Honaker vs Rye Cove

Gridiron60

16 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think a team that throws it can win it. I may be in minority opinion.  I think the sample size is too small to tell. Meaning......how many offenses in VA at the Class 1 or 2 levels have a pass first offense? It's just so uncommon and so rare that it's hard to say. Central, Poqouson, Clarke County, Appo, Riverheads, Draft, Union (heavy run offenses). Other than Appo above, those offenses are also borderline (don't throw it over 4 times a game-Uniin has changed this year though). Graham mixes it up more as well as Appo (kind of) and Radford. The King William team that won it through it way more that year than usual.

My take, looking at Graham, K.William, Appo with those titles and what makes them different? Run first, but not limited to the run. They could/can put it in the air and do it pretty well when they want. The others haven't been able to do it well enough to win a title. Got to go back to Giles in 2A to find a team that didn't throw it much.

Like it said hasnt done it does not mean cant do it. Ohio State hasnt won a championship under Ryan Day that does not mean they cant. I would love to see an air raid team win it all and with Riverheads out of the picture it might be a possibility. 

The fact with high school football is that if you practice most of your time throwing the ball around (which takes a lot of practice time to get good at) then running the ball and defending the run is usually a weak spot on your team and vice versa for teams that only run the ball. I hope Honaker can get enough stops on D to out score teams this season. I would be awesome to see them in Salem 

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

Like it said hasnt done it does not mean cant do it. Ohio State hasnt won a championship under Ryan Day that does not mean they cant. I would love to see an air raid team win it all and with Riverheads out of the picture it might be a possibility. 

The fact with high school football is that if you practice most of your time throwing the ball around (which takes a lot of practice time to get good at) then running the ball and defending the run is usually a weak spot on your team and vice versa for teams that only run the ball. I hope Honaker can get enough stops on D to out score teams this season. I would be awesome to see them in Salem 

Interesting that you brought up Ohio State and Ryan Day. I heard a good take on the radio discussing Ohio State as compared to Michigan and the importance of matchups. “Ohio State is built to win a national championship, Michigan is built to beat Ohio State.” The quote was directed at their comfort in a shootout, such as the playoffs, but Michigan has pounded Ohio State recently through physical play. However, Michigan performed very poorly in a shootout (TCU). That’s so much of what makes this game great. The playoff matchups, and even weather/field conditions in November and early December can have a huge impact on an otherwise talented team.

this should be a game for everyone in the Region 1D to watch. If Honaker can limit their penalties, mainly holding, and stay healthy, not cramp up in the second half, they should win. if one of the two happens or both, then Rye Cove will win. but my question is this. Can Rye Cove's defense be able to stop Honaker's Air Raid offense?

12 minutes ago, Tigers_07 said:

Can Rye Cove's defense be able to stop Honaker's Air Raid offense?

No, they can't, unless the mismatch on the DL of Rye Cove is so great it can just blow up plays and get big surges up front against the Honaker OL.  Rye Cove's front defensively is pretty good, but not superior to Honaker's front 5 or 6 where they can blow up plays.  Rye Cove is going to have a hard time stopping Honaker.  Rye Cove's best defense in this game against Honaker will be Rye Cove's rush offense (shorten the game/control/keep the clock rolling) and if your Rye Cove, you hope Honaker gets some holding calls that cause 2nd or 3rd and long yardage which can cripple that series/drive.

If SH wasn't coming to the Park, this is where I'd be.

Neither team has been challenged yet, and both look great on paper.

Honaker has had a few down and mediocre years latei, but you could tell they were building something last year.

Rye Cove has had some tough breaks the last decade or so, but turned the page last year in a story book way.

This game will be more about how far RC has come rather than how good Honaker is. We already know that Honaker is good!

Tigers take this one, but the closeness of the score will decide the Eagles' hopes for the rest of the season.