Bluefield adds William Campbell to sked for 2007

Bluefield_Rules

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to keep Honaker on the schedule, only because that series generates a lot of $$$ for both programs. This opinion is purely motivated by economic concerns, not football. Folks from Richlands and Honaker interact on a more or less daily basis, and any relationship that financially benefits both communities needs to be preserved, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the Honaker game has a sponsor (EMATS) and their fans continue to pack Ernie Hicks Stadium I don't think the series will ever end. They are an historically strong program anyway. There is no shame in playing them.

Gate City and Powell Valley are great opponents who are very comparable to Bluefield IMO and the HS football atmosphere at those places is outstanding.

Richlands apparently tried to schedule games with Cave Spring and Martinsville but they fell through. I personally would like to see a series with Magna Vista but I guess that can't be worked out either. I'm not against playing Bluefield if they can work something out. It's just, like I already said, the "put up or shut up, run and hide" routine turns me off.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

This isn't going to go over very well, but I'm not convinced that Bluefield represents the best potential competition for us right now. I understand that you guys are in a real pinch in terms of trying to put together a 10 game slate, and I am sympathetic. But this "highest and best" argument is more than a little bit one-sided.

Expansion of the SWD leaves us with only four slots for non-district games. I would like to keep Honaker on the schedule, only because that series generates a lot of $$$ for both programs. This opinion is purely motivated by economic concerns, not football. Folks from Richlands and Honaker interact on a more or less daily basis, and any relationship that financially benefits both communities needs to be preserved, IMO.

Personally, I'd love to see us round out the schedule by picking up a couple other Division 3 schools within Region IV (who we might encounter again in the playoffs) and maybe another Roanoke or Lynchburg area school within Region III.

Unless it's been changed (and that is a possibility), the Virginia playoff system doesn't recognize out-of-state opponents in the power rating calculation. Consequently, it's in our best interests overall to play a slate of Virginia opponents. Also, given VHSL classification cycles, any agreement would have to be based on an even number of years (so a 2-for-1 isn't possible to begin with).

If the AD's from our schools can work something out, that's cool. But this idea of any kind of "area unity" that somehow includes Richlands and Bluefield is a myth. A very benign and well-intentioned one, mind you, but a myth nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 - Bluefield would be good competition for Richlands because they provide something that only one other team on their schedule provides...and something they will definitely see once they get deeper into the playoffs...SPEED. Playing against speed will prepare them for later.

#2 - Sure expansion of the SWD "only" leaves you with four non-district games. Keep Honaker. You still have three spots to fill...why not fill one of them with the BEST competition you don't already have on the schedule.

#3 - PIPE DREAM...Roanoke/Lynchburg schools ARE NOT going to travel to Richlands to play a regular season game. Hell, they complain when they have to come up here for a playoff game.

#4 - Wrong. VA recognizes ALL out of state PUBLIC SCHOOLS in their rating system. Bluefield is considered to be a AA, Division 3 school in the VHSL's rating system. Also, odd number games/series may be scheduled...only drawback is you may be short a game or have a hard time replacing a game when the "odd year" series expires...unless you renew the contract for another "odd-year" series.

#5 - And personally, I don't believe that Richlands wants anything to do with Bluefield...just my opinion....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I've had a somewhat crazy thought in recent months, bluefield should seek membership in the msac, the schedule would even out without the likes of the martinsburg, william cambell, richlands, hypothetically, caliber teams not on their schedule, and teams such as the mavs are often better than some of the msac teams bluefield would schedule in their place. Certainly not all are parkersburg caliber teams every season. princeton could and would remain because of the msac, then they could schedule graham and mount view as their longtime tradtional rivals. Those are the 3 main games you don't every expect bluefield not to have.

Hard schedule for certain, but really any more or less than some of the schedules they have in some seasons already? they'd have slightly more leeway as for points in the playoffs because of a most aaa schedule, so in my opinion even a 5 - 5 team with some quality victories would likely have them in the aa playoffs, and in a lot of seasons they do better than that anyhow.

Somewhat unorthodox idea, but that's a mute point.

? is would the msac have bluefield.,,,,....

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield can't join the MSAC as a AA team...they would have to move up to AAA...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why couldn't Bluefield join the "Cardinal Conference"? With the likes of Poca, Wayne, Herbert Hoover, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad idea...except for a TON of travel and expense...especially for the non-revenue sports (ie. everything but football and basketball)

Has Bluefield ever contacted Giles, or vice-versa? That series makes perfect sense.

In recent years, Giles has played Martinsville, William Campbell, William Fleming and I think Western Guilford from North Carolina. Bluefield is little more than a half-hour away and both teams are usually strong and have good fan support.

I'm not positive about this, but Bluefield might even get AA points in WV for playing Giles.

The AA schools in the River Ridge or Blue Ridge really don't need to play Bluefield to fill out a schedule because they have enough schools closer to them.

Blacksburg and Christiansburg don't bring fans anyway. I know back in the 80s and 90s when Tazewell and Richlands used to play both, it was always one-sided from an attendance standpoint.

[ QUOTE ]

what's the reason they couldn't though, it seems that would be up to the msac. I know it's a aaa conference though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered your own question...because the MSAC is a AAA CONFERENCE. And I really doubt they are looking to "expand" anymore as they already have 16 or 17 schools in the conference. Best thing for the MSAC to do is split into two "divisions"...

Speaking of Conferences...Bluefield is in a Conference already...THE COALFIELD CONFERENCE. However, NONE of the other members of the CC want to play Bluefield in football (or basketball for that matter).

I've mentioned it on several occassions on this message board before...Bluefield, James Monroe, and Mount View may find themselves on the outside looking in on a AA football conference in Southern WV, making it near impossible for any of them to schedule a 10-game season without having to travel long distances for games, schedule Class A schools, or play schools from other states.

You all need to wake up and do something because it is going to happen in the near future...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I asked this question on Tri-State Preps, but in case no one sees it over there...

Who does Bluefield have on the schedule for next year???

Graham, Princeton, Mount View, James Monroe, Herbert Hoover (?), Shady Spring (?), Oak Hill (?), Scott (?), William Campbell (?/!)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham, Princeton, Mount View, James Monroe, Shady Spring, William Campbell, and Scott for sure. I was told that the W.C. game put Bluefield back at only 8 games again. I know Grundy dropped us and so did someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure Herbert Hoover isn't on the schedule for next season??? I swear I remember listening to the radio announcers during the Beaver/Hoover game this year say that the two teams have signed a contract to continue the series...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I asked this question on Tri-State Preps, but in case no one sees it over there...

Who does Bluefield have on the schedule for next year???

Graham, Princeton, Mount View, James Monroe, Herbert Hoover (?), Shady Spring (?), Oak Hill (?), Scott (?), William Campbell (?/!)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham, Princeton, Mount View, James Monroe, Shady Spring, William Campbell, and Scott for sure. I was told that the W.C. game put Bluefield back at only 8 games again. I know Grundy dropped us and so did someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure Herbert Hoover isn't on the schedule for next season??? I swear I remember listening to the radio announcers during the Beaver/Hoover game this year say that the two teams have signed a contract to continue the series...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure, which is why I didn't mention Hoover. I would think that Hoover would want to renew the series with Bluefield.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

This isn't going to go over very well, but I'm not convinced that Bluefield represents the best potential competition for us right now. I understand that you guys are in a real pinch in terms of trying to put together a 10 game slate, and I am sympathetic. But this "highest and best" argument is more than a little bit one-sided.

Expansion of the SWD leaves us with only four slots for non-district games. I would like to keep Honaker on the schedule, only because that series generates a lot of $$$ for both programs. This opinion is purely motivated by economic concerns, not football. Folks from Richlands and Honaker interact on a more or less daily basis, and any relationship that financially benefits both communities needs to be preserved, IMO.

Personally, I'd love to see us round out the schedule by picking up a couple other Division 3 schools within Region IV (who we might encounter again in the playoffs) and maybe another Roanoke or Lynchburg area school within Region III.

Unless it's been changed (and that is a possibility), the Virginia playoff system doesn't recognize out-of-state opponents in the power rating calculation. Consequently, it's in our best interests overall to play a slate of Virginia opponents. Also, given VHSL classification cycles, any agreement would have to be based on an even number of years (so a 2-for-1 isn't possible to begin with).

If the AD's from our schools can work something out, that's cool. But this idea of any kind of "area unity" that somehow includes Richlands and Bluefield is a myth. A very benign and well-intentioned one, mind you, but a myth nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 - Bluefield would be good competition for Richlands because they provide something that only one other team on their schedule provides...and something they will definitely see once they get deeper into the playoffs...SPEED. Playing against speed will prepare them for later.

#2 - Sure expansion of the SWD "only" leaves you with four non-district games. Keep Honaker. You still have three spots to fill...why not fill one of them with the BEST competition you don't already have on the schedule.

#3 - PIPE DREAM...Roanoke/Lynchburg schools ARE NOT going to travel to Richlands to play a regular season game. Hell, they complain when they have to come up here for a playoff game.

#4 - Wrong. VA recognizes ALL out of state PUBLIC SCHOOLS in their rating system. Bluefield is considered to be a AA, Division 3 school in the VHSL's rating system. Also, odd number games/series may be scheduled...only drawback is you may be short a game or have a hard time replacing a game when the "odd year" series expires...unless you renew the contract for another "odd-year" series.

#5 - And personally, I don't believe that Richlands wants anything to do with Bluefield...just my opinion....

[/ QUOTE ]

i keep expecting richlands to sign.....i don't think the swd will offer any more competition next year than it did did this year so i definitely think the competition is needed ....bluefield is close, and they should be good every year, so let's get it on!!

Maybe Bluefield,Mount View,and James Monroe should apply for membership to the Southwest District lol. I know realistically I've got a better chance of winning the lottery then that happening,and I don't even play the lottery,but if it were to happen it would be interesting to see.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could drag this out, but there's really no point to it.

Bottom line is that this matchup doesn't mean nearly as much to Richlands as it does to Bluefield. If it makes Bluefield folks feel better to assume that the Blues are dodging the Beavers, that's perfectly fine with me.

This proposed series just isn't going to happen. And to paraphrase the Cranberries, there's really no need to argue about it.

I do appreciate the correction on point #4, BTW. I thought that the VHSL had tweaked the rating system, but I wasn't positive.

"Bottom line is that this matchup doesn't mean nearly as much to Richlands as it does to Bluefield. If it makes Bluefield folks feel better to assume that the Blues are dodging the Beavers, that's perfectly fine with me."

You're assuming a lot about the bluefield program and their fans from a few jabs on a message board by some posters. These jabs are about the caliber schedule they opt to have regardless of whether it's bluefield or any other quality program they're not scheduling anyhow.

Bluefield's been a top program for decades, they don't have to have anything nor prove anything through richlands, you seem to focus on some point as if they do rely on richlands as much as I'm focusing on the simple idea that bluefield would enjoy seeing a 10 game schedule, and they still only have 8 as of now. That's all richlands could do for bluefield, fill their scheduling voids.

If I didn't know better I'd guess that 2 seasons of success have gone to some programs heads. I could be wrong overall though.

But I will write that richlands fans have a lot to be proud of from their recent success and congrats to them on that. Sincerely.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm focusing on the simple idea that bluefield would enjoy seeing a 10 game schedule, and they still only have 8 as of now. That's all richlands could do for bluefield, fill their scheduling voids.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a completely valid point and I agree 100%.

My interjection into this discussion was motivated primarily by the "put up or shut up" posts and those along the lines of why Richlands won't schedule better quality opponents.

I'm old enough (and have been following Richlands football long enough) to know that our success is a very recent phenomenon. Besides that, there is no reason to expect that Richlands will be a powerhouse on an annual basis. I would hope that knowledge would disqualify me from the swollen head crowd.

It's all good either way.

Cheers.

I know what you're sayin richlands alum, overall I can agree with your reasons as well,

Sometimes all of us, myself as much as anyone, put to much stock in some comments on a message board, painting with a borad brush and all. I really have to quit thinking of a lot of these things in a personal way. This season, high school and college, on this message board and another, has really brought out an argumenative side of people and topics more than ever. I'm just as guilty and should be more reserved.

William Cambell has more speed than any team west of Richmond, and that includes both Virginias. They run the spread the WV runs, and have speed at all skill positions. They also have a very big, strong line, and a very aggressive defense. Cedric Peermans younger brother Stanley returns in the backfield, Baron Adams returns as a duel threat QB. Some good recievers I remember are Aric Nowlin,and Devon Boyd. WC is tough. It should be an interesting matchup.