Thoughts on the John Battle program

Victory226

47 minutes ago, Victory226 said:

Another disappointing season for JB Football …how does it improve? 

1) Recruit your school.  Walk the halls and get those athletes out.  Hell, recruit Abingdon…get those kids that aren’t getting playing time.

2) A year round football culture has to be established.  Strength and conditioning program has to be established.

3) Pick an offensive identity and stick with it.  Open it up and throw and try to get athletes out for a fun offense.  Look at Lee…..JB absolutely can be Lee.  I’m not sure they have the culture and foundation to set up as a power running school.  I feel like that would be harder to pull off in the M7.

How many of your coaches are actually within the school? Some programs struggle by hiring coaches off the streets and many of which have kids playing. Also when the administration doesn't take it seriuosly then your program is already doomed. Not saying this is the case at Battle but I've seen it before.

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

1) Recruit your school.  Walk the halls and get those athletes out.  Hell, recruit Abingdon…get those kids that aren’t getting playing time.

2) A year round football culture has to be established.  Strength and conditioning program has to be established.

3) Pick an offensive identity and stick with it.  Open it up and throw and try to get athletes out for a fun offense.  Look at Lee…..JB absolutely can be Lee.  I’m not sure they have the culture and foundation to set up as a power running school.  I feel like that would be harder to pull off in the M7.

1) Too many athletes at JSB don't play football 

2) Its nonexistent, judging by the players on the field.

3) They started in a spread/gun Wing-T offense this season 

Imo find a way to be different offensively and defensively,  not gonna beat teams by doing what everyone else does

32 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Just reading the preseason write up didnt they do a better job of getting other athletes out this year?  The results may have not been there on their record but maybe it was a step in the right direction on that front.

I remember reading that as well,  a lot changes between August and November. 

27 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Guessing they lose several kids to nearby schools all the time and gain a few for baseball on occasion. 

Evan Hankins, John Battle’s sophomore Tennessee baseball commit, is originally from Tazewell. Not sure when they moved to Bristol of if baseball had anything to do with it, but he’s the second D1 baseball player that Tazewell missed out on having on their varsity team in the last few years. 

You have to start young. I remember Tom Turner at Appalachia would go to the coal camps and find kids out playing and give them footballs that's how a good program begins. As for now you got to bring the glory back to the game at the school hold off season meetings and walk the halls recruiting.