Richlands @ Union

UnionGuy2017

25 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

A win would be great, but as for me I'd ike to see more available players get in the game for experience.  So everyone says Richlands is in a rebuilding year, how do you rebuild? Normally, you rebuild by getting inexperienced players into action on the filed, but alas it's not normal for Richlands to rebuilt, so the inexperienced players get the experience of sitting on the bench when only a select few (less than 15 total) players get in the game.  Rebuilding year? Yeah, got to learn how to properly sit on the bench and watch the game for the best experience.  Jut my opinion.  We have to have more than 13 to 15 players that are capably of actually getting on the field during games or we are in big trouble not only this year, but for years to come.

I agree with you in principle; however, in game 1 I didn’t pay enough attention to the number that played. That said, given the makeup of roster (only 5 seniors), the majority of those getting playing time are underclassmen that will be returning. 13-15 playing does seem a little low, but the majority are inexperienced. I guess for the the coaching staff, the question becomes is it better to prepare some really well, or prepare more players, but to a lesser degree. For what it’s worth, that decision would depend upon the talent gap between your first and second group of underclassmen.  The smaller the gap, the more players play. 
That answer is specifically geared to be rebuilding. As for rewarding efforts, I prefer as many players seeing the field and being involved as possible.

Just curious, is there still a limit to the number of varsity quarters an individual can play before they are ineligible for JV? The thought occurred to me for a follow up question. If not a star, are you better off playing more JV or being buried on the varsity roster? 

On 8/31/2023 at 2:37 PM, tornado99 said:

A win….otherwise, growth in the form of not being pushed around all night or intimidated. If beaten by better athletes, that’s understandable. Being pushed around is demoralizing.

Richlands is a very young team. I believe there is some good talent in the sophomore class in particular. If this young group improves throughout the season and sticks together, physical maturity and being battle-tested will pay future dividends. 

It’s safe to say, not a success. I still believe some will grow into a good football team if they stick together and keep working. That said, I believe Union is a very good football team, as usual. The Bears were simply bigger, faster, and stronger. I’d say Union and Graham would be a good matchup.

Edited by tornado99
Context

24 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

It’s safe to say, not a success. I still believe some will grow into a good football team if they stick together and keep working. That said, I believe Union is a very good football team, as usual. The Bears were simply bigger, faster, and stronger. I’d say Union and Graham would be a good matchup.

The lack of team speed for Blues was concerning. They just had no one that could threaten the Union athletes in space. 

Sad to see the pitiful turnout on the visitor's side.fans sitting quietly...SO UNLIKE what we are used to seeing at Richlands:( The kids played hard. They were just outmatched by a Union team which has the potential to be VERY good. The Union defense is nasty, and the QB looks so much more comfortable throwing the ball.

Speed is an area I often question the ability to improve and Coach. Does it really have much to do with coaching at all? Are the most successful programs that way primarily due to coaching or due to the inherent speed of the areas? Is it controllable? 

Union has a good culture, but speed is usually second to only Graham year after year. 

5 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Speed is an area I often question the ability to improve and Coach. Does it really have much to do with coaching at all? Are the most successful programs that way primarily due to coaching or due to the inherent speed of the areas? Is it controllable? 

Union has a good culture, but speed is usually second to only Graham year after year. 

I don’t think it does. Speed is seemingly natural, you either have it or you don’t. Richlands is severely lacking in it but there’s no way to fix that with coaching. You can make a fast guy faster but you can’t make a slow guy all of the sudden become a speedster. 

Union is usually blessed with some talented athletes so the speed is usually there. Some teams have a bit more, some a bit less, but their team speed is usually comparable to most opponents outside the upper echelon teams like Graham. 

Union looked well oiled tonight. The only big mishap was the fumble there early on. Other than that the biggest concerns were all of the penalties. (Block in the back, etc.)

Richlands looked dreadful. I honestly can’t point to one bright spot. 

Just now, BigWinners said:

I don’t think it does. Speed is seemingly natural, you either have it or you don’t. Richlands is severely lacking in it but there’s no way to fix that with coaching. You can make a fast guy faster but you can’t make a slow guy all of the sudden become a speedster. 

Union is usually blessed with some talented athletes so the speed is usually there. Some teams have a bit more, some a bit less, but their team speed is usually comparable to most opponents outside the upper echelon teams like Graham. 

I tend to agree, which is why I am always hesitant to blame coaches. That also explains my skepticism when it comes to results due only to work ethic, play calling, etc. They certainly help and are your only controllable variables. The Jimmies and Joes are usually blessings related to location (unless recruiting efforts are made). 

As far as fan support, right or wrong and discussed before, I don’t think many schools have better fans inherently with some variability among other places. Frankly, Richlands fans have experienced arguably more extremes of success and futility than most schools around. That explains the “fair weather fans” when compared to the heights. In other words a greater fluctuation is observed. If I recall correctly, Union hasn’t had a truly bad season since consolidation (.745 winning percentage). I think the on-field success does a great deal to explain fan support. In other words, the weather is almost always fair. On the flip side, Tazewell’s mediocrity also explains consistent support.

9 hours ago, tornado99 said:

As far as fan support, right or wrong and discussed before, I don’t think many schools have better fans inherently with some variability among other places. Frankly, Richlands fans have experienced arguably more extremes of success and futility than most schools around. That explains the “fair weather fans” when compared to the heights. In other words a greater fluctuation is observed. If I recall correctly, Union hasn’t had a truly bad season since consolidation (.745 winning percentage). I think the on-field success does a great deal to explain fan support. In other words, the weather is almost always fair. On the flip side, Tazewell’s mediocrity also explains consistent support.

Huh?

On 8/27/2023 at 8:27 PM, Bulldogs52 said:

I don’t see them scoring 6 unless they get an interception in the end zone again.

See people probably thought I was just being a dick with this comment. 

4 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

See people probably thought I was just being a dick with this comment. 

Only came close to scoring once, after a couple Union penalties. That offense struggled to gain anything all night long. QB is a tough kid tho, took a pounding and kept trucking.