Graham has only nine games on 2004 schedule...

GMan

From the VHSL website...

8/27 at Bluefield

9/3 Blacksburg

9/10 at Marion

9/17 Virginia High

9/24 Richlands

10/1 at Abingdon

10/8 Grundy

10/15 Tazewell

11/5 at Carroll Co.

Two weeks off between Tazewell and Carroll Co. and another week off after Carroll Co. before playoffs...lots of "down time" late in the season.

2 games in 5 weeks at the end of the season doesn,t do much for momentium, and everybody knows how "rusty" a team is after only a week off. I sure hope they can find another game

According to the SSAC website Princeton only has nine games and has an open date on the weekend of October 22nd. I'm not really sure Princeton would play Graham though b/c they dropped them a couple of years ago after getting beat a couple of consecutive times...

Maybe Graham is just too good of a team and nobody wants to play them! Sometimes having a powerhouse football program has its drawbacks. Martinsville was kicked out of the Piedmont District back in the late 70's early 80's because nobody in the district wanted to play them. Today Martinsville no longer has those back to back strong teams and its not to hard to fill up their schedule. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

According to the SSAC website Princeton only has nine games and has an open date on the weekend of October 22nd. I'm not really sure Princeton would play Graham though b/c they dropped them a couple of years ago after getting beat a couple of consecutive times...

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that too. It also appears Iaeger needs a game, 10-29 open

Graham v. Iaeger would be a slaughter for the ages. The game would be over by the end of the 1st quarter much like Bluefield's games against Liberty and Lee High last season. At least Princeton could challenge Graham. It would be a game though and keep Graham in a routine. Anything would beat having two straight weeks off at the end of the season.

I know for a fact Graham contacted Iaeger a while back and Iaeger told them they already had a game on that date. Don't know if that is true and the WVSSAC schedule doesn't reflect it or if Iaeger may be ducking a trip to the woodshed...

[ QUOTE ]

I know for a fact Graham contacted Iaeger a while back and Iaeger told them they already had a game on that date. Don't know if that is true and the WVSSAC schedule doesn't reflect it or if Iaeger may be ducking a trip to the woodshed...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go with B, they're ducking Graham and for good reason...lol

talk this spring at ad meetings, graham and bluefield were talking about playing each other twice. wow, what a increase in the schools budgets if it would happen. i know that schools in northern va have been playing teams in their districts twice for years. i think some even met in the playoffs again after playing twice in the same year.

That idea was passed on to Bluefield since both had a common open date. Bluefield passed on the idea. They have since picked up Martinsburg to fill their schedule.

"That idea was passed on to Bluefield since both had a common open date. Bluefield passed on the idea."

I was very enthusiastic with the martinsubrg game. Anyone know if it's a 2 game series?

As for playing graham 2 times in 1 season, in most cases without hesitation I'd say go ahead and do something unique like so, with most teams, but I'm not certain I'd care to see such a tradtional game and event changed for even 1 year myself.

lets hope that the princeton tigers will call and ask to play the gmen this year. it would be a good game for both at the gate and game. i myself would love to see the game restarted if graham cannot find a team to fill the schedule on a regular basis. just think playing two of the teams from mercer county each year that could become a great rivalry almost as good as graham beaver. so come on princeton get the coach to call and see if it can be worked out for this year.

[ QUOTE ]

lets hope that the princeton tigers will call and ask to play the gmen this year. it would be a good game for both at the gate and game. i myself would love to see the game restarted if graham cannot find a team to fill the schedule on a regular basis. just think playing two of the teams from mercer county each year that could become a great rivalry almost as good as graham beaver. so come on princeton get the coach to call and see if it can be worked out for this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't hold my breath. Princeton's coach has always been known to setup a more favorable schedule when they're rebuilding and inexperienced, which this year appears to be for them. Who knows, maybe Spardo (sp?) will get a set and make the game happen. You can always learn from losing, but you don't learn from not playing...

i am not holding my breath br. it is a lot like beaver when you tend to win each year fewer and fewer teams want to take the chance and play you. but like you said you do learn from a loss, you learn what kind of team you are and what you need to work on, but by not playing the better teams you do not learn or by not playing a game you learn nothing. i just hope that graham can find a game with someone.having the off time will not be good for the gmen come playoff time if they make it there this year.

I've always been of the opinion that Mt. View was a good game for Graham.

What about Lee County? From the boosters meeting last fall (2003), we have entered into a gentlemen's agreement to play the "old Southwest District" teams anyway. It's only a matter of time before the Highlands and Southwest are reunified into what was and what will be the Southwest District? (possibly under another name)

Yes, they were invited into the Conference this year...their schedule will reflect the change beginning next season. They won't have any open dates then...

Dont worry, I think sooner or later Lee County's rotten and sneaky little school board, will eventually give in. When you mention Lee dont make it sound as if everyone is against moving to the SWD, because thats not true, I myself woould like to see it. Like some have said, it isnt travel that is affecting the academics, its discipline, a drug problem somewhat (mainly goes along with the discipline problem, and others like respect, dedication, and so on. Travel is a pretty big problem that may be a problem later on down the road, but right now I dont see it as a problem. This travel problem could actually be helped by joining the SWD. I have heard Richlands is helping with the football situation, and in other sports somebody on here said that district games would be played on Friday or Saturday, if so that would be fine. Once again like others have said those teams have to travel here. Hey if this 4A system is started sometime soon, then that would solve everyone's problems. I think Lee should go ahead and do it, by staying where they are, is only making things worse.

Oh, did you all know the School Board is filing a lawsuit against the VHSL for lost time in class. A study was done by a committee, that committe found that student-athletes at lee high have not met the required 180 days of school. They said that student-athletes have missed 7th period some sixty-times, 6th and 7th around 40, and 5th, 6th, and 7th over 30 times. I could be off a litte, but thats what they basically said, and this brought to the VHSL's attention and they were suppossed to contact Lee on the issue in which to discuss a possible solution, but the VHSL never reported back by the date that was set, so Lee is now going ahead with the lawsuit. I dont know how to respond to this decision, however, I hope that they arent shooting their selves in the foot on this action.