions came from Richard Gilliam. Sooooooo basically you’re pissed because $200,000 was spent? Union didn’t have to solicit donars, they just kept playing at one high school’s famous field right? 

1 hour ago, cowboysnskynyrd said:

When construction was completed, the Central students did not have any football stadium, baseball diamond, track or cross country field. The millions came from Richard Gilliam. Sooooooo basically you’re pissed because $200,000 was spent? Union didn’t have to solicit donars, they just kept playing at one high school’s famous field right? 

YES,when you close APPALACHIA ELEMENTRY,BUS SPECIAL NEEDS KIDS AND TELL EASTSIDE YOU ARE A FOSTER KID OF WISE COUNTY(NO NEW SCHOOL, NO NEW FIELD, AND NOW TALK OF GOING TO ONLY 2 SCHOOLS)so yes pissed is a understatement.All I am saying is this, "if you do for one you should do for all" and I believe thats state law under the AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT. 

I vaguely remember Union costing more money than Central did. I am talking full construction and such. Remember PV had to be demolished while Central's old school (JJK) wasn't. Does this ring a bell for anyone else? That when you put the figured it cost putting up Union and Central (two identical school with the same blueprints) that Union came out much more expensive.

Using your logic jarhead, then Central should be "owed" some money... Maybe that will justify the $200,000 the BOS gave... not the SB. 

I am going to comb through the WCSB website to see if I can find the presentation with this info. 

12 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

I vaguely remember Union costing more money than Central did. I am talking full construction and such. Remember PV had to be demolished while Central's old school (JJK) wasn't. Does this ring a bell for anyone else? That when you put the figured it cost putting up Union and Central (two identical school with the same blueprints) that Union came out much more expensive.

Using your logic jarhead, then Central should be "owed" some money... Maybe that will justify the $200,000 the BOS gave... not the SB. 

I am going to comb through the WCSB website to see if I can find the presentation with this info. 

Are you counting the additional $2.5 millon that was allotted for Central to purchase and level the property?

Excerpt from the Coalfield...A $50 million bond issuance helped fund both new schools. County supervisors also budgeted an additional $2.5 million to purchase 25 acres from the Norton Industrial Development Authority for the new school, conduct engineering work at that site and construct an approach road to the school from Industrial Drive.

7 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Are you counting the additional $2.5 millon that was allotted for Central to purchase and level the property?

Excerpt from the Coalfield...A $50 million bond issuance helped fund both new schools. County supervisors also budgeted an additional $2.5 million to purchase 25 acres from the Norton Industrial Development Authority for the new school, conduct engineering work at that site and construct an approach road to the school from Industrial Drive.

I could be mistaken... I knew one cost more than the other. I remember reading it and it sounds like Central was the more costly project... I have yet to find the presentation on the WCPS website. 

Jarhead, if you can find any illegal conduct, by the WCSB, that took place during the construction of Central, I’m right there with you. I just don’t believe any thing like that happened. You seem to make it sound as though under the table actions built the football field. That’s just not true. Richard Gilliam was paid close to $1 billion for one of his businesses just before his donation. I don’t think he would ruin his life over a $2 million donation. Btw, Army Corp absorbed the majority of the $100+ million Ridgeview project.