Parking lot issues

ImFromOutEast

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Doesn't Lee still fire their cannon?  I always though that was a good touch.  Ridgeview would do the wolf-howl after scores or big plays but don't seem to do that much anymore.  That was a perfect addition to a game up on the Ridge.

As for the train horn.  Who had it first?  Wasn't it Giles?  I know that everyone was copying it....Central had one during the Central/RV playoff game in 2021.  Of course Union had it and I've got my thoughts of their use of it.  Almost every game I've been to people are bringing those smaller air-horns.  Nothing like someone right behind you letting one off when you aren't expecting it.  Of course, if you really want noise....there is nothing better than the fans getting off their butts and actually yelling.  Nothing is a substitute for a loud and raucous crowd. 

I’m alright with train horns when the home team scores or makes a great play. The incessant blowing of it when the opposing team is on offense is a bit much. The handheld air horns are the worst in my opinion.  Just get the cow bells out & ringing and fans yelling! That’s a game atmosphere that can’t be beat! 

4 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Doesn't Lee still fire their cannon?  I always though that was a good touch.  Ridgeview would do the wolf-howl after scores or big plays but don't seem to do that much anymore.  That was a perfect addition to a game up on the Ridge.

As for the train horn.  Who had it first?  Wasn't it Giles?  I know that everyone was copying it....Central had one during the Central/RV playoff game in 2021.  Of course Union had it and I've got my thoughts of their use of it.  Almost every game I've been to people are bringing those smaller air-horns.  Nothing like someone right behind you letting one off when you aren't expecting it.  Of course, if you really want noise....there is nothing better than the fans getting off their butts and actually yelling.  Nothing is a substitute for a loud and raucous crowd. 

Gate City has used a train horn for years. I think way back in the day they used a whistle called the Big Blue Cannonball. 

I know Gate City’s Rescue Squad has used sirens on the ambulance when they scored. 

I know Lee High used one in 2015 or 16. 

During the Powell Valley days I recall an air raid siren being used. 

I'm a horn man! If I recall correctly from discussions read on here years ago, the issue with Union was complaints by opponents that the Union guy was blowing it literally when the opponent had the ball at the LOS, during the snap count. I have no idea if that's true, but I think that was the complaint.

Union should get the dang horn back in service and let it fire! Now, if there's any truth to the dude blowing it after the huddle breaks, then just get somebody trained up on how to use it. Every team needs a horn in my opinion (except James Monroe).

15 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I'm a horn man! If I recall correctly from discussions read on here years ago, the issue with Union was complaints by opponents that the Union guy was blowing it literally when the opponent had the ball at the LOS, during the snap count. I have no idea if that's true, but I think that was the complaint.

Union should get the dang horn back in service and let it fire! Now, if there's any truth to the dude blowing it after the huddle breaks, then just get somebody trained up on how to use it. Every team needs a horn in my opinion (except James Monroe).

That is 100% accurate.  I attended that last two Ridgeview games at Big Stone Gap and that absolutely was the case.  RV burned two timeouts and had a false start early in the last game.  In both contests they blew the horn while RV QB was trying to have the ball snapped all the way through the play on their first half drives.  Now, here is the kicker, they stopped doing that in the second half with Union up comfortably.  Perhaps someone complained or they didn't think they needed to anymore.  Union holds on as RV makes a second half comeback in both situations.  I'm not making an inference but I'm just stating the facts of the matter. 

I don't care about the horn but I do care about grown ass men deliberately skirting rules so a 15 year old QB can't call a play.  Call me old-fashioned but if you want to be really loud then have your fans get off their ass and yell and holler and ring the heck out of their bells or whatever...just abide by the rules and VHSL does have written rules on this.  The violation is actually a fine IIRC, which was odd.  In my opinion, just tell the operator to stay within the rules and re-install the horn. Now, I actually had someone from the Gap say that some of the locals that lived near the park were pretty tired of the horn and that it was being used too much.  I'm not sure about that but I'm sure some of them weren't big fans.    

57 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

That is 100% accurate.  I attended that last two Ridgeview games at Big Stone Gap and that absolutely was the case.  RV burned two timeouts and had a false start early in the last game.  In both contests they blew the horn while RV QB was trying to have the ball snapped all the way through the play on their first half drives.  Now, here is the kicker, they stopped doing that in the second half with Union up comfortably.  Perhaps someone complained or they didn't think they needed to anymore.  Union holds on as RV makes a second half comeback in both situations.  I'm not making an inference but I'm just stating the facts of the matter. 

I don't care about the horn but I do care about grown ass men deliberately skirting rules so a 15 year old QB can't call a play.  Call me old-fashioned but if you want to be really loud then have your fans get off their ass and yell and holler and ring the heck out of their bells or whatever...just abide by the rules and VHSL does have written rules on this.  The violation is actually a fine IIRC, which was odd.  In my opinion, just tell the operator to stay within the rules and re-install the horn. Now, I actually had someone from the Gap say that some of the locals that lived near the park were pretty tired of the horn and that it was being used too much.  I'm not sure about that but I'm sure some of them weren't big fans.    

Yeah. That’s not cool. 

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Now, I actually had someone from the Gap say that some of the locals that lived near the park were pretty tired of the horn and that it was being used too much.  I'm not sure about that but I'm sure some of them weren't big fans.    

Im sure if I lived nearby that id be thrilled to listen to that horn for 3 hours every Friday night. 

GCs and Giles horns added to the atmosphere, Unions was just obnoxious imo