Galax at Giles

MT FAN 91

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I'm OK with the use of trap game as long as it's not over devaluing the lesser team, and this is often the case. I remember when Miami won the title on 2001ish/2002ish and 1 commentator on ESPN and also Bob Griese were calling playing at VT a "trap game," and VT was a very good team.  Trap game is used too many times by ESPN to get their message out when the supposedly lesser team is actually very good, but has a lesser "brand" or name recognition. I'm not saying this is the case with Giles and Galax. But....what I find at many levels is the use of "trap game" is often labeled based on Name Recognition instead of truly looking at the quality of the opponent supposedly doing the "trapping".

By no means am I devaluing Giles. As you can see from my previous post I have always thought of them as a quality team and have never slighted them. Maybe using the term trap is not the right wording. My whole point is saying that it is not an optimal situation to play an improving team from last year who runs a unique offense in a reduced amount of prep time after a big win.  Maybe trap is wrong but I don’t have the correct word to use if it is. 

2 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

By no means am I devaluing Giles. As you can see from my previous post I have always thought of them as a quality team and have never slighted them. Maybe using the term trap is not the right wording. My whole point is saying that it is not an optimal situation to play an improving team from last year who runs a unique offense in a reduced amount of prep time after a big win.  Maybe trap is wrong but I don’t have the correct word to use if it is. 

I know you weren't devaluing Giles, and like I wrote, I'm not a fan of the words trap game, but in this circumstance, it may apply and I agree with you.  Giles has a rich history and is trending in the right direction, but when you consider the schedule Galax has with the likes of Glenvar, Radford, Graham, and coming off a big win over Glenvar, and then going on the road to play a team with a short notice that runs a weird offense, I think it kind of fits.  From my perspective, it doesn't really matter.  I would just like a W at best, would we still be somewhat content if we made a good game of it with Galax that would show progress for our program.

Looking at some clips from the Galax/Glenvar game, Galax has their own beef on the lines. For them to handle Glenvar's big boys the way they did, I just don't see them having any issues this week. I think the Tide leaves Pearisburg with the W.

38 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Looking at some clips from the Galax/Glenvar game, Galax has their own beef on the lines. For them to handle Glenvar's big boys the way they did, I just don't see them having any issues this week. I think the Tide leaves Pearisburg with the W.

Glenvar definitely had the size advantage but Galax moved them wherever they wanted to. Pure strength.

8 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

At what point do we deem Galax as being too good for Class 1 and accuse them of lying on their enrollment? Joking 😂

I've been saying it since I was a teenager in the 80's, Galax has an advantage over 98% of SWVA. The pieces were always there. The question was always, could they find someone to put all those pieces together. Along came Mark Dixon and here we are. 

Galax is 8 square miles. An awful lot of kids can walk to the school for whatever extra curricular activity they choose. The school isn't having to bus kids and parents aren't having to drive kids across an entire county for practices, workouts, weight lifting or film study. Those that can't walk, have any number of people willing to pick them up. Again, it's 8 square miles. Nobody has to travel very far to pick a kid up and get them to the high school. Add in the fact that a lot of parents head toward the high school for work, it's just convenient and easy to accommodate.

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I've been saying it since I was a teenager in the 80's, Galax has an advantage over 98% of SWVA. The pieces were always there. The question was always, could they find someone to put all those pieces together. Along came Mark Dixon and here we are. 

Galax is 8 square miles. An awful lot of kids can walk to the school for whatever extra curricular activity they choose. The school isn't having to bus kids and parents aren't having to drive kids across an entire county for practices, workouts, weight lifting or film study. Those that can't walk, have any number of people willing to pick them up. Again, it's 8 square miles. Nobody has to travel very far to pick a kid up and get them to the high school. Add in the fact that a lot of parents head toward the high school for work, it's just convenient and easy to accommodate.

It’s truly remarkable what that program was and how one coach was able to take it to the next level. You’ll never hear me say anything bad about the MT, unless they get a another Peoples or Brown in the backfield 😂 All jokes aside, despite Giles having 3 very good years from 2013-2015, it was the Galax game that worried me the most. 

3 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

It’s truly remarkable what that program was and how one coach was able to take it to the next level. You’ll never hear me say anything bad about the MT, unless they get a another Peoples or Brown in the backfield 😂 All jokes aside, despite Giles having 3 very good years from 2013-2015, it was the Galax game that worried me the most. 

Wait until Tommy Jones gets his turn very soon. He's from the extended Brown family and a once a generation athlete. He's a freshman. You'll see him tonight on the sidelines wearing #11. 

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Glenvar definitely had the size advantage but Galax moved them wherever they wanted to. Pure strength.

Also technique. When I think of Galax, I think of perfect technique. Similar to Salem at a smaller classification, they just do everything well. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Great post! This dynamic of geography and population applies to several of the traditionally great programs. While there are definitely outliers and talent that comes from the fringes of school districts, sometimes a very close population center helps (Bluefield/Graham and Gate City/Kingsport). I can’t fully explain Union/Appalachia and Powell Valley.