Mountain 7 favorites and returning stand-out players.

SwvaOG

6 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Listening to Ridgeviews player interviews at media day, they are oozing confidence. This is likely their year in the M7, and my pick for the region. 

You're not kidding! Confidence abounds on Rose Ridge.

https://www.timesnews.net/sports/watch-now-wolfpack-embracing-expectations-for-season/article_2c801d40-1461-11ed-8f1c-579bd19d5cba.html

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

Dang they are REALLY confident. 

Well, Central was super confident last year with a similarly stacked senior class, and they didn’t make it to the Regional finals.  So, they need to be careful.    I’ve felt that RV’s coaching has been subpar in several areas last several years…..I wonder if the kids are seeing a difference in coaching or scheme that makes them believe this is the year.  Maybe some holes have been buttoned up.  I don’t think anyone disputes their talent….just have doubts about the program’s ability to maximize that talent. 

25 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Well, Central was super confident last year with a similarly stacked senior class, and they didn’t make it to the Regional finals.  So, they need to be careful.    I’ve felt that RV’s coaching has been subpar in several areas last several years…..I wonder if the kids are seeing a difference in coaching or scheme that makes them believe this is the year.  Maybe some holes have been buttoned up.  I don’t think anyone disputes their talent….just have doubts about the program’s ability to maximize that talent. 

I think losing Crabtree the year before was a bigger blow than some expected. Had he been on that team last year, Central would have competed with Graham for the region title. Also, I think teams were better prepared for Central's offense last year after having a few seasons to play against it.

This year's Ridgeview team has stars at the big 3 positions, QB, WR, and RB/Multipurpose back. They will be a threat from so many different areas. It will take a very well rounded and disciplined team to match up with that offense.

Confidence is NOT a bad thing either. I prefer this style way more than “well, we’re gonna do the best we can with what we have and hope it works out.” They are on attack from the start and not playing defense. I like it. It will be extremely disappointing if they have a 2nd round exit. 

I watched 30 minutes or so of the Union and Elizabethyon Scrimmage.  I may want to rethink my pick on Ridgeview and Abingdon 1st and 2nd and Union 3rd.  For a team that supposebly lost a lot, and the talk about Ridgeview (which is certainly valid) Union beat Elizabethton up IMO on the line of scrimmage.  You can't tell much about scrimmages which is obvious and coaches are shuffling players and trying new things, and may be more vanilla or less vanilla than what they would in an actual game.  It's hard to tell and there is no doubt about that and to say "one team is better than the other can be kind of laughable", BUT.......what you can tell is who wins from tackle to tackle on the line of scrimmage, and I don't know what Elizabethton returns for their team, but I know this, Union beat them on the LOS in the 30 minutes I watched.  Only my opinion.  Union being in the mix and in battles/close games with Abingdon and Ridgeview is no shocker to me.  They looked like a typical Union team to me, but with some serious mobility at QB and they actually looked Better (again, IMO) Up front, on the line of scrimmage than last year.  As to how well Union can cover in space defensively or contain the edge against speedy teams, it's just to tough to tell imo from a simple scrimmage, but from tackle to tackle, on offense and defensively their front 7 looked very good to me.

50 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I watched 30 minutes or so of the Union and Elizabethyon Scrimmage.  I may want to rethink my pick on Ridgeview and Abingdon 1st and 2nd and Union 3rd.  For a team that supposebly lost a lot, and the talk about Ridgeview (which is certainly valid) Union beat Elizabethton up IMO on the line of scrimmage.  You can't tell much about scrimmages which is obvious and coaches are shuffling players and trying new things, and may be more vanilla or less vanilla than what they would in an actual game.  It's hard to tell and there is no doubt about that and to say "one team is better than the other can be kind of laughable", BUT.......what you can tell is who wins from tackle to tackle on the line of scrimmage, and I don't know what Elizabethton returns for their team, but I know this, Union beat them on the LOS in the 30 minutes I watched.  Only my opinion.  Union being in the mix and in battles/close games with Abingdon and Ridgeview is no shocker to me.  They looked like a typical Union team to me, but with some serious mobility at QB and they actually looked Better (again, IMO) Up front, on the line of scrimmage than last year.  As to how well Union can cover in space defensively or contain the edge against speedy teams, it's just to tough to tell imo from a simple scrimmage, but from tackle to tackle, on offense and defensively their front 7 looked very good to me.

I'm here, and this is exactly what I'm seeing.

Outside of a couple of years, Union has never had the best secondary, and Betsy is eating us alive on the pass.

Against the run, however, this front 7 has the potential to be the best since 2017.

OL and backfield are much better than I was expecting.

In terms of Union, “They are who we thought they were.”  They will be disciplined and well coached.  They will rush the ball and stop the ball from being rushed.  They lose a greaT physical back who could take it the distance in Lomax.  So, it’s safe to say that will drop a bit.  I bet the OLbis the same or better than last year.  They will be a tough out and I believe they will go 1-1 against Abingdon and RIdgeview.  The question will be if they have the back 4 to cover RV’s Excellent core of WRs for 60 minutes.  I don’t think they do and I think Turner knows that. That’s why I think he will blitz and mix coverages and get after O’Quinn thinking the RV Oline is suspect.  

I look for Union to bootleg and run the QB a lot.  They will be tough to beat and I can see a shared M7 title.  I’ve watched RV and I know that Union’s DC probably shouldn’t look at last year’s film.  Stanley won’t let them double Beavers and Cannon Hill and the Counts kid will have to be accounted for.  It should be an awesome matchup of two good teams with completely different styles.  I look forward to it.  As for the M7……I’m going with Abingdon.  I’m super duper impressed with Amburgey’s staff.

12 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

I'm hearing John Battle is looking good & improved from last season. Not saying they'll give Ridgeview, Abingdon, or Union trouble, but definitely see them winning more than 1 or 2 games this season.

They demolished what appears to be a terrible Eastside team so I wouldn't put too much stock into that score but Battle did look better than last season 

On 8/8/2022 at 8:04 PM, Union_Fan said:

I'm here, and this is exactly what I'm seeing.

Outside of a couple of years, Union has never had the best secondary, and Betsy is eating us alive on the pass.

Against the run, however, this front 7 has the potential to be the best since 2017.

OL and backfield are much better than I was expecting.

If I'm remembering right we return all of our lineman on both sides and return kid who was injured in scrimmage and Honeycutt returns along with satterfield so running the ball we should be fine.  But I'm assuming the passing game will be weak AGAIN!!!

5 hours ago, goose111874 said:

If I'm remembering right we return all of our lineman on both sides and return kid who was injured in scrimmage and Honeycutt returns along with satterfield so running the ball we should be fine.  But I'm assuming the passing game will be weak AGAIN!!!

We lost Jervis at DT, but I think we'll be fine there.

Passing game was hit and miss. A lot of talent there, but young.