Who's Winning 2D Coach of the Year

BandanaVTDavis4321

17 minutes ago, f00tba11c0ach said:

Mountain 7 is based off powerpoints, just call and ask the AD at Gate City who is losing his mind right about now

Either way Lee or Gate City is getting smashed by Graham in the first round. Gotta feel bad for the seniors who lose a chance on playing another game for GC, but happy for the seniors at Lee who get to play an extra one. 

31 minutes ago, f00tba11c0ach said:

Mountain 7 is based off powerpoints, just call and ask the AD at Gate City who is losing his mind right about now

Might be best to miss out this year and not have to get smashed by Graham.  Both Lee and GC seem to be improving a little so getting blown out isn't doing them any favors.  But I'm sure the kids wanna play so good luck to whichever team it is

On 11/4/2021 at 1:36 PM, GilesDavis4321 said:

This one might be tough to score.  Tazewell, Gate City, Richlands, and Lee High (improved a bunch) are off the table because their records just aren't good enough.

Central, RV, Union, Graham, Virginia

I think Union at 7-3 is probably a no.  Central, even though 7-3 lost absolute nailbiters.   You talk about teams using the excuse, "we were a couple of plays from being........."  well, it actually kind of applies here.  Central is so well coached in every aspect, fundamentally perfect.  Luke took what he learned under Beamer, Charlie Wiles, Foster, Billy Hite and company, and has made it work, and he presides over one of the best (in my opinion) Class 2 coached football teams in the state of Virginia)  RV, also 7-3, a better case for their HC if they would have pulled the win over Bluefield, but again, a freshmen QB ( I think he's a freshmen, maybe a sophomore) and the loss of a 4 star player, and to still be that good is impressive.  Graham is Graham, and Palmer and staff do a solid job.  10-0 (assuming the impossible doesn't happen tonight) is hard to beat.  With that written, Graham has some serious horses in the pen, and the old "but they have so much talent argument" is at least some factor.  They have 2 P5 players on the team, but Graham did the only thing it could, win all 10 games, and outside of Union, had zero close games.  Kind of like 9 blowouts, outside of Bluefield which was still a vicious beating.  Other than the Union thriller, Graham has not had a game within 25 points all year.  Lastly, the argument for Va High.  If they beat the Blues, and considering their turnaround, their HC is heavily in the mix.

No offense to the M7 which is incredibly solid and I think for most 2A districts in Virginia (many which have class 1, Class 3 and 4 teams mixed in) the M7 might be the best district in the state.  But, the 7-3 records will hurt the chances of getting Coach of the Year.  I think it comes down to Graham's HC and Virginia's HC.  Va High also returned a bunch from what I understand, but the turnaround is obvious, and when voting for Coaches of the Year, "turnarounds" hold lots of weight.  So do Perfect Records.  To close to call in my opinion.   Lastly, I guess it depends when the vote occurs.  If Ridgeview were to win the Region, considering they lost Adkins, hard not to vote for them, or any other team mentioned.  

Turner does not deserve coach of the year. His team has regressed since the Graham game. If you watched them play Abingdon, you would have thought it was his first year coaching. From preparation to game/time management it was a dismal performance. 

Owens has/is building a solid program at Central. He will probably continue to beat Union for years to come. I think this could be a very good year for them. IMO he has done more with less than all other coaches this year.

Palmer is doing a bang up job year in and year out. This year is no different. I think he is reaping the benefit of having a large amount of talent on his team. Unlike Turner he knows how to put his best players in a position to win.

Va High coach, make some noise in the playoffs and you make a case. The loss to Richlands didn't help.

In the end I see Central playing Graham for the Region D championship. The winner getting the honor of being COY.

1 hour ago, foosballer said:

Turner does not deserve coach of the year. His team has regressed since the Graham game. If you watched them play Abingdon, you would have thought it was his first year coaching. From preparation to game/time management it was a dismal performance. 

Owens has/is building a solid program at Central. He will probably continue to beat Union for years to come. I think this could be a very good year for them. IMO he has done more with less than all other coaches this year.

Palmer is doing a bang up job year in and year out. This year is no different. I think he is reaping the benefit of having a large amount of talent on his team. Unlike Turner he knows how to put his best players in a position to win.

Va High coach, make some noise in the playoffs and you make a case. The loss to Richlands didn't help.

In the end I see Central playing Graham for the Region D championship. The winner getting the honor of being COY.

I don't disagree with you on Owens but didn't he return almost everyone.  They had posters of their seniors and looked to be 20 of them.  I thought before the season they'd go undefeated

2 hours ago, foosballer said:

Lol let's see what happens when Central loses this special group of kids they've been hyping up since pee wee football. 

If only there were some way to measure like the NFL uses analytics for stats such as "yards over expected ". For coach of the year, I would go with whoever has the most "wins over expected." To me, that's either Carroll or Patterson. That said, depending upon playoff results, my preference is Owens from Central. I don't know if specifically the group of kids, but Central has been consistently successful when comparing to JJ Kelly and Pound. Graham and Union even though very successful, my perception is that the talent and other factors have always been in place for success. In other words, they should compete consistently in 2D, which they have.

5 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Luke Owens is 3-6 v. Union, including as a huge fav in 2D title game last year. 

This is one factor that influenced my perception not knowing the kids themselves.  For me, in my lifetime it's been "Appalachia and Powell Valley beat JJ Kelly and Pound almost every year, so I expect Union to beat Central almost every year." It may not be true, but just an outsider's thought process.

On a related note, Palmer and staff are doing a great job of coaching the talent already walking the halls, as well as making the most of a beneficial situation where transfers outside the community want to play for Graham.  I'm not casting a stone, acknowledging that Richlands has benefited from key transfers. Graham's location enables them to benefit more in this area. The Graham staff is doing a masterful job with their success of making it a more attractive destination. 

On 11/6/2021 at 3:32 PM, tornado99 said:

This is one factor that influenced my perception not knowing the kids themselves.  For me, in my lifetime it's been "Appalachia and Powell Valley beat JJ Kelly and Pound almost every year, so I expect Union to beat Central almost every year." It may not be true, but just an outsider's thought process.

RV is the wild card.  From what I’ve seen Union and Central downplay RV each season.  RV is 2-2 against Central last four and 1-3 against Union.  However, the last two against Union have been very close. RV has a chance to make some noise next season in the M7 and not just be a tough out.  

21 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

RV is the wild card.  From what I’ve seen Union and Central downplay RV each season.  RV is 2-2 against Central last four and 1-3 against Union.  However, the last two against Union have been decided by one score.  RV has a chance to make some noise next season in the M7 and not just be a tough out.  

I have an incredibly hard time figuring out Ridgeview. I never knew if Clintwood and Haysi were athletic talent havens or if great coaching lead to overachieving (notably in Haysi's case).

26 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

RV is the wild card.  From what I’ve seen Union and Central downplay RV each season.  RV is 2-2 against Central last four and 1-3 against Union.  However, the last two against Union have been decided by one score.  RV has a chance to make some noise next season in the M7 and not just be a tough out.  

Ridgeview will definitely be best 2a team in M7 not sure what Abingdon has back though 

On 11/6/2021 at 4:08 PM, tornado99 said:

I have an incredibly hard time figuring out Ridgeview. I never knew if Clintwood and Haysi were athletic talent havens or if great coaching lead to overachieving (notably in Haysi's case).

RV fans will look back at the last several years and realize they had their most prolific rusher, passer (current kid will smash all their records) and receiver in school history in a 5 year span.  Of course they ain’t that old.  I always thought Haysi’s coaching was better than Clintwood’s.

Always a treat to watch m7 and sw, great atmosphere most stadiums, fan base,  rivals, respectful football for the most part.  Bottom dwellers won't always be  there and Champs won't always be at the top.  When most are competing, u should have 3 way ties. Makes things interesting. 

• 4 weeks later...