Lebanon vs Honaker (Thursday)

Pioneer

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I haven't seen the Tigers or Lebanon, but the boys from Honaker put a smackdown on Holston and Holston has been good. Sounds to me like Honaker is more than just a Reg D contender, but might be the frontrunner in 1D. 

Patterson had patiently built Holston's program back up before heading to Va. High. Be interesting to see where Holston goes in the next few years.

3 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

Patterson had patiently built Holston's program back up before heading to Va. High. Be interesting to see where Holston goes in the next few years.

I think Honaker is probably better than Lebanon-but anyone who watched that game saw that Holston helped us out a lot with fumbles and mistakes. Our first TD was a badly blown coverage and they fumbled/bad snapped on probably 8-10 occasions 

6 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

If I recall correctly, his predecessor Matlock had some success in establishing a firm foundation for Patterson. I’d look at 4 seasons football, but my memory was that they were solid, but couldn’t get over the GW/Chilhowie hump. I think both developed a great culture, but numbers limit potential.

9 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

If I recall correctly, his predecessor Matlock had some success in establishing a firm foundation for Patterson. I’d look at 4 seasons football, but my memory was that they were solid, but couldn’t get over the GW/Chilhowie hump. I think both developed a great culture, but numbers limit potential.

Sorry to quote myself. My memory was not entirely wrong, but not time sensitive. Matlock had some successful groups before returning to normal Holston. Patterson had some rough years, but successful ones at the end. 

As a bulldog fan who moved to Honaker I’m gonna go with my “home team”. But in reality i would pick Honaker either way. Lebanon just can never get anything going. I don’t know what their issue is rather it be coaching or what. But that program has went down hill. 

Honaker by 14+

9 hours ago, tornado99 said:

Yes. Coach Matlock did an outstanding job. Things went dry for a few years after he left before coming up again. Good point.

The Air raid wins out in this one. 1A schools are not use to seeing the passing attack that Honaker is going to bring to this game. Tiller has put in a lot of work in the summer to get this thing humming and its only going to get better with time. I agree Honaker may be the 1D front runner and they will pass their way to victory in this one

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

The Air raid wins out in this one. 1A schools are not use to seeing the passing attack that Honaker is going to bring to this game. Tiller has put in a lot of work in the summer to get this thing humming and its only going to get better with time. I agree Honaker may be the 1D front runner and they will pass their way to victory in this one

I imagine thought one thing Lebanon has worked against is the air attack as they have a pretty solid one themselves.  It should be a very entertaining game Thursday.

20 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I imagine thought one thing Lebanon has worked against is the air attack as they have a pretty solid one themselves.  It should be a very entertaining game Thursday.

Is Lebanon running the spread this year? The Air Raid Tiller has going is a pretty good scheme they use their back a ton in the passing game which is almost un heard of in this area

Has anyone thought that maybe Holston isn't as good this season. They lost a lot off of last year's squad and are only picked 4th or 5th in the hogo by the Bristol herald. Lebanon was actually picked 3rd below Rural Retreat and PH. Lebanon also beat a good Twin Springs team who had most of their team back from a 10 win season last year. All I am saying is don't sleep on the Pioneers this year. 

17 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Is Lebanon running the spread this year? The Air Raid Tiller has going is a pretty good scheme they use their back a ton in the passing game which is almost un heard of in this area

Lebanon has a Freshman QB who can throw it accurately all over the field. He's probably one of the top QB prospects in his class in the region. He also the WRs who can make you pay. Lebanon should be vastly improved. They also have a 54 man roster. I think the Pioneers are content flying under the radar and are hoping teams take them lightly. 

Haven't seen Honaker scrimmage but Lebanon looks very talented offensively. Their freshman QB (anyone know his name?) looks like a phenom and they have a couple of WRs with good quickness and hands. Also have two solid RBs. Defensively they looked like they needed some work but I imagine they'll put up some points this year on offense. Hard to make a prediction without having seen Honaker though. 

18 hours ago, swvaballclub said:

Haven't seen Honaker scrimmage but Lebanon looks very talented offensively. Their freshman QB (anyone know his name?) looks like a phenom and they have a couple of WRs with good quickness and hands. Also have two solid RBs. Defensively they looked like they needed some work but I imagine they'll put up some points this year on offense. Hard to make a prediction without having seen Honaker though. 

The QB's name is Mike Reece I believe.

19 hours ago, swvaballclub said:

From the Lebanon highlights I saw on hudl I would definitely say you are accurate about the offense. The defense also had some good highlights that includes a sack, an interception and a few nice pass breakups against Twin Springs. I definitely think the Pioneers are quietly flying under the radar and will surprise. I've heard Honaker is big and slow upfront. They do have the Lowe kid who is a good athlete if healthy. If he gets loose a lot, he will make teams pay. It will be interesting to see how both teams respond to the new coaches. Lebanon should have a smooth transition,  their current coach has been an assistant on Lebanon's staff for years and Is loved by the players. If the Pioneers passing attack can open up the run and keep pressure on the Tigers defense,  then they will have a great opportunity to win. Should be a great game. 

18 minutes ago, Bhonaker17 said:

In the article I read, Tiller did not seem very professional or caring about the program. Everyone thinks Honaker will go far this year, but will they? Last year at Ridgeview, he did nothing, and ive heard that from many of players. Hopefully he turns it around but we will  see. Goodluck to tiller and the tigers.

Honaker also seems to be looking past Lebanon in my opinion. I don't think I would take this Lebanon team lightly. I may be wrong, but they aren't last years Pioneers. 

On 8/23/2022 at 1:52 AM, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

As a bulldog fan who moved to Honaker I’m gonna go with my “home team”. But in reality i would pick Honaker either way. Lebanon just can never get anything going. I don’t know what their issue is rather it be coaching or what. But that program has went down hill. 

Honaker by 14+

Lebanon 19 

Honaker 13

Final

Lebanon could have win this game by a lot more. They had 3 drives inside the 5 they should have scored on. They didn't  however but still managed to win. I felt like they out played Honaker from the 2nd quarter on. Honaker had 2 good drives. If Lebanon can clean up the redzone offense and finish drives,  they will be in good shape. Their passing offense is only going to get better as the season goes. 

23 minutes ago, Pioneer said:

Lebanon 19 

Honaker 13

Final

Lebanon could have win this game by a lot more. They had 3 drives inside the 5 they should have scored on. They didn't  however but still managed to win. I felt like they out played Honaker from the 2nd quarter on. Honaker had 2 good drives. If Lebanon can clean up the redzone offense and finish drives,  they will be in good shape. Their passing offense is only going to get better as the season goes. 

I’m glad to hear this! I really am. I love seeing rough patch teams do better!