Spring 2020 'CV19' Impact/Changes

trublue

p_Ap6cgH_bigger.jpg VHSL Athletics @VHSL_ 

Due to Gov. Northam declaring all schools close for the remainder of the year, all VHSL spring sports and activities have been cancelled.

WinchesterStarSports @WinStarSports1

Statement from VHSL. No spring sports until the end of the academic year, which is early June locally. VHSL will meet Tuesday to discuss if there are options to do anything after the academic year is over.

ET0irfnXgAMwjUk.jpg

Tuesday morning, the VHSL will hold a conference call with the VHSL Crisis Management Team to discuss all options relating to spring sports and activities after the current academic year. The VHSL will announce a decision on Tuesday following the meeting.

As always, our decisions will be made in the best interest of public health.

great state

Tim Hayes @Hayes_BHCSports

"People say that high school is over before you blink. That quote literally happened for every senior in Virginia today," Lebanon High School star athlete Averie Price told @BHCSports. #VHSL

Allen Gregory @Greg_BHCSports
This is an especially tough day for seniors involved in spring sports around Virginia. Their anquish is real. If possible, cook them some comfort food or just offer a shoulder to cry on. Compassion and empathy have never been so vital. #hcbb

Eric Kolenich @EricKolenich
With school closed, the high school spring sports season is effectively canceled. Some 70,000 athletes across the state are affected.

Tim Hayes Retweeted
 Ronnie Davis @RonnieD19169479
Words can not explain the heartbreak I have for this group of Young Ladies. I Love You!! Go Lady Blues!!

Jim Sacco @Sacco_DNR
As tough as this is for these high school seniors, imagine how emotional it is for the coaches who won't have that last chance to coach them.

Jim Sacco Retweeted
9AKKHA_T_bigger.jpg ERHS Track‏ @erhs_track
To us coaches, they're not just "kids." They are, and will always be... "our kids." #eastrockfamily

great state

Gate City Retweeted

Tanner Cook @tcookJCPKTN
To all the HS seniors in Southwest and all Virginia public schools that had their last go around cut short, my heart breaks for you. To all those in spring sports that lost what you worked for at no fault of your own, I can’t imagine that feeling.  I wish you all the best.

great state

Following another state, KANSAS,  cancelled all spring sports.

KSHSAA cancels 2020 spring sports season

excerpt:

A day after Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly announced executive order No. 20-07, in which all of the state’s school districts would close their campuses and buildings through May 29 because of COVID-19, the Kansas State High School Activities Association followed her lead. After much deliberation examining every possible scenario, the KSHSAA canceled all spring championships, competitions and festivals for the remainder of the school year Wednesday afternoon.

https://www.cjonline.com/sports/20200318/kshsaa-cancels-2020-spring-sports-season

Following another state, NORTH CAROLINA...

Coronavirus: Spring sports unlikely to return with schools remaining closed until May

excerpt: 

It's looking less likely that there will be high school sports for the rest of the calendar school year.

Gov. Roy Cooper announced at a press conference on March 23 that schools statewide will be closed until at least May 15 due to the spread of the coronavirus.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/high-school/hshuddle/2020/03/23/coronavirus-spring-sports-unlikely-return-schools-remaining-closed-until-may/2900183001/

Brad Fauber Retweeted

Cody Elliott @Cody_DNRSports
FWIW, I was told around 5 p.m. that an announcement was coming from the @VHSL_ "very soon." Since the league cancelled the spring sports season yesterday, an online petition to postpone that decision has now garnered over 11,000 signatures.

scrimmageplay @scrimmageplay 

The VHSL announces it will hold off on a final decision on spring sports until May. From Executive Director Billy Haun: "“The Crisis Management team overwhelmingly felt a decision on an extension to the spring sports season should be put on hold until May."

cont... "Any options for the spring sports season will require that COVID-19 is no longer a threat and poses no health risks to our student-athletes or the public."

great state

Gary Thompson Retweeted

Casey GoetzVerified account @WCYB_CaseyGoetz
The VHSL has decided to delay any decision about playing high school sports once the current academic year is over until May. It may be a long shot but at least hope remains for high school athletes in Virginia.

great state

Galax Gazette Sports @GazetteSports24

Highlights from @VHSL release (thread):
Decision to provide options will be delayed until May.
Factors considered: A possible waiver for the July dead period;
Amateur rule for baseball athletes in MLB draft;
Waiving the sports season rule (spring calendar ends in June)...

Rodney Young @yjake
Spring sports still alive till May 1.

Just have to post the following.... ha-ha...only Sacco... his new moniker

Jim Washing My Hands Every Five Minutes Sacco @Sacco_DNR                

great state

Bulletin Sports @BulletinSport

'I don’t know how that will play out for them' Local high school coaches talked with the Bulletin about what a cancelled season means for their seniors' recruitment, and what they plan to do moving forward.

great state

Tim Hayes @Hayes_BHCSports

Guess there could still be #VHSL district/region tourneys/meets, but no state champs. IF things are back to normal, would underclassmen pass up chances to attend showcases/camps? Would DI signees still have to report for classes in late-June as usual? Lots of pieces to the puzzle

great state

14 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I just don't see the VH$L getting spring sports off the ground at any point.  I could be wrong but these are all non-revenue sports and that will come into play IMO.  I hate all of this for each kid but especially the seniors.

Agreed, I don't see these sports happening at all.

recruit757 Retweeted

PByohS4e_bigger.jpg The SAT ProgramVerified account @OfficialSAT
The SAT Program Retweeted The SAT Program

#ICYMI:  The May SAT is canceled.  We're continuing to assess the status of the June SAT & will provide an update as soon as we have more info.  Fall SAT registration opens in April.  We'll provide additional SAT opportunities as soon as feasible.

The SAT ProgramVerified account @OfficialSAT

In response to COVID-19, we're canceling the May 2 SAT, as well as March makeup exams. Registered students will receive refunds. We will provide additional SAT testing opportunities as soon as feasible in place of canceled administrations.
More details: http://spr.ly/60111sujT .

great state

Just posted....

Scott AbrahamVerified account @ScottABC7 

Scott Abraham Retweeted Nicole Auerbach

The NCAA makes their decision

Nicole AuerbachVerified account @NicoleAuerbach

Source tells @TheAthleticCFB that the NCAA Division I Council has approved blanket waiver for all spring-sport athletes to get an extra year of eligibility. Schools will be able to offer less (or zero) aid or match what they provided this year. Up to each school for each athlete.

great state

7 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Governor of Virginia has issued a Stay at Home order until June 10th.  So nothing will be happening before that.

I seriously doubt anything will happen after that as far as spring sports. Football coaches will be chomping at the bit to get started. I bet they’re going crazy as it is but they’re all in the same boat so I guess that’s plus. Hopefully, our local boys are putting in time on their own to stay in shape. 

18 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I seriously doubt anything will happen after that as far as spring sports. Football coaches will be chomping at the bit to get started. I bet they’re going crazy as it is but they’re all in the same boat so I guess that’s plus. Hopefully, our local boys are putting in time on their own to stay in shape. 

I'm sure most of the coaches are contacting their players telling them to stay focused and keep conditioning.  I may be in the minority here, but I'm starting to doubt that we will have a football season this fall.  I mean, flu season starts ramping up around October,if it does die down,  this thing may make a comeback in the fall if there is not a vaccine by then.  (Which is most likely the case).