3. Union

4. Honaker 

5. Virginia High

6. Central

7. Abingdon

8. Marion

9. Battle

10. Chilhowie 

(Graham will be on here just no idea where to put them with so few games they’ve played)

On 12/31/2023 at 11:46 AM, Stelley said:

1. Gate City 

2. Lebanon

3. Union

4. Honaker 

5. Virginia High

6. Central

7. Abingdon

8. Marion

9. Battle

10. Chilhowie 

(Graham will be on here just no idea where to put them with so few games they’ve played)

I would start by putting Graham 1st, then add the other 9, or maybe GC 1, then Graham 2, followed by the other 8.

4 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I would start by putting Graham 1st, then add the other 9, or maybe GC 1, then Graham 2, followed by the other 8.

That’s probably what will end up happening just didn’t put them on here since they’ve only played like three games that I’ve see 

22 minutes ago, Stelley said:

That’s probably what will end up happening just didn’t put them on here since they’ve only played like three games that I’ve see 

And that makes sense.  Very few games so makes sense to me.  I still haven't watched Gate City.  I've seen Union and Lebanon and they are good, but I think Graham is 7-8 pts better.  Gate City, I have no idea.  I plan to watch them in the next week.  I haven't seen Honaker either, but hear they are very good.  

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

1. Graham

2. Gate City

3. Union

4. Lebanon

5. Honaker

6. Virginia High

7. Abingdon

8. Marion

9. Central

10. Battle

Sach, I may be wrong, but didn't Lebanon beat Union by 7 or 8 points? I could be wrong, but thought they did. Also, I think Honaker split beat Lebanon and Union and also lost to Lebanon and Union. Honakers most impressive game is a narrow loss to Carroll County and Carroll is darn good. These scores are Maxpreps though, so u know what that means. If the scores are correct, there's a decent argument for Honaker being in the top 3 in this poll and not 5th.

7 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Sach, I may be wrong, but didn't Lebanon beat Union by 7 or 8 points? I could be wrong, but thought they did. Also, I think Honaker split beat Lebanon and Union and also lost to Lebanon and Union. Honakers most impressive game is a narrow loss to Carroll County and Carroll is darn good. These scores are Maxpreps though, so u know what that means. If the scores are correct, there's a decent argument for Honaker being in the top 3 in this poll and not 5th.

Honaker girls almost beat Carroll not boys.

Honaker boys are 4-4 but have played a brutal schedule. 

30 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

And central also lost in ot to honaker and beat Union in ot and he has them at 7. Not saying they are better than either of those teams I just feel like they are definitely better than marion

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

You are probably right, I must have missed that.

8 hours ago, Stelley said:

And central also lost in ot to honaker and beat Union in ot and he has them at 7. Not saying they are better than either of those teams I just feel like they are definitely better than marion

Central also beat Va High.

2 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

I think it'll come down to Graham, Gate City for the regional title.  Lebanon, Union, VHS, Central, and Battle could possibly throw a wrench into the bracket and make a run.  It's a long season and should be fun to watch how it ends up.

I’ll agree that battle could throw a wrench in the bracket but they definitely don’t have a shot of making it to the state tourney

1 hour ago, Stelley said:

I’ll agree that battle could throw a wrench in the bracket but they definitely don’t have a shot of making it to the state tourney

I think the Region 2D Championship and State Bid could be represented by any of these two teams: 

Gate City

Graham

Lebanon

Central 

Virginia High

Union

Just basing it off the eye test so far. I don’t think anyone else can get any further over these squads. However, It will all be determined who is playing their best ball in February and who all is healthy. Should be a fun year in store for 2D

3 minutes ago, Wade_1 said:

I think the Region 2D Championship and State Bid could be represented by any of these two teams: 

Gate City

Graham

Lebanon

Central 

Virginia High

Union

Just basing it off the eye test so far. I don’t think anyone else can get any further over these squads. However, It will all be determined who is playing their best ball in February and who all is healthy. Should be a fun year in store for 2D

Does anyone know what the region bracket looks like?

won't be decided until district tourney is over I would imagine.  

Both #1s and #2s will be on opposite sides from each other?

swd1 vs m7-4

m7-2 vs swd3

m7-3 vs swd2

m7-1 vs swd4

don't keep up with basketball as much so I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's like football and has too many teams in it for extra revenue.  Might be just the top 8 records inside the district/region?

6 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

won't be decided until district tourney is over I would imagine.  

Both #1s and #2s will be on opposite sides from each other?

swd1 vs m7-4

m7-2 vs swd3

m7-3 vs swd2

m7-1 vs swd4

don't keep up with basketball as much so I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's like football and has too many teams in it for extra revenue.  Might be just the top 8 records inside the district/region?

I think typically SWD goes by regular season champ is #1, then tournament champion/tournament runner up if regular season champ also wins tournament is #2, third place game winner is 3 and third place game loser is 4.

Mountain 7 does regular season champ is #1, the other three is based on some kind of compilation between regular season finish and tournament finish since 3A Abingdon is also in the district.

1 hour ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Dead Horse:  Abingdon shouldn't have anything post-season inside the district.  All it does is flip the bracket no matter what the sport and changes regional pairings because of district tourney finish.  

Abingdon was excluded from the district tournament a few years ago if I recall and they got livid with it.  Or maybe that was baseball/softball.  It was one of the three sports I remember.

On 1/2/2024 at 9:40 AM, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

I think it'll come down to Graham, Gate City for the regional title.  Lebanon, Union, VHS, Central, and Battle could possibly throw a wrench into the bracket and make a run.  It's a long season and should be fun to watch how it ends up.

Agree.  It's Graham and Gate City and in my opinion, Lebanon, Union, Central, Battle all having a chance and maybe even Virginia High, but I would be surprised if it's not Graham and Gate City.  From what a Graham fan told me in the Graham vs Bluefield game, Graham has no seniors that start.  I didn't see the starting lineups and got there 2 minutes into the game, but that's what one of their fans said.  If it's true, you might see Graham go back to back in region titles.

11 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Agree.  It's Graham and Gate City and in my opinion, Lebanon, Union, Central, Battle all having a chance and maybe even Virginia High, but I would be surprised if it's not Graham and Gate City.  From what a Graham fan told me in the Graham vs Bluefield game, Graham has no seniors that start.  I didn't see the starting lineups and got there 2 minutes into the game, but that's what one of their fans said.  If it's true, you might see Graham go back to back in region titles.

Honestly unless the region is very week I'm not sure why Gate City is being considered at the top. I know it's early and I haven't seen anyone else being discussed, but GC is soft and struggles with more athletic teams that can speed them up. Again, it's early and they're not a finished product but I just don't see it at this time. 

I watched GC for first time last night. Graham's better by 6 to 7 points. The entire region is the worst for not just 2D, but also 2C that I've seen since the turn of the century, 23 years. Not only that, region 2B is turrrrrrible. Graham has had probably 8 or 9 teams, maybe more........that are better than this 2023 team since the year 2000, and this years Graham team has a very strong chance to play for a state title against the East, JM. The state of Virginia in Class 2 is that down this year. Worst I've ever seen in my lifetime or memory of HS basketball. This isn't hyperbole. I'm giving my opinion.

The best 3 teams in the state are from 1 region. JM, Greensville County, and Bruton, and if Brunswick wouldn't have dropped from Class 2 down to class 1, it would be 4 teams as 1,2,3, and 4th best from one region (Region A). P.S Floyd is the best in 2C, and they are right there with Graham, but they don't alarm you with the eye test either. 

4 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I watched GC for first time last night. Graham's better by 6 to 7 points. The entire region is the worst for not just 2D, but also 2C that I've seen since the turn of the century, 23 years. Not only that, region 2B is turrrrrrible. Graham has had probably 8 or 9 teams, maybe more........that are better than this 2023 team since the year 2000, and this years Graham team has a very strong chance to play for a state title against the East, JM. The state of Virginia in Class 2 is that down this year. Worst I've ever seen in my lifetime or memory of HS basketball. This isn't hyperbole. I'm giving my opinion.

The best 3 teams in the state are from 1 region. JM, Greensville County, and Bruton, and if Brunswick wouldn't have dropped from Class 2 down to class 1, it would be 4 teams as 1,2,3, and 4th best from one region (Region A). P.S Floyd is the best in 2C, and they are right there with Graham, but they don't alarm you with the eye test either. 

Hell I wouldn’t even wanna make it to state in 2a just to get embarrassed.  Honestly wish the team wouldn’t show up to play JM.  Only way anything will ever be done to fix that situation is vhsl losing money 

32 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Hell I wouldn’t even wanna make it to state in 2a just to get embarrassed.  Honestly wish the team wouldn’t show up to play JM.  Only way anything will ever be done to fix that situation is vhsl losing money 

I agree Duke, but the problem is, it's a different team playing them each year and each team has the thought of, 'this is our chance, win or lose, we made it to the title game and are runners up." If you had a situation like at Radford where Radfords players and coaches would have stayed/not retired and Radford loses 2 or 3 state titles in a row to JM and gets blown out, then by the 3rd or 4th go around, they say enough is enough and don't show up. But as long as we keep rotating teams, for example Radford or East Rock or Gate City or possibly Graham or Floyd this year, it will never end. You need one elite powerhouse from the West that is nearly a sure bet each year to play JM so they can lose and get tired of it, but the days of Gate City, Martinsville, and now Radford are about over.