Auburn football

Cousin_Hoyt

13 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Even if Ridgeview is the 1 seed Graham or Ridgeview may lose before playing anyways but I don't see anyone beating either before they play

Very true! Either could get beat from now & at anytime in the playoffs. We’ve had lots of upsets  in SWVA so nothing is a given. One game at a time & play your best football each game or you might get canned. 

22 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

1 of them is playing Union in round 2. If I'm Graham or Ridgeview, I would want to avoid that, even if it meant traveling for game 3 in the region finals. Obviously, you play to win and neither Graham or RV is going to tank it in order to be the 2 seed, but if I'm a Graham fan and I finish 2nd, I would be happier avoiding Union in round 2 and traveling to RV for the Region title instead of playing Union in round 2 at home and then playing RV at home. Just my thoughts on it and they apply to Ridgeview also. 

I write this because come playoff time, I believe Union is the 1 team in the region that will be very close to RV and Grahams level, so if I'm Graham or RV, I would rather play 1 of those 2 opponents instead of playing both (2 out of 2 opponents). It's the 1 seed that will likely host Union in round 2. All I'm saying is...careful what you wish for.

I can see Union losing game 1 honestly.  5 freshman getting significant playing time seems like a disastrous recipe for the playoffs.  3 of them in the secondary so a passing team will pick them apart.  The future looks good but not this season

5 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I can see Union losing game 1 honestly.  5 freshman getting significant playing time seems like a disastrous recipe for the playoffs.  3 of them in the secondary so a passing team will pick them apart.  The future looks good but not this season

I can see them losing game 1 as well, but I can see them pulling a W in game 1 and/or 2 also. Ask a heavily favored Graham less than 24 months ago. When you can run the ball and run it well, you often find yourself in games against what is likely a better opponent that would win 7 out of 10 normally, but running the ball and cold weather often mix well. I've seen so many 7-3ish/6-4 teams do this over the years in the playoffs that I lost count. All of these teams had 1 thing in common. Run oriented, played pretty good D, and lost fairly close in the games that were Ls in regular season. Union lost to GC, Graham, snd Ridgeview. They lost a nailbiter to GC, and RV and Graham certainly were far from blowouts. Union is not as far behind Graham and RV as their final record would suggest going into the playoffs.

Don't think anyone is the dominant team or clear favorite this year.  Graham and Ridgeview should be 1 & 2 either way but the next 3 to 4 teams in whatever order they end are not that far apart and at this point with the inconsistent play of 1-6, it wouldn't be a surprise to see any of them playing late into November or going home early.  Wacky season this year. Hope to see a D team in Salem. 

On 10/27/2022 at 9:53 AM, SW_VA_boy said:

This is just more examples of the thought of 7 or 8 man football needing to become a thing.  And while I understand the point behind a 23 man cut off rule, there's still been schools that's played, and won, with under 20.  Narrows won the MED with 18 when Grayson was the largest A school in the state in the late 90s.  However, I'll secede the point, that is usually the exception to the rule. 

I'm fairly certain Narrows had less than than 20 in 98 and 99 when we went to the Region C finals both years??!! Two teams in the district were also above us in classification as well.