Galax at Giles

MT FAN 91

Rumor has  it this game will be played on Thursday night? Should be a good one with both teams coming off big wins, what are some thoughts on this matchup? I know Giles is starting to get back to be Giles of old but I think if Galax show's up plays disciplined football they can get the win.

The new Band Director at Galax told us last night, some Galax coaches were invited to Virginia Tech on Friday for the football game. Plus, this helps the official shortage situation and Giles was kind enough to accommodate both situations by moving the game to Thursday. 

3 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The new Band Director at Galax told us last night, some Galax coaches were invited to Virginia Tech on Friday for the football game. Plus, this helps the official shortage situation and Giles was kind enough to accommodate both situations by moving the game to Thursday. 

Works for me as I can watch both games now without recording the Va Tech game and trying to watch later with everyone telling what happened already.

Just now, MT FAN 91 said:

Works for me as I can watch both games now without recording the Va Tech game and trying to watch later with everyone telling what happened already.

Someone also said some Giles coaches have season tickets at VT. Whatever the reasoning, I sounds like the logical choice was made to benefit the most people. 

1 hour ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Rumor has  it this game will be played on Thursday night? Should be a good one with both teams coming off big wins, what are some thoughts on this matchup? I know Giles is starting to get back to be Giles of old but I think if Galax show's up plays disciplined football they can get the win.

I wish I could agree MT FAN, but Giles is 2 years away from being really solid again. We are a good football team and beyond a couple years ago, but still a ways to go. Galax is just so solid technique wise and that Glenvar win is still having me in a bit if disbelief. I thought Glenvar would win by 3 TDs, again, no disrespect to Galax. I still believe Glenvar is very very good, but Galax was underhyped for sure. 

If Galax turns over 4 or 5 times and we could get yards, move the ball enough to limit possessions of Galax, there is always a chance. Never say never, but I think Galax wins the game. 

48 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Someone also said some Giles coaches have season tickets at VT. Whatever the reasoning, I sounds like the logical choice was made to benefit the most people. 

That's true, a couple do. Giles will more than likely always be comfortable moving a game up. Galax and staff is use to the wing, but for most teams that don't see it every year, that could Possibly serve as a nice helper. For Galax, who sees it regularly with us, I don't think it makes much difference in one less day of preparation.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

That's true, a couple do. Giles will more than likely always be comfortable moving a game up. Galax and staff is use to the wing, but for most teams that don't see it every year, that could Possibly serve as a nice helper. For Galax, who sees it regularly with us, I don't think it makes much difference in one less day of preparation.

Getting ready for the the Single wing in a two week span is tough enough . Three days is a really tough outing. Giles May put up some really quick points.

I wanted to enjoy last night’s win for at least 24hrs before having to think about Galax coming to town 😂 All jokes aside, Giles is definitely the underdog but I’m hoping we can be somewhat competitive. We made some big changes to our offense and defense this week and it definitely worked but we’re facing a team that is a lot better than Blacksburg. Hopefully both teams play hard and can walk off of Stephen C Ragsdale field with no injuries.

I listened to Coach Casto talk about the benefits of his offense on a podcast a couple of years ago. His assessment stuck with me. 

His point in a nutshell, preparing for the single wing isn’t nearly as difficult as it was 20 years ago because every defensive eyeball is naturally looking into the backfield. It’s the offenses like Riverheads, where the QB is always under center, that is suddenly foreign when you consider essentially every other team has the QB 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. 

Obviously, his communication was far more nuanced and in depth than my over-simplification of his thoughts. But the central point, I think, is understandable. 

I believe this one will be closer than people are stating. Giles looked good against Blacksburg and as Mt 91 posted in another forum this is a trap game for Galax. Coming off a game like that against Glenvar and having to travel to Giles in a short week of prep is not an ideal situation. 

58 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

I believe this one will be closer than people are stating. Giles looked good against Blacksburg and as Mt 91 posted in another forum this is a trap game for Galax. Coming off a game like that against Glenvar and having to travel to Giles in a short week of prep is not an ideal situation. 

I absolutely feel that Giles is capable of making it a close game. My fear is the same fear of every other team in Region C…knowing you’re playing Galax, who consistently over the years has had a strong, disciplined team that has dominated the district and region. 

11 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

I hate that term trap game

If a team is well coached (which Galax definitely is) they will have their team ready to play.

To me that term is just an excuse before the game if a team happens to lose 

And giles is on short week too....not like this is a big advantage for giles

According to the Galax newspaper, the Tide had "multiple players sidelined due to either injury or illness" last Friday night against Glenvar. I'm not sure who was missing. I know of two but haven't gotten a handle on the likely starting lineup yet. It could explain some of the issues in the Galax secondary, which was missing a key contributor form last season. 

We got move the chains, get first downs, and have to be effective enough offensively to limit Galax's possessions. On defense, no big plays and force Galax to drive the field to score which also kills clock. I don't know how that works out, but we are going to need the above and turnovers heavily in our favor to have a chance.  Man, I'm happy HS football is back! I'm going to tell you something, if Giles somehow wins this game (and I don't think we will), I am going to raise hel$! That's a complement to the standard Galax has set in the west Class 1,  but I would lose my dam@ mind in celebration to see our program get a win of this caliber.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

We got move the chains, get first downs, and have to be effective enough offensively to limit Galax's possessions. On defense, no big plays and force Galax to drive the field to score which also kills clock. I don't know how that works out, but we are going to need the above and turnovers heavily in our favor to have a chance.  Man, I'm happy HS football is back! I'm going to tell you something, if Giles somehow wins this game (and I don't think we will), I am going to raise hel$! That's a complement to the standard Galax has set in the west Class 1,  but I would lose my dam@ mind in celebration to see our program get a win of this caliber.

To have a good chance, Giles definitely needs a couple of home runs from Ratcliff and use Parsell and Saunders to eat up as much clock as possible. Stay ahead of chains and be on the plus side of the turnovers. 

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I hate that term trap game

If a team is well coached (which Galax definitely is) they will have their team ready to play.

To me that term is just an excuse before the game if a team happens to lose 

And giles is on short week too....not like this is a big advantage for giles

Having played on multiple levels and coaching HS for multiple years I can say that a trap game is absolutely a thing not just an excuse.    
  It is a psychological issue as to where the team struggles to get up for the next game after a big win or  just get overconfident . I have seen teams absolutely struggle against a way inferior team the following week ( not saying Giles is inferior - just making a point )with absolutely no reason to other than not being mentally ready. 
   I will also say that getting ready for the blocking schemes of the wing that you see once every 365 versus a zone blocking scheme of the pistol that Giles sees multiple times a year is an advantage that goes to Giles . 
  Anyways it is just my humble opinion. It maybe an non issue for Galax . Hope so!

I'm OK with the use of trap game as long as it's not over devaluing the lesser team, and this is often the case. I remember when Miami won the title on 2001ish/2002ish and 1 commentator on ESPN and also Bob Griese were calling playing at VT a "trap game," and VT was a very good team.  Trap game is used too many times by ESPN to get their message out when the supposedly lesser team is actually very good, but has a lesser "brand" or name recognition. I'm not saying this is the case with Giles and Galax. But....what I find at many levels is the use of "trap game" is often labeled based on Name Recognition instead of truly looking at the quality of the opponent supposedly doing the "trapping".

42 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Having played on multiple levels and coaching HS for multiple years I can say that a trap game is absolutely a thing not just an excuse.    
  It is a psychological issue as to where the team struggles to get up for the next game after a big win or  just get overconfident . I have seen teams absolutely struggle against a way inferior team the following week ( not saying Giles is inferior - just making a point )with absolutely no reason to other than not being mentally ready. 
   I will also say that getting ready for the blocking schemes of the wing that you see once every 365 versus a zone blocking scheme of the pistol that Giles sees multiple times a year is an advantage that goes to Giles . 
  Anyways it is just my humble opinion. It maybe an non issue for Galax . Hope so!

Agree to disagree