Auburn???

MT FAN 91

10 minutes ago, Stranger danger said:

I see what you're saying. But absolutely no up side for Giles to take that game. Really no upside for Graham either. 

It is not about an upside or a downside. It is about getting to play. I am getting to the point where I believe high schools sports are better without playoffs.

No way do I wanna play graham this year.

Scared? Hell no

Just don't want our kids losing all the confidence they have built this year in one game

No doubt graham would beat us badly this year but it's not worth it to me to play this game because of the possible downside for us heading to playoffs

6 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

It is not about an upside or a downside. It is about getting to play. I am getting to the point where I believe high schools sports are better without playoffs.

Then you would see a huge drop in participation...who wants to play knowing there is no reward

2 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Then you would see a huge drop in participation...who wants to play knowing there is no reward

Tell that to all the kids who played back in the day when there was no playoffs. Their reward was having fun and learning about themselves too.

9 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Tell that to all the kids who played back in the day when there was no playoffs. Their reward was having fun and learning about themselves too.

Yeah, but I think even in those times, you had teams "declared"  champions of districts, regions, and even state. 

53 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Back in what day lol

Sorry pal things have changed...tell kids now you get 10 games only Max...sit back and watch kids say screw that

Just a different take from me.  I'm old school.  If Giles could only find one game in the state Friday night and Hampton High agrees to come to Giles, sign me up.  Sign me up now as a fan, and sign me up back then as a former player against the Crabbers.  The North Cross team gave the Spartans a real smack in the face, especially through the air.  That game in my opinion paid huge dividends against James River.  We got just enough passing defense experience to at least improve some, just enough improvement to slow down James River's passing game, and I think it mattered in the outcome.  Certainly not the only reason for our win, but that played at least some part.  

Playing Graham.  We would be playing a vicious line on both sides of the ball.  The physicality might be just enough to make the Galax game possible.  Unlikely, for sure, but you never know.  4 Turnovers for Galax and you never know.  We know that if we play Graham, we aren't facing anything close to that kind of line play in Region C or the rest of the West in Class 1.  Add to this Glenvar, and we are as prepared as we can possibly be against Galax.

With the above written, my opinion only, I can also see the flip side which HokieBird is arguing regarding confidence.  Sadly, but truly, kids today have shaky ego's and it's not like it was years ago.  If Graham were to beat us 50-7, that could effect confidence levels, and by the way, Graham would beat us pretty soundly this year, so I can see this side of the argument also.  At the end of the day though, for the love of God, who in the he** doesn't want to play.  I really can't understand it, and even try to put myself in another's situation today.  I just wanted to freakin PLAY in my time.  At some point, there is an argument about something as simple as........FUN.   Football is FUN and when you play it, It's FUN.  When you are not playing on a Friday night, it's not FUN.  I use to hate the bye week.  Why?  I wasn't playing on Friday night.  It sucked.  It wasn't any fun to me.  But, just one dude's opinion.  I know there are others.

2 hours ago, Stranger danger said:

I see what you're saying. But absolutely no up side for Giles to take that game. Really no upside for Graham either. 

I hear you, but respectfully disagree.  In my opinion, Giles is good enough this year for there to be an upside for Graham.   What is Graham's major concern coming into the playoffs.   My guess would be, the ability to run between the tackles with the running back and not the QB.  That's something to work on.  

Bottom line is this in my opinion on whether it's a worthwhile game for Graham or Giles.  At Graham, is Giles starters better than Graham's two's?  The answer is yes, even though Graham's two's are probably still very good, I go with Giles in that argument, so you can practice against your 2's, or you can play a team like Giles.  I say you learn more from playing Giles than going against your two's in practice.  Same for Giles.  We are going to play Galax.  It will happen. We know the problem with Galax.  Physicality.  Who's more physical?  Graham certainly is, so that's why its an upside for Giles in my opinion.  But again, I can also see the confidence side of the argument and I can respect that. 

8 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

I hear you, but respectfully disagree.  In my opinion, Giles is good enough this year for there to be an upside for Graham.   What is Graham's major concern coming into the playoffs.   My guess would be, the ability to run between the tackles with the running back and not the QB.  That's something to work on.  

Bottom line is this in my opinion on whether it's a worthwhile game for Graham or Giles.  At Graham, is Giles starters better than Graham's two's?  The answer is yes, even though Graham's two's are probably still very good, I go with Giles in that argument, so you can practice against your 2's, or you can play a team like Giles.  I say you learn more from playing Giles than going against your two's in practice.  Same for Giles.  We are going to play Galax.  It will happen. We know the problem with Galax.  Physicality.  Who's more physical?  Graham certainly is, so that's why its an upside for Giles in my opinion.  But again, I can also see the confidence side of the argument and I can respect that. 

We may place Galax it's not a given...have to win 2 playoff games before that would happen