Early predictions on the Graham/Beaver game

GMen

Who will have the advantage? Both teams have quality players, but there's always players that just take control over the game in this matchup..Any opinions

I'm going to say Bluefield, surprise huh? Both teams return key players and both teams will have lost key players. Not having Bradshaw will be a huge adjustment for Graham next year and with the game being the season opener Bluefield has the advantage. It'll probably be another tight, close Beaver/Graham classic.

I'll be interested to see a Graham offense again without Bradshaw in the backfield. Who will be the play maker that Bradshaw has been? Who will make the key play when it needs to be made? The Henry kid is talented, but he isn't in Bradshaw's league. Then again, who is?

I say the G-Men simply because you will not have have to focus on one player everyone knew that Bradshaw was going to get the ball now you have Henry, Napper and some of those young players that are going to make plays on both sides of the ball. With a player like Henry running the ball you better watch out because he's got speed and power not to mention what Napper and Henderson can do with the ball, so get ready for a show.

I don't really see how losing Bradshaw and having to rely on young kids to step up gives Graham an advantage. The young kids, outside of Henry, are unproven in the big-time atomsphere of a Beaver/Graham game. Are they capable of stepping up? I'm sure some of them are. Have they proven they can step up yet? Nope. As such the advantage at this point goes to Bluefield b/c of experience. I'm sure this will go back and forth the entire summer, so get ready folks...lol

Outside of Henry in the backfield will be Henderson with experience and Napper with experience and all can play in the Graham/Beaver atmosphere. Young Players will come in and step up Bluefield has no young skilled players like the G-Men does, which young player on Bluefield can you compare to Steven Brown? I don't see any! Your going to see what i mean come August. Another thing who are the receivers for Bluefield this season? None that's going to be a threat from what i recall. GO G-MEN!

since i have been reading this message board i have always had respect for you but to say that you are not going to get into a "p" contest you already did that by saying that the young kids at graham have not played in a game like graham bluefield well for one thing a lot of them played in a game that was just as big the graham gretna game. a few had to step up in that game and play for kids that were hurt in the game and it was a very big game and even though we lost the kids did very good so they do have some big game experience but like you said it is only may and we have a long way to go until august but never count out graham, i hope that bluefield does though then they will get caught by the gmen and their young kids.

Get real. Do you honestly believe any football player at Bluefield is going to overlook or count out Graham? Beaver/Graham is the biggest game those kids will ever play in, even bigger than the state title games. So if you think they're going to overlook the game or whatever then you know nothing about the rivalry.

And I didn't count out Graham. The poster asked for opinions and I posted mine. I'm sorry that you do not agree. I believe if you'll re-read my first post in this thread you'll see I said it would most likely be a tight, close game. So please get off the he's "counting out Graham" trip b/c it doesn't fly. This reminds me a lot of last year when I said Graham would be hurting b/c they had to replace four or five offensive linemen and Graham fans jumped my junk all summer.

Who will win? Who knows, but I think it will be one heck of a game. Maybe the best ever, and that covers a lot of ground. Somehow I think a kid by the name of Bobby West figures into all of this. Bobby who? You will see come August. Personally, I think we will be fine. I know that Ahmad is leaving, but it was real easy to stand around and watch him at times the last few years. We don't have that option this year. We will be a team. Bluefield did not lose that much, but what they did lose was quality. Can they replace that? It will be interesting to see. If the Graham sophomores step up like Bovenizer and Henry did last year, then yes we can win, but who knows. But if Bluefield wins this year they better enjoy it. It may be a while before they get another.

i said i hope that bluefield overlooks graham not that they would. most people are counting graham out because we lost bradshaw and a lot feel that graham does not have anyone to replace him. and that is what i hope that all teams do have the opinion that without bradshaw graham is not a good team. if teams do that then graham will suprise many teams. i do not expect coaches of the teams to let their teams do that. so do not get your shorts in a wad thinking i said that the blfd wv team will overlook graham. people got all over graham fans here when we defend graham and i will continue to defend my school just like i expect you to but as far as for me i do not take what people say personal it is just their opinion and for the most part i do not know who they are and they do not matter to me in the long run. as for you i had respect for you but with your comments now about me getting real and how graham fans jumped you last year over your opinion well maybe you need to develope a thicker skin and not worry so much what others opinions are because in the long run that is what they are a persons individual opinion. not one time in my post did i have anything bad to say about you unlike you telling me to get off my hes counting graham out trip because i did not say that you are counting graham out but that i hope that is what others do next season. so please get away from your thought that everyone from graham is against you they just reply to statements that you make and defend their school just like you do and others from blfd wv do as we all should. i expect nothing less from each fan base.

I didn't say everyone from Graham was against, and if they were it wouldn't make a difference to me. I was stating that this discussion about Graham's lack of experienced playmakers was shaping up much like the discussion prior to last season about Graham's lack of experience on the line. Both of which were and are true. There's a difference between just playing in a game and being ask to significally contribute in a game by making plays.

I don't know why anyone would count Graham out after the past three season they've had. Graham is still the favorite in the SWD, regardless of what anyone else has. They've owned the teams in that district for a countless number of years now and why is there reason to think that'll change this year? Graham will most likely be the best team on Bluefield's schedule again this year. Beckley could take that honor, depending on how much they improve from last season.

AHHH...Isn't high school football great!!! Just wish I could get to Mitchell Stadium to see more GHS/BHS games!! I predict a very close game with Graham coming out on top! No particular reason why..just loyalty to the old alma mater!! Keep up the good work on this board for us out of state folks!!!

Exactly what I have been wondering for months now. Everyone says Graham will be just as good. How? They lose someone who was 90% of their offense and playmaker on defense. You just dont go on like nothing happened. It will take a long time before someone with those numbers comes along. Bluefield wins this one. Its low scoring. Bluefield 21 Graham 10

the young linemen that had to step up and play against grundy in the playoffs and against gretna did step up and make the plays that were asked of them i know this because the two of them that i know one is my son and another was a junior that had not got to play much and in both they played from the 2nd quarter to the end of the game and did what was asked of them. now as far as my son i feel that he could have done much better but that is because i am a lot harder on him than i am others. but still he made the blocks and did very good on the pass blocking and he had not played a lot during the last couple years because of the kids that were there.

you might be right about the end of the game but graham has a lot of talent still in the backfield and a very strong sophmore class for next season and they should not lose much with the loss of bradshaw just that the yardage will be devided among several backs and ends not just the one like last several years.the young kids that played against grundy in the playoffs did very good against a very talented group of kids from grundy and they are back next year and some are bigger and stronger and faster as linemen. i will not say that graham will beat grundy or beaver but like i said no one should take it for granted that because bradshaw is no longer there that graham will be a pushover. it will just take more effort from the kids that are there.

We are Graham, we don't rebuild we reload!!!!! We will be just fine even without Ahmad. He got all those stats because he is just that great. Believe it or not Graham had one heck of a football program prior to Ahmad's arrival in high school. And we will after he graduates also. We aren't handing Bluefield or Grundy anything. If you wish to think we won't have nothing by all means go ahead. But if we sneak up on you come October, don't say I didn't tell you so.And by the way, the Beavers didn't lose a whole lot numbers wise, but they lost a heck of a lot of quality. Should be a great game...........

Here we go the dookie vs marcum wars again lol. I never said anything about Grundy vs. Graham. I said that I picked Bluefield to beat Graham. Doing some prognosticating. SNeak up on us? Hows that? YOu all beat us last year both times you are the favortie. Nobody will sneak up on us we know whate veryone is capable of . Hell we got beat by Carroll County. Trust me we dont take anyone for granted. I didnt even say we were gonna beat you all. Trying to turn this into a he said she said thing againt aren't ya dookie? lol. Well this year I dont say anything. Everyone knows you think Graham will win and everyone knows I have my brothers at Grundy and will be rooting for them. I dotn knwo about you but im just ready for the teams to hit the field. I am not gonna argue with you this year. I have only one interest and thats the recruitment of my brother. I will talk with you but no petty arguing. Now if you wanna talk about my New England Patriots then you will get an argument but other than that my interests are into training players not talking trash about kids.

So lets just get ready for a great season. Grundy and Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion it should likely be another close game, unless the teams are very unevenly matched talent wise which is rare, then the game is almost always goign to be very close. And people can simply do away with the thought of either a bluefield or graham team ever overlooking the other.

My thoughts on the teams themselves, bluefield di graduate a lot of firepower with some key players graduating, but in my opinion bradshaw as a player was equal to that firepower for graham. In short it seems they basically cancel any graduation advantages or disadvantes out for either team.

Who can bluefield pass to without marriotti, quite easily the answer is their rb's, marriotti was unfortunately

underused as a reciever anyhow, and much of bluefield's passing game was to their recievers out of the backfield.

I don't recall having any receptions, purdue however has proven to be an exceptional all around player and reciever on o. His hands are almost as good as marriotti's.

Considering bluefield's common talent level, they should be able to have a quality reciever at wideout who is good enough to maintain a strong overall passing game for bluefield. Their ground game should be strong as well with purdue, and the steptoes. I don't know who is going to be fb, of course there are the rumors of charlie tyne's relative transferring to bluefield.

Bluefield will still be strong, quick and physical on d, and should have some exceptional players on d, such as t.j. morris.

Bluefield is also expected to have lucas stone for extra points and field goals.

Graham will likely be stronger from the overall team concept without bradshaw, and I won't comment on individuals as I don't know their underclassmen players, and from reading here they should have a number of quality players at the skill position, as should bluefield.

A question there though is will that team concept be as ready by game 1? Maybe, maybe not.

In my opinion the difference is bluefield will still likely overall be 1 class ahead of graham with their backfield, qb and some key linemen being seniors on o, combined with their experience, 28 games in '02 and '03 and many with games from '01, they're going to be a very experienced group of seniors.

Myself, GOD willing I might start watching the games from outside the stadium again from a different vantage point though as we bought another dog. I have my others, but this 1's going to be another working caliber dog that will do well on leash and running up in the woods at halftime.

<font color="brown"> GOD bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </font>

Will be interesting. Both return quarterbacks, so don't expect to see the confusion Graham demonstrated last year from either team. Stephen Brown, maybe not an impact yet, but is the fastest man alive. Wildcard is Henderson, he gets stronger every minute. Graham's upcoming physical giants of the future will start to emerge, but don't expect a size advantage yet. Throw in Graham's eventual Div I talent in Bovi, and I say they make a good showing. If Graham takes this one from Bluefield, we've turned the corner on a new era. Graham will beat Bluefield the following two years. The towns are going in two different directions, and the available talent base will reflect that.

Appreciate it BR.

I had written that around a week ago and I obviously posted the unedited writing. Will edit it some so it makes more sense.

Anyhow, everything's been well. No complaints.

Enjoying our pup Fenris who's growing fast.

His photos are here.

Fenris

Looking forward to football season, but no hurry, 1 day at a time and taking nothing for granted.

What is the status on Tynes's cousin? A talented and big fb lb would be make a big difference likely.

Hope all is well there and with everyone else.

Gettin my vehicle stuck in the woods last oct., didn't turn out so bad in hindsight. Had to buy another 1.

145jeep1-med.jpg

Won't edit, to much time. Anyhow, main error was about purdue as a reciever out of the backfield, should have written I don't know how many recpetions he had, but he had some big, key receptions throughout the season and he has exceptional hands.

"If Graham takes this one from Bluefield, we've turned the corner on a new era. Graham will beat Bluefield the following two years."

With all due respect that's counting a lot of chickens before they hatch.

"The towns are going in two different directions, and the available talent base will reflect that."

I agree with the 1st statement in that, but that's been the case for some time, and that said I'm not certain if it will reflect that so much in talent though, unless graham is expected to increase in enrollment size "considerably".

Bluefield will always have talent.

Good to know everything is going well. The pup looks good. The one dog, "Red Dog," looks like a bear (lol). As for the vehicle, I guess everything does happen for a reason and usually works out for the better.

I don't know the status of Tynes' supposed cousin. I've not had any rock-solid confirmation, so I'm still in wait and see mode. We've heard of transfer rumors many times in the past that nothing came of. Someone of that size would certainly be a welcomed addition to the team.

I too am looking forward to football season, but I'm not wishing away the summer. I've got a summer class that starts June 7 and runs until July 2. I've been trying to find a job as well, but having absolutely no luck there.

Actually Buzzsaw, Perdue lead Bluefield in TD receptions last year with six or seven so he's certainly capable of catching the ball. We've got a couple of incoming freshmen (Manns and Ponder) that I have been told are big-time athletes at receiver. Lets hope they stick around...