hey pdfootballguy...carroll to the piedmont???

mhsalum

carroll county would have a great natural border rivalry with patrick county, and it's not a terribly long trip (in the neighborhood of an hour and a half) to any henry county school or martinsville....that much is true. BUT, on a school bus, it would be every bit of 2 hours to tunstall and may even push close to 2.5-3 hours to dan river...one way! i know they're already making long drives, but besides the pc-dan river trip, the piedmont is fairly tightly woven. if the piedmont was to allow carroll in, i could easily see dr (especially since they could possibly drop to single a there), and possibly tunstall, migrate back to the dogwood where they both ran off to for a few years in the mid-90s.

I'm just throwing out an idea. You mentioned Dan River and their enrollment. I don't see them staying AA too much longer either. Something needs to be done with the alignments, but what is the question. I personally thought that combining the 4 region sysetm into 2 would be a good way to go. Keep the eight playoff positions and seat the top by district championships and then power points the rest of the way. I think that would be the best plan because realigning districts have quite a few ups and downs and flaws. Either way it goes, somebody isn't going to like it and I really doubt anything happens any time soon. smirk.gif

Pdfootballguy, you and the other young whippersnappers on here are to young to recall but twice over the last 6-8 years when the VHSL has proposed anything having to do with Carroll moving to the Piedmont they have petitioned to stay in the SWD. I don't think that they wanted to make that trip up and down the mountain on that 2 laned curvy road and I can't say that I blame them. I know the trips to Grundy and Richlands are long but the roads(I-77 and 460) are much better to travel on than 58! When the Piedmont first joined region4 and again when talks began to combine the SWD and the Highlands districts there were proposals made to put Carroll in the Piedmont but their administration didn't want to move based on the travel problem. That is why when MV has gone on the road to SWVA to play regional games more times than not they go thru Roanoke rather than go up and down the mountain, school adminstrators are very leery about those buses coming back down the mountain. Also it might not be bad traveling for the football team maybe having to come to Patrick,Henry and Pitts. Co. for games 3-4 times a year but when you factor all of the others sports teams in...well lets just say I can see why they would want to stay where their at!

They should use SWD ref's then like everyone else, I hate to get involved in that sort of talk, but 88wave and some of the others had a point about that on the old board, although it was driven into the ground.

If they are in, they should go by the same rules as everyone else, if they are going to use Piedmont refs for the games, they should go be in the Piedmont district. I'm sure you can go to a lot of other schools in the same time period it would take them to travel to Grundy or Richlands. If you combine the Highlands and SWD, CC is not needed and should not be included, and I don't think that the basis for what the other schools want to do should give much weight to what CC thinks. If all the other schools agree, then it should be done regardless of if CC likes it or not.

PDman, I'm hearing you on those bus rides, god they can get pretty bad going up that mountain. I guess I didn't think about how many actual times they would be going up and down it in a year. Everybody seems to want change but I haven't really seen a good plan yet! What do you think will be done if and when the PD lose FC and LP next year and Dan River drops to A due to enrollment? That is going to take two teams away that are usually on the low end of the pole so is it really going to make that big of a difference?? I think in the end the PD is just going to have two huge schools that are PD powerhouses in about everything if they can merge well. I can see where the guys in Region 3 are coming from with some really good teams not making the playoffs but what are they going to say if Region 4 gets an up year and they are on a down year?? I like things how they are now but if they had to change I've definitely got some opinions as to what they should do and this post would get too long if I had to do that. Oh did you hear what the fans in Hillsville are saying. They'll spot up 24 and still win!?!?!?! that's a little arogant if you ask me!

In regards to CCFootball04, it was my understanding that Carroll County decided against joining the River Ridge district when they saw who was going to make up the district. I'm not trying to start anything, but I'm pretty sure that they decided to hold off for the time being and stay in the Southwest (which worked out well for them this year).

yeah i am from carroll and i play sports the bus ride sux....i really don't care what happens w/ the districts just cause i am graduating this year so whatever happens doesn't effect me...who exactly said we would spot up 24 and still win...just wondering?..i know that everyone around here knows that it will be a close game and that's just why i was asking who said that?

With the construction on 58 that roads not that bad of a trip.... I know this because I have traveled it many many many times in the past and recently(I drive it everyday to work).. I would much rather drive from Henry Couny to Carrol.. than Carrol to Grundy.. you have to go over Shorts Gap mountain traveling to Grundy.. even though its a four lane road that mountain is almost as bad... and its takes a whole lot longer to even get to that mountain.. the buses these days are mostly automatics and have alot more power than those old manual ones... Saying that lovers leap mountain is to dangerous is just an excuse..... because they have no other excuse to give not to try to move to the piedmont district.. i have made all the trips mentioned above and I believe that those times are a bit longer than it would actually take... My point is.... Stop saying Lover's leap (Rt58) is such a bad and dangerous drive... The fog is really bad up there sometimes but not all the time... some of you all are making it sound like the bus drivers are going to be drunk or something... that's their job and i think they could handle it and the kids would be home alot earlier after games to take care of their homework.... remember!!! they arent called STUDENT-athletes for nothing.. Damn if you cant drive on a road that has a few curves and up a mountain.. STAY HOME!!! Please quit giving this excuse and come up with a better reason not to join the Piedmont District.. Better yet give one good reason you should be in the SWD... and not another district closer to Carrol County High School.

It was never said on any of the message boards but there were some people from Magna Vista in Hillsville earlier this week and while in certain places that's what they were being told by fans. I don't know of any players who have said this but the fans were very disrespectful. The same thing happened when the MV volleyball team went to play Richlands. Everybody at Richlands kept saying how bad they would beat us. I just think it's very disrespectful to say that about a team who, counting this year, has been to the Region Championship 4 times in a row and won 2 out of the last 3 and won their district the last 4 years.

I personally have not heard any of our fans making comments like that. Most of the folks that I have spoken with know that it is going to be a hard fought game, and that we cannot afford to take anyone lightly. Given the fact that we are going to have to play on the road again, I wouldn't imagine that we would even be picked to win, much less win by 24. I know that MV has an excellent program, and I am hoping to go to the game and see both teams play well. Regardless of the outcome of the game, both teams have had successful seasons. Regarding the discussion about changing districts, if we joined any district there would be both pros and cons. The Blue Ridge would involve a lot of travel on I-81 towards Roanoke. Personally, I would rather travel in the opposite direction as the traffic is not as bad. 81 and 581 around Roanoke can get pretty interesting at times.

I was wondering if the schools actually pick what district the officials come from, or if it is based on cutting the official's travel time as much as possible. I would imagine that the scheduling of officials would be done throught the VHSL. I know that there have been a lot of comments about officiating on the previous board, but I can assure you we have had our share of "questionable" calls as well. Given our location, it may be easier to get officials from the Piedmont district but I don't think we gain any sort of advantage from that. I have had folks ask if I was interested in doing some officiating, (which I'm not) which leads me to think it may be difficult for the VHSL to find enough folks to do the job. I understand people's frustrations with officials but if you think about it, its hard to watch a college or pro game without a dispute of some sort. I don't think it is a given school getting an advantage, but just the nature of the game.

[ QUOTE ]

Given our location, it may be easier to get officials from the Piedmont district but I don't think we gain any sort of advantage from that.

[/ QUOTE ]

and all I was trying to say is that perhaps you would be better off IN the Piedmont district? If you guys have to get your ref's from there, then maybe that is the best place for you to play...seems to be that you have a philosophically incorrect argument that you need to stay in the SWD because of travel times and roads you would have to travel to switch to the Piedmont, then you guys turn around and say you need to get ref's from the piedmont because the travel time is too much for using SWD ref's?

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

CavDad, this may have been just some people talking out of their you know what but it was definitely said. I didn't want to stereotype all Carroll County fans as being disrespectful and egotistical so I refrased alot of what I was actually thinking. Thanks for clearing that up even though there appear to be some uninformed people who think this is going to be a cake walk. It is going to be an excellent game between two schools that "deserve" to be in the Regional Final. Carroll County definitely earned their right to be in the playoffs this year and I'm glad that Magna Vista gets a chance to play them. As I have said in previous posts I won't be able to be there. It's finals week up here and I'm bogged down with plenty of fun stuff!!! wink.gif but good luck to both teams. Have a safe trip from Hillsville down to Ridgeway!!

I'm not even sure the officials that have been at our home games are from the Piedmont, but if they are it could be based on their travel times, as coordinated through the VHSL. I was not trying to say that we need to stay in the SWD, or move to another district, etc. There are folks other than myself that will make these decisions if changes are made. I like our present district setup, but it does make some long trips, especially to and from Grundy. (For both teams) It will be interesting to see what changes occur in the next few years. My point was that I don't think we would specifically request officials from the Piedmont, but they may be assigned based on their location, travel, etc. I do not think that we would or could keep SWD officials from calling our games. I had mentioned the Blue Ridge district in an earlier post, and that I preferred to travel the other direction, but that is a personal preference. Whatever district we may end up in, or if we continue in the same one, we will travel, and support our teams.