Question for Graham fans.

Real Sasquatch

I'm hearing that Graham may have gotten another transfer from Bland County who is eligible to play because of the situation with their team cancelling the season, that just set a new national powerlifting record for the 16/17 year old age group?  Somebody brought this up to me in conversation about football yesterday.  If this is true, Graham's lineplay is already outstanding and this could only be another added benefit.  Graham's line on both sides of the ball has been good all season, but has seemed to keep improving (in typical Graham fashion).  Anyway, can anybody confirm this?  I hear he may be a wrestler also.  Just curious.  

He & another player transferred right after the Bland program folded. He's been on team for several weeks now. Family relocated to Bluefield is my understanding from Bastian. The real question is if Bland has a team next year, do the two go back? 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

He & another player transferred right after the Bland program folded. He's been on team for several weeks now. Family relocated to Bluefield is my understanding from Bastian. The real question is if Bland has a team next year, do the two go back? 

Oh. o.k.  didn't know he has already been on the team.   I was under the impression that this was another kid from Bland that just started this week. I did hear that he set a national powerlifting record, though.  that's pretty impressive.

Glad the kids get to play somewhere since it wasn’t their fault program was shut down but wow the transfer portal really seems to be kind for you guys.  I think Union has had maybe 5 kids transfer in 10 years 

3 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Glad the kids get to play somewhere since it wasn’t their fault program was shut down but wow the transfer portal really seems to be kind for you guys.  I think Union has had maybe 5 kids transfer in 10 years 

Yeah, I think a few more transferred to other schools to play.

54 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I'm hearing that Graham may have gotten another transfer from Bland County who is eligible to play because of the situation with their team cancelling the season, that just set a new national powerlifting record for the 16/17 year old age group?  Somebody brought this up to me in conversation about football yesterday.  If this is true, Graham's lineplay is already outstanding and this could only be another added benefit.  Graham's line on both sides of the ball has been good all season, but has seemed to keep improving (in typical Graham fashion).  Anyway, can anybody confirm this?  I hear he may be a wrestler also.  Just curious.  

One wears 71, and the other wears 31. A third is supposedly coming in the spring. 

31 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Doubt it. They're G-Men now.

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Never been to bland, what options did they have?

Basically George Wythe, narrows or graham in Virginia. Bluefield or Princeton in WV.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Never been to bland, what options did they have?

Not many to be honest, about 5 schools within the area. I'll truly be surprised if they have enough to field a team next year. If so, I'm not sure they complete the season. I'm not sure what can be done to improve their chances of having a team. I know they have teams at the little league level because they play Graham teams but I'm clueless how to transition that into a solid HS program in a county that size. 

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Not many to be honest, about 5 schools within the area. I'll truly be surprised if they have enough to field a team next year. If so, I'm not sure they complete the season. I'm not sure what can be done to improve their chances of having a team. I know they have teams at the little league level because they play Graham teams but I'm clueless how to transition that into a solid HS program in a county that size. 

It's been a continuous battle for years. Hated to see it end. But at least the kids that still wanted to play were able to.

I didn't post this to have the "Graham recruits" folks come out in force.  I honestly just wanted to know about the kid, setting a national power lifting record is impressive.  Winning recruits itself, nobody needs to make calls, that's just ridiculous.  Parents make those decisions, not coaches.

9 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Agree but I know of some calls being made to get players to play there too...and don't think it don't happen

I can't agree or disagree with you because I don't know. But if you clean your own house you'd have just a good a shot as anyone else has to get them. They wanted to go somewhere. Why not us?

42 minutes ago, CPF said:

One wears 71, and the other wears 31. A third is supposedly coming in the spring. 

31 is an all around athlete, only a freshman. He's going to be really good. 71 is huge & strong. Wonder why he'd wait until spring? 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

If it means commuting over Grapefield, that's a hard no 😂

Travel that road everyday and no problems here. But those players that live there or down the road from here to Rocky Gap, its a short trip 

9 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

31 is an all around athlete, only a freshman. He's going to be really good. 71 is huge & strong. Wonder why he'd wait until spring? 

Not sure just what I was told.

2 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Travel that road everyday and no problems here. But those players that live there or down the road from here to Rocky Gap, its a short trip 

Forgot about Tazewell.Certainly another option depending on where you live.

1 minute ago, stu_bean said:

Living on Clearfork for sure would be a short drive, I can't stand all the curves over Grapefield but if you drive it all the time, I guess you get used to it. Speaking of, I heard golf course had been sold to Euphesia folks, going to make it a recreation area. Not sure if that's true. 

• GMan locked this topic