Princeton may be getting turf...

beaverball

[ QUOTE ]

I believe it was given by private donations....but still. Our sports in my opinion is way more important than adding on a couple bathrooms and dressing rooms

[/ QUOTE ]

But 'Rocks...its all about the whole realm of education which not only includes readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmatic but the extracurriculars as well (fine arts, athletics, etc...).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I believe it was given by private donations....but still. Our sports in my opinion is way more important than adding on a couple bathrooms and dressing rooms

[/ QUOTE ]

But 'Rocks...its all about the whole realm of education which not only includes readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmatic but the extracurriculars as well (fine arts, athletics, etc...).

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was there we were up for a West Virginia Blue Ribbon school of Excellence. The week before the representatives came all you heard from the administration was to be on your best behavior and they even went as far to change the day of senior skip day and paint the hallways. It was just ridiculous that it had to take something like that for them to try to fix it up. I blame some of it on MC but also some blame on the school administration which was did a pretty crappy job while I was there.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Was that when we were a "school of excellence" or whatever? i believe i remember that, i think i was a freshman

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think they announced it at our graduation that we were awarded the school of excellence award. You probably were a freshman the year after I left.

[ QUOTE ]

Amazing how the MCSB will drop $300,000 on Princeton High School...what are they going to do for Bluefield, PikeView, and Montcalm???

I pretty sure Montcalm didn't get a dime from the MCSB when they were starting their football program...everything they've got was either donated or they raised money for it.

If I were an official for the City of Bluefield...I'd be calling BS on this one and asking the MCSB where the heck is the money for our schools and children????

Come on Mayor Moore, Vice-Mayor Whalen, Directors Sarver, Bailey, and Crabtree...its time to step it up and get it in gear!!!

Those people in Princeton LOVE to screw Bluefield every chance they get...and it looks like your getting the BIG ONE this time.

You people were elected for a reason...here it is...NOW REPRESENT!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're playing devil's advocate or not. You know very well that for most government bureaucrats to relaese moneies into a community that that community must be showing private investment at that time. That's a basic "spending frenzy" governmenmental pattern.

Princeton is building restraunts, hotels and other structures and Bluefield isn't. This situation with the private investment coming in makes it easier for the MCSB to justify spending money in Princeton right now than Bluefield.

I'm not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Amazing how the MCSB will drop $300,000 on Princeton High School...what are they going to do for Bluefield, PikeView, and Montcalm???

I pretty sure Montcalm didn't get a dime from the MCSB when they were starting their football program...everything they've got was either donated or they raised money for it.

If I were an official for the City of Bluefield...I'd be calling BS on this one and asking the MCSB where the heck is the money for our schools and children????

Come on Mayor Moore, Vice-Mayor Whalen, Directors Sarver, Bailey, and Crabtree...its time to step it up and get it in gear!!!

Those people in Princeton LOVE to screw Bluefield every chance they get...and it looks like your getting the BIG ONE this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're playing devil's advocate or not. You know very well that for most government bureaucrats to relaese moneies into a community that that community must be showing private investment at that time. That's a basic "spending frenzy" governmenmental pattern.

Princeton is building restraunts, hotels and other structures and Bluefield isn't. This situation with the private investment coming in makes it easier for the MCSB to justify spending money in Princeton right now than Bluefield.

[/ QUOTE ]

You covered all and everything that was meant by my post...the lack of initiative that the City of Bluefield and its Administrators/Representatives have taken over the years in trying to "grow" its business/area. The money going to PHS's field is just a microcosm of that lack of initiative. Those that run the City of Bluefield are still waiting for KING COAL to make its comeback...well, it has come back but not to Bluefield...railroad...gone...coal support industries...gone...future...going rapidly...

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You covered all and everything that was meant by my post...the lack of initiative that the City of Bluefield and its Administrators/Representatives have taken over the years in trying to "grow" its business/area. The money going to PHS's field is just a microcosm of that lack of initiative. Those that run the City of Bluefield are still waiting for KING COAL to make its comeback...well, it has come back but not to Bluefield...railroad...gone...coal support industries...gone...future...going rapidly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called high taxes ladies ans gentlemen. If you notice all of the businesses that open are in Bluefield, Va. Princeton has more businesses because its bigger. You take Wal Mart and the Mall from BLuefield and you are taking almost everything away.

And the mall is almost belly-up !........ If blfd va gets this "outlet mall" going there by sams and all that, the mall will go bye-bye. There's already talk of a movie theatre coming in Princston soon.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called high taxes ladies ans gentlemen. If you notice all of the businesses that open are in Bluefield, Va. Princeton has more businesses because its bigger. You take Wal Mart and the Mall from BLuefield and you are taking almost everything away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Princeton didn't use to be "bigger" than Bluefield...Bluefield has allowed Princeton to become "bigger" than Bluefield due to the City of Bluefield not being "business friendly"...THE reason so many businesses have opened up in Bluefield, VA and Princeton during this time. The City of Bluefield has always wanted business to return to "downtown"...businesses did not want to open up "downtown" but in other places within the Bluefield city limits...ie. the Rt. 460/John Nash Blvd. area...the City of Bluefield has nixed every one of those ideas/opportunities thus these interested businesses took there "business" elsewhere. Now, Bluefield has the reputation of not being "business friendly" and no new businesses want to move into the City limits period...

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Princeton didn't use to be "bigger" than Bluefield...Bluefield has allowed Princeton to become "bigger" than Bluefield due to the City of Bluefield not being "business friendly"...THE reason so many businesses have opened up in Bluefield, VA and Princeton during this time. The City of Bluefield has always wanted business to return to "downtown"...businesses did not want to open up "downtown" but in other places within the Bluefield city limits...ie. the Rt. 460/John Nash Blvd. area...the City of Bluefield has nixed every one of those ideas/opportunities thus these interested businesses took there "business" elsewhere. Now, Bluefield has the reputation of not being "business friendly" and no new businesses want to move into the City limits period...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you blame businesses for not wanting to open up in downtown Bluefield? I don't. It looks like pure hell in my opinion. I know that they were suppose to fund a beautifying project but I haven't seen any results.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Downtown by the railroad tracks? i wouldnt put a crackhouse up down there. Its pathetic looking

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah exactly. Pretty much all of those buildings need to be demolished.

I'm not certain I agree about princeton and bluefield's business initives being a factor in how much $s the board of education allots for each school. But even so bluefield has shown a lot of initive itself with mitchell stadium in the last decade, they have likely a million $s in renovations, particularly to the structure which was maybe $ 800,000 s itself. As for princeton, they have i 77 traffic to thank and only I77 traffic to thank for their smaller business boom, consider princeton's downtown itself, nothing anymore than bluefield's, it's simply that interchange that princeton has. I'm not certain anything would have mattered in downtown bluefield, meters or taxes regardless, downtowns in smaller cities just aren't able to compete with the wal marts, lowes, ect.,

I'm not certain if there's any answer for bluefield becoming a business prosperous town anymore.

We'll always be the beavers though.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you blame businesses for not wanting to open up in downtown Bluefield? I don't. It looks like pure hell in my opinion. I know that they were suppose to fund a beautifying project but I haven't seen any results.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't blame them and the is my point...MANY new businesses have wanted to build in Bluefield along Rt. 460/John Nash Blvd. and the City has said no to them...that is why they have gone other places. Other than that area of Bluefield, there is no other place to build/put in new businesses/stores/restaurants/hotels.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't blame them and the is my point...MANY new businesses have wanted to build in Bluefield along Rt. 460/John Nash Blvd. and the City has said no to them...that is why they have gone other places. Other than that area of Bluefield, there is no other place to build/put in new businesses/stores/restaurants/hotels.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT!! Are you kidding me?

Businesses actually help the community??

Giving businesses tax breaks actually jumpstart the community, NO, say it is not true!!! So are we seeing an example of how any business, big or small (Wal-Mart the exception, but that is another debate), is necessary for a strong economy, hmmmm?

Wow, so taxing businesses higher actually hurts the community, thus hurting the citizens??

I apologize for my satire; I am just tired of the liberal ideology that higher taxes for businesses are better for the ‘little guy.’

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

William J.H. Boetcker

In response to Princeton "building" their economy out by the interchange, lets keep in mind that none of that area is in the city of Princeton. That is all outside the city limits and the city of Princeton gets nothing from taxes from any of that area. So the businesses don't have to pay anything but county taxes and its near a major interchange. Makes it look like Princeton is doing so much, when in actuality, they are NOT!

[ QUOTE ]

In response to Princeton "building" their economy out by the interchange, lets keep in mind that none of that area is in the city of Princeton. That is all outside the city limits and the city of Princeton gets nothing from taxes from any of that area. So the businesses don't have to pay anything but county taxes and its near a major interchange. Makes it look like Princeton is doing so much, when in actuality, they are NOT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the City of Princeton...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, didn't Princeton vote to annex that area a year or two ago? I know they were talking about it back before I moved to Virginia...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, didn't Princeton vote to annex that area a year or two ago? I know they were talking about it back before I moved to Virginia...

[/ QUOTE ]

B_R...I think you are correct...