Galax vs West Stokes?

Hard Hitter

Galax went to West Stokes and took care of business last year winning by about 2 or 3 touchdowns if I recall correctly.  This year, even though the bunch from around King, NC travels to Galax, it will be closer this year.  I got Galax by 7 to 10 points in this one.   If Galax turns over a bunch and isn't as mentally engaged as they should be, they could lose this game in a very close one, but I go with Galax by about 8 points. 

Spainhour- A popular and well known name around King, NC, and the western part of Stokes County. West Stokes has a huge offensive tackle named James Spainhour who is a senior and committed to William and Mary, but had an offer from Marshall as well.  His older brother Isaac is on the Florida State Seminole Basketball team and Isaac is the all time leading scorer in hoops in West Stokes High history.  James Spainhour, the big tackle who Galax will face is the nephew of Dan Spanhour, who is one of the winningest High School Basketball Coaches in the history of NC High School Hoops.  He did most of his coaching career at West Stokes and coached Isaac (James older brother) who is now at Florida State before recently retiring. Dan Spainhour was also the former Director of Basketball operations at Florida State many years ago and has very close ties/friendship with Leonard Hamilton at FSU.  By the time his college career is over, don't be surprised if the big offensive tackle, James Spainhour, who Galax will face ends his career at Florida State as a transfer from William and Mary if he does well there.  The family has close ties to FSU.

West Stokes is 5-4 on the season but three of those loses are to NCHSAA football royalty. Galax won 27-7 last season but this isn't the Galax team from last season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reverse from last season and see the Vikings handle the Tide in Galax.

On a side note, West Stokes varsity baseball coach is Kirk Goodson. Son of Ed Goodson. Kirk was the head coach at Grayson County during the state championship run in 1997. 

On 10/26/2022 at 2:19 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Galax went to West Stokes and took care of business last year winning by about 2 or 3 touchdowns if I recall correctly.  This year, even though the bunch from around King, NC travels to Galax, it will be closer this year.  I got Galax by 7 to 10 points in this one.   If Galax turns over a bunch and isn't as mentally engaged as they should be, they could lose this game in a very close one, but I go with Galax by about 8 points. 

Spainhour- A popular and well known name around King, NC, and the western part of Stokes County. West Stokes has a huge offensive tackle named James Spainhour who is a senior and committed to William and Mary, but had an offer from Marshall as well.  His older brother Isaac is on the Florida State Seminole Basketball team and Isaac is the all time leading scorer in hoops in West Stokes High history.  James Spainhour, the big tackle who Galax will face is the nephew of Dan Spanhour, who is one of the winningest High School Basketball Coaches in the history of NC High School Hoops.  He did most of his coaching career at West Stokes and coached Isaac (James older brother) who is now at Florida State before recently retiring. Dan Spainhour was also the former Director of Basketball operations at Florida State many years ago and has very close ties/friendship with Leonard Hamilton at FSU.  By the time his college career is over, don't be surprised if the big offensive tackle, James Spainhour, who Galax will face ends his career at Florida State as a transfer from William and Mary if he does well there.  The family has close ties to FSU.

What number Spainhour kid? Went back and watched some of last years film and didn't see any offensive lineman that really stood out front  that game. Not trying to throw shade at him but just didn't see anything from last years film that stood out and he could've just had a off game.

#78 (he wore #56 last season). I don't believe he played in the Galax game last year. I think he missed the last couple of games with a foot/ankle injury. 

He's big and athletic. A standout on the basketball team as well.  I don't see him as an FBS player but he will do well at the FCS level at William and Mary. 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/12989577/James-Spainhour

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

#78 (he wore #56 last season). I don't believe he played in the Galax game last year. I think he missed the last couple of games with a foot/ankle injury. 

He's big and athletic. A standout on the basketball team as well.  I don't see him as an FBS player but he will do well at the FCS level at William and Mary. 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/12989577/James-Spainhour

Oh ok...like is said no one stood out front the line last year so I'm sure he didn't play

6 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I think we’re at the point in the season where Galax is going to find their stride and be lethal come post season. I’m sure losing to GW flipped a switch. Maroon Tide wins by 14.

hmmm flipped a switch, hard to flip a switch when all you do is run power and no semblance of a passing game.  nothing against galax but you guys don't have the skilled players of past years!

1 hour ago, Hard Hitter said:

hmmm flipped a switch, hard to flip a switch when all you do is run power and no semblance of a passing game.  nothing against galax but you guys don't have the skilled players of past years!

Changes have been made on offensive side of the ball so maybe that will help

1 hour ago, Hard Hitter said:

Well see about that. When the chips are down come playoff time in Region C, Galax will be tough to beat. Galax seems to rise to the occasion in the regional playoffs and in the west.  They have been so dominant it's probably best to just not pick against them until they actually lose. Even when it looks like a healthy GW and Grundy may be simply better teams this year, it's still best to just hold off on picking against Galax.

3 hours ago, Hard Hitter said:

Don’t look at me in that tone of voice. 

35-7 Galax. Not a good sign or happy face if you are in the rest of the class 1 west. Most teams just likely had an 'ole shi$" moment. Galax just seems to find another gear come playoff time. Galax, George Wythe, Grayson, Grundy, Patrick Henry, Honaker, Rye Cove....it's all going to be great fun over the next few weeks with some great matchups and close games looming.

One of the best games I'm looking forward to is Essex and Riverheads if both make it that far. Riverheads seems to have picked up the beatings a bit, and Essex looks like Class 1 King William 2021. 

6 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

35-7 Galax. Not a good sign or happy face if you are in the rest of the class 1 west. Most teams just likely had an 'ole shi$" moment. Galax just seems to find another gear come playoff time. Galax, George Wythe, Grayson, Grundy, Patrick Henry, Honaker, Rye Cove....it's all going to be great fun over the next few weeks with some great matchups and close games looming.

One of the best games I'm looking forward to is Essex and Riverheads if both make it that far. Riverheads seems to have picked up the beatings a bit, and Essex looks like Class 1 King William 2021. 

I dont think so! west stokes sucks its like beating Auburn or Bland. pump the breaks!!! grayson  will beat them next week!!

6 minutes ago, Hard Hitter said:

I dont think so! west stokes sucks its like beating Auburn or Bland. pump the breaks!!! grayson  will beat them next week!!

Don't think West Stokes is quite that bad but they didn't look very good last night.... speaking of beating bad teams, that is Grayson's season in a nutshell. They may beat Galax next week but it is still a fact they played a weak schedule and we'll see if that hurts them come playoff time. 

Just watched the game from last night. Galax looked the best they have looked all season. Held west stokes to 45 total offensive yards.  They added several new offensive sets with different blocking schemes . Then put the freshman at QB and Cox back at receiver - result four passing TDS with two of them going to Cox.  

playoffs is going to fun to watch

20 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Just watched the game from last night. Galax looked the best they have looked all season. Held west stokes to 45 total offensive yards.  They added several new offensive sets with different blocking schemes . Then put the freshman at QB and Cox back at receiver - result four passing TDS with two of them going to Cox.  

playoffs is going to fun to watch

Galax has themselves a future elite type player with that freshman QB.  HS football fans around Virginia will be aware of his name before it's all said and done.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:39 PM, Hard Hitter said:

After watching GW vs Galax and GW versus Grayson last night. Any given night each could beat the other. But I would give Galax the win over the other two 80% of the time.

GW Va Grayson was a good game - Grayson county dropped two long TD catches where the receiver was wide open. GW could run off tackle left all night but kept trying to be cute with other plays and kept going away from it when it was there all night. 

17 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

And apparently handled himself with much more class and self discipline than Radford’s…

Oh definitely...kid was cool as a cucumber...the radford QB was a complete jackass all night...I'm sure he is feeling bad today after losing to his former team for the 2nd straight year on the last play of the game

5 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Oh definitely...kid was cool as a cucumber...the radford QB was a complete jackass all night...I'm sure he is feeling bad today after losing to his former team for the 2nd straight year on the last play of the game

I thought the QB from Glenvar was a junior for some reason. Didn't know he was a freshman.  The QB for Radford had some issues/dust ups in basketball this past season as a sophomore in hoops early in the year.  I can assure you that Cormany in Hoops tolerates that behavior for about 1 second, then the kid will get checked fast. As for football and Crist, well, I don't know for sure.

I thought Galax looked invested for the first time since the Glenvar game to start the season. They played like their hair was on fire. The new offensive sets offer a lot of RPO options. Anything that can get the ball in AJ Ashworth hands more often can only benefit the football team. 

The big guy from West Stokes has to get quite a bit stronger or his FBS football career will be brief. 

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I thought Galax looked invested for the first time since the Glenvar game to start the season. They played like their hair was on fire. The new offensive sets offer a lot of RPO options. Anything that can get the ball in AJ Ashworth hands more often can only benefit the football team. 

The big guy from West Stokes has to get quite a bit stronger or his FBS football career will be brief. 

I watched this game yesterday on NFHS and was not impressed with Spainhour.  He's good for a High School lineman, but regarding playing Div 1AA ball/FCS, he looks more like a power forward in basketball/a basketballesk type frame compared to an offensive tackle strength.  Needs to hit the wait room for sure.