Wise central s stadium

jarhead24219

On 10/10/2017 at 9:41 AM, jarhead24219 said:

Here is my thing, Appalachia elementary closed due to budget, my son has CP and is bused 12 miles each way because they say the Union HS is not st up for him???really I thought ALL new schools  have to be handicap compliant. The Americans with disabilities act states that a child Shall be educated inside his own community and have an equal education and not be discriminated against for such disabilities. It is my belief Wise county has a shortage of funds due to Centrals  field and tennis courts, 

I just called Union High. Office secretary is named Terri. Union, like Central, is handicap compliant. Union, like Central, also has an elevator. If you have been told different, maybe that person didn’t know what they were talking about? Do you know the person that told you your child could not go to Union because of his disability? I do believe Central and Ridgeview for that matter, have at least one student with cp. If you want to pm me, maybe I can help?

51 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Are you counting the additional $2.5 millon that was allotted for Central to purchase and level the property?

Excerpt from the Coalfield...A $50 million bond issuance helped fund both new schools. County supervisors also budgeted an additional $2.5 million to purchase 25 acres from the Norton Industrial Development Authority for the new school, conduct engineering work at that site and construct an approach road to the school from Industrial Drive.

This one gets me. Wasn’t the land wcs bought from the craphole of norton the same land the county annexed them a few years earlier so they could build the new Walmart and still say it was in norton?  I hate norton. More than anywhere else. Goes back to kuzco and the gates of hell comment in 91 and the brawl on the field in 90. But back to the subject, wasn’t this the same land. Stupid location to put central. Should have built it at the flea market site and had diff colors and mascot as well. Wise co failed at this consolidation. 

23 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

This one gets me. Wasn’t the land wcs bought from the craphole of norton the same land the county annexed them a few years earlier so they could build the new Walmart and still say it was in norton?  I hate norton. More than anywhere else. Goes back to kuzco and the gates of hell comment in 91 and the brawl on the field in 90. But back to the subject, wasn’t this the same land. Stupid location to put central. Should have built it at the flea market site and had diff colors and mascot as well. Wise co failed at this consolidation. 

I know that Wise Co and Norton did a land swap for the Wal-Mart Supercenter site because Wal-Mart wanted to remain in Norton. I am not sure what land Wise Co received, or what the exact boundaries were of each property.

Edit: I just found minutes from a Norton council meeting dated Jan 6, 2004 stating that the land swap was 12.2 acres. That would indicate this is not the same land Central is currently on since it was part of 25 acre purchase. I guess it could be half. Just not sure.

Edited by Union_Fan

The location of Central makes sense when you consider that Eastside wont last long. The enrollment of the school (and county as a whole is dropping) it will close in the near future. Looking back Coeburn and St Paul should have been folded into Central when consolidation initially took place and saved the county $. Personally I believe the reason it wasn't was to prevent Central from moving up to 3A, which under VHSL rules at the time would have been a disaster

Centrals colors make sense to me -  Pound was Black/Red, JJK was Red/Black  what's wrong with keeping those colors? 

Eastside got the short end of the stick but they also represent a smaller portion of the counties students. Coeburn really got screwed in the deal; lost their school name and mascot, and almost no students came from St Paul(unsurprisingly).  

Union actually did a great job embracing consolidation, from coming up with a school name that's unique and doing so early, to picking a mascot and colors on their own(student body made the choice I believe). Well done all around.

13 minutes ago, redtiger said:

The location of Central makes sense when you consider that Eastside wont last long. The enrollment of the school (and county as a whole is dropping) it will close in the near future. Looking back Coeburn and St Paul should have been folded into Central when consolidation initially took place and saved the county $. Personally I believe the reason it wasn't was to prevent Central from moving up to 3A, which under VHSL rules at the time would have been a disaster

Centrals colors make sense to me -  Pound was Black/Red, JJK was Red/Black  what's wrong with keeping those colors? 

Eastside got the short end of the stick but they also represent a smaller portion of the counties students. Coeburn really got screwed in the deal; lost their school name and mascot, and almost no students came from St Paul(unsurprisingly).  

Union actually did a great job embracing consolidation, from coming up with a school name that's unique and doing so early, to picking a mascot and colors. Well done all around.

I agree with most of this. What bothers me about central is the fact that they look like pound. Part of the consolidation story was new colors and mascots. Pound high school was a consolidated high school. Christopher gist high and flat gap high combined into pound. Chris gist high we’re the...Warriors. But central can’t use an Indian type warrior. Why not go with a maroon. It’s a type Red. Union nailed theirs. Navy, combining the two blues. And orange, red and yellow mixed. Brilliant. Central needed a mascot that can represent the school. Not a sword. This was my stance when my kids were at Central. Sure colors and mascots are a trivial thing. But when you’re trying to invoke pride into a new program, it’s a big deal. Consolidation sucks. I miss Friday nights in the LPD. Virginia high and clintwood were the big road trips. Appy and PV or Norton. But drop in enrollment and funding destroyed that unfortunately. But I agree with what you said. 

1 hour ago, cowboysnskynyrd said:

Jarhead, if you can find any illegal conduct, by the WCSB, that took place during the construction of Central, I’m right there with you.

25 acres for $2.5 million is a bit questionable...that and the fact that a county school is actually within the city limits of Norton...

30 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I know that Wise Co and Norton did a land swap for the Wal-Mart Supercenter site because Wal-Mart wanted to remain in Norton. I am not sure what land Wise Co received, or what the exact boundaries were of each property.

Edit: I just found minutes from a Norton council meeting dated Jan 6, 2004 stating that the land swap was 12.2 acres. That would indicate this is not the same land Central is currently on since it was part of 25 acre purchase. I guess it could be half. Just not sure.

Good find pal. Helps ease my mind some. Thanks. 

I didn't know that about CGHS being the warriors.  Central definitely needs a true mascot and I think the school is finding an identity and a mascot to embrace(not a sword which was/is/always will be lame). Originally the uniforms were very much like Pounds, not so much now.

The one place Union went wrong was the mascot / color combination, Navy/orange bears isint very original (Chicago, Bland, etc)

1 hour ago, cowboysnskynyrd said:

I just called Union High. Office secretary is named Terri. Union, like Central, is handicap compliant. Union, like Central, also has an elevator. If you have been told different, maybe that person didn’t know what they were talking about? Do you know the person that told you your child could not go to Union because of his disability? I do believe Central and Ridgeview for that matter, have at least one student with cp. If you want to pm me, maybe I can help?

I was misinformed by my ex(custody of JORDAN)she had told me that he HAD TO GO TO SCHOOL AT THE ALT ED, but in fact it was the best option, based on his multiple needs, so with that being the best fit for our son I will leave it alone,but I do want to thank you for bringing this to light,please accept my thanks.

The $ I’m referring to is for the football field, not the full acreages. If I’m not mistaken, the late George Barnette owned part of the land Central now sits on. Maybe that’s the missing 12.5 acres? I have no idea how this was purchased? Politics is why Central is within the city limits. My point is, donations paid for the majority of the football field. Central isn’t the reason for Appalachia ms being closed, a possible swimming pool or someone telling jarhead his child can’t go to Union.

Just now, jarhead24219 said:

I was misinformed by my ex(custody of JORDAN)she had told me that he HAD TO GO TO SCHOOL AT THE ALT ED, but in fact it was the best option, based on his multiple needs, so with that being the best fit for our son I will leave it alone,but I do want to thank you for bringing this to light,please accept my thanks.

You’re welcome my friend. Times are tough and difficult situations make it tougher.