2D First Round: #8 Central @ #1 Graham

SwvaOG

51 minutes ago, Backpack said:

Why not Saturday instead of Thursday? 

Margin for error and preparation for round 2. If you are Graham, do you want less time to prepare for Union, or GC by playing Saturday, or do you want to play on Thursday in a game you feel you should win and have the extra day 2 days. I think this is exactly why there is this push (by the home team/higher ranked team) who gets to make the call. They are thinking about round 2 preparation, where they expect the competition to obviously be tougher.

Another thing is margin for error. It's not like the middle of the season where you can find a day or week to make it up. There's no margin for error on Saturday. Meaning....if you schedule on Saturday, if anything, any event or issue comes up, there's no choice but to play on Monday night against a team you feel you an beat anyway, BUT you now have only 3 days to prepare for round 2 on which you k ow the opponent is likely much tougher.

1 hour ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

Margin for error and preparation for round 2. If you are Graham, do you want less time to prepare for Union, or GC by playing Saturday, or do you want to play on Thursday in a game you feel you should win and have the extra day 2 days. I think this is exactly why there is this push (by the home team/higher ranked team) who gets to make the call. They are thinking about round 2 preparation, where they expect the competition to obviously be tougher.

Another thing is margin for error. It's not like the middle of the season where you can find a day or week to make it up. There's no margin for error on Saturday. Meaning....if you schedule on Saturday, if anything, any event or issue comes up, there's no choice but to play on Monday night against a team you feel you an beat anyway, BUT you now have only 3 days to prepare for round 2 on which you k ow the opponent is likely much tougher.

Good points.  Makes sense 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

Gridiron60, What does Graham return on the line of scrimmage next year?  

On 11/6/2022 at 9:47 AM, BBHoops_18 said:

Carter Lloyd

And Kaden Rotenberry. I'd imagine Omarri Hill will start as well.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:24 AM, Gridiron60 said:

I don’t know how far Graham will go this year but I think the difference between Graham & some other teams is Coach Palmer and his staff have those boys going into every game with a winning mentality. I think a lot of folks figured with the Seniors that Graham lost last year that Graham would struggle to fill the shoes of Turner-Bradshaw, Zach Blevins, Brody Meadows, etc.  The GMen of 2022 have risen to the occasion. 

Coaches have to create a winning culture, Tony Palmer has done that at Graham. He’s got a great mixture of knowledge guys on his staff.  Those boys would run through a brick wall for their coaches. They have them  at it all year long. They lived in the weight room during the off-season. I think the team is also reaping those benefits especially at the LOS.

Even with the loss of last year’s Senior class, the ones left have stepped up , “Winning Culture”. Football is as much a head game & physical game. When a team gets off the bus thinking they are going to lose, they will. If a team believes they will win (whether they do or not) , their chances are greatly improved, lol. 

While there will be losses.If Roberts steps up at quarterback next year Graham will be just as good. As long as Horton is building monsters the line will be fine. There is a kid that just set a state deadlift record I believe for his weight class. Wood, the kid that came from Bland. He could very well step in next year.

48 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If Central can maintain some long time-consuming drives and score while producing a few stops, then it'll be closer for sure.  Kicker might keep them in it for a bit.  If that don't happen,  look out.

I agree. It's just going to be incredibly tough to run on Graham.

16 hours ago, CPF said:

While there will be losses.If Roberts steps up at quarterback next year Graham will be just as good. As long as Horton is building monsters the line will be fine. There is a kid that just set a state deadlift record I believe for his weight class. Wood, the kid that came from Bland. He could very well step in next year.

Thought it was a National Record.